Sign in with
Your question

How's this look?

Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2010 7:59:25 PM

Hi, I'm trying to put together a decent spec machine for the first time. Have been reading a fair bit on these forums, but this is my first post here :) 

I've got a setup in mind, I'm just after a second opinion in case I've missed a good deal/screwed up heh. I'll mostly be using it for gaming and movies. I plan on going CrossFire in the future, but for now I'll prob stick to the one card to save costs. Also, I'd like to stay with AMD Black since I plan to OC it a bit as well.

I'll use newegg for price reference (seems to be the done thing around here ;)  ) but I'm from the UK though so don't worry about rebates/combo deals as they don't ship internationally. I don't really want to get anymore expensive, but cheaper is always good as long as it doesn't compromise on the performance too much.

MOBO: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965

(CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper TX3)

MEMORY: 8GB 1333MHz DDR3

GRAPHICS: Radeon HD 5770 1GB

HARD DRIVE: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

CD/DVD: Lite-On iHAS124

CASE: Antec P183

PSU: Antec CP 850

Would the CP 1000W be a better choice if I'm planning to go 2 x Radeon 5770?

MONITOR: LG W2353V 23"

So yeah, what d'you guys think?

More about : question

September 29, 2010 8:05:37 PM

I would get a newer 8xx series (870, 880 or 890) chipset motherboard which will have SATA3 and USB3. The price wont be much different.

The CP850 could power about 6-8 of those 5770s. The 5770 is only a mid-range graphics card and is one of the most power/heat efficient.

8GB RAM is a waste unless you know why you are getting it.

Get the Hyper 212 plus instead of the TX3. The larger 120mm fan will spin slower and stay quieter. It matches your case choice much better.

You would get better gaming performance by reducing some of your other expenses (CPU, Case, PSU) and getting a stronger graphics card like a 5850.
September 29, 2010 8:20:41 PM

You don't need a FX chipset, you can Xfire fine with a GX chipset.

GA 890 for ex, $140 and has SATA 6 usb 3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A 955 is all you need. A 965 is basically a factory overclock, I doubt the chips are even binned separately.

A good PSU choice would be a XFX 750W BE if you end up going with a 5850/5870. A XFX 650W is fine if you plan on xfiring 5770's.

All of dnd's advice is good.

Related resources
September 29, 2010 8:30:06 PM

banthracis said:
All of dnd's advice is good.
Thats not what my wife says. :lol: 
September 30, 2010 12:41:34 PM

Cheers for the replies!

Quote:
8GB RAM is a waste unless you know why you are getting it.
The only reason I was looking at going for 8GB was that I do a lot of flood modelling (I'm a Civil Engineering PhD student) and it's very mem hungry. However, after looking at it a bit more I'll prob go with 4GB 1333MHz with a low CL.

Quote:
Get the Hyper 212 plus instead of the TX3
Done! Don't know how I missed that one heh.

Quote:
You would get better gaming performance by reducing some of your other expenses (CPU, Case, PSU)
I'm pretty happy with shelling out a bit more for the case (I love the way it looks and it's very good with airflow/cables) and the Antec CP PSU has had some amzing reviews, plus it should leave ample room for future expansions while not getting too stressed with the current set up. At least that's my thinking anyways...

Quote:
I would get a newer 8xx series (870, 880 or 890) chipset motherboard which will have SATA3 and USB3. The price wont be much different.
Quote:
You don't need a FX chipset, you can Xfire fine with a GX chipset.
Indeed, I think I spent the most time dicking around deciding which mobo to go for. Since you both recommend the same one and it has everything I need while being fairly cheap I'll prob go with it :) 

Quote:
A 955 is all you need. A 965 is basically a factory overclock, I doubt the chips are even binned separately.
There doesn't seem to be much difference in price (~£10) between the 955 and 965, surely the 965 is worth £10 more? Or can they both be overclocked to exactly the same speed without dieing?

I think my main concern is whether it's better to XFire 5770's in the near future (2 x £100) or to spend £200 now and stick with a single 5850 for a much longer time. What do you guys think?
September 30, 2010 1:14:59 PM

HD 5850 and ditch any plans to CF/SLI and await availability/pricing for HD 6K and/or Fermi's successor Kepler for next upgrade cycle GPU slot ^^
September 30, 2010 5:00:52 PM

Pierre Le Biere said:

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be much difference in price (~£10) between the 955 and 965, surely the 965 is worth £10 more? Or can they both be overclocked to exactly the same speed without dieing?

the 955 can be set to 965 speeds by changing one setting in bios which will take you less then 5 minutes,the 955's currently clock a lil better then the 965's .a 955 holds the current amd clock record actuallly
!