Another Case of the Black Screen

poker158149

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I seem to only have this problem with newer games. It usually happens with The Godfather 2, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, and A.V.A.

After playing for 10-30 minutes, my screen just goes black. I can still hear sound, though. The screen goes black and nothing I can do will restore it. No words pop up, nothing. Just black. I have to restart my computer every time.

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit, 8 Gigs of RAM, Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo @ 3.06GHz processor, and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics card at 1600 x 900 resolution.

I just don't know what's going on with my screen. Some people say it's an overheating problem while others say it's a resolution thing. I'm pretty sure my problem isn't with resolution, so that leaves me with overheating. Is this really the cause? If so, how do I fix it? I have one of those cooling pads, but it doesn't do much.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Download GPUz, and log the temperature to a file. either play the game, or run something like MSI Kombustor.

almost certainly the GPU, but it could either be heat, power or simply a driver problem.

you do have the latest drivers right?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You say you continue to hear sound, only the monitor goes black. That should be an indication of a problem related to graphics chip/card. It should not be overheating gfx card issue because your laptop does not freeze. It should be a driver issue.

In certain cases, when the monitor goes black, then the video returns after a few seconds. This is called TDR. In your case, it does not return or you do not wait long enough for its recovery.

What version CCC do you have ? AMD now issues new driver releases for laptops as well except for a few manufacturers, such as Toshiba.

You can try new CCC to see if it resolves the issue.

poker158149

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
All of my drivers and CCC are up to date. This doesn't happen to every game I play, only newer ones with higher graphics. I usually wait about 15 seconds before restarting. Usually I can still hear sound, but there have been times where the computer froze.

EDIT: According to GPUz, my temp stays between 50 and 52 degrees Celsius. Today it lasted for about an hour before going black. After it went black, the sound continued for about 15 seconds, then it froze.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
RMA means to return it to get fixed.

only happening with the newer games usually means the load on the card is the culprit. a faulty GPU will return incorrect info and cause a video crash. similar to how a CPU will crash the OS when unstably overclocked and handing out the wrong numbers, a GPU can crash a video driver when its faulty.