(Help) Using A Old CD Drive for my System?

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
So I found 2 Old CD Drives laying around and i want to use one for my system to install Windows from. They are both from 2007. I put one in my case and powered it with a molex cable but I have no other cables that match whats on the drive. There are like huge long areas of pins.

If you know how I can hook it up please tell me thanks!

bliq

Distinguished
you need to have a motherboard that has an IDE port. the cables are a 40 or 80 pin ribbon cable and are extremely common. I probably have a couple dozen in my garage.

Are you trying to hook it up to the system in your sig? you will need an IDE to SATA adapter in which case, you may as well just buy a SATA DVD-RW as they are about the same price.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Now let me guess, both of the Cd/dvd drives have what we call a 40 pin IDE cable that connects from the back of the drive to a 40 pin IDE connector block on the Motherboard.
Most new boards have phased the interface out since it is so old, replacing it with the Sata data interface. Your out of luck if the board does not have a 40 pin IDE block.
The only other thing to do is buy a Pci add in card to IDE interface ect.

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012

I might aswell just buy a new Cd drive then lol.

But am I able to use a USB to put the iso of my Windows 7 Disk on and use that? Will it be the same as using the cd?

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
EDIT- Got it working

Now I am wondering why my hard drive isn't showing up on the computer only the SSD shows up?

and how do I get the "program files" and such to go on my hard drive instead of ssd? I want game save and all those random programs I download to be filling hard drive not ssd?