Single 5870 vs. crossfired 5870 results

Status
Not open for further replies.

mresseguie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi. I've had an XFX 5870 for a few months now and really love it, so I think I'd like to get a second one to get even better results. I guess my question is "Will I actually notice a difference in games when I crossfire two 5870s vs. only one?" I know my FPS will increase, but will I be able to see the increased performance?

I play games ranging from HALO to TF2 to LFD1 to Modern Warfare. I play at 1920 X 1200 res. on a 24" monitor. I don't really expect to see a difference in Halo or TF2.

My CPU is an i5 750 with 4 GB RAM, 1 XFX 5870. I have Win7.

Thanks.

Solution
at the very least, it will allow you to crank up the AA while still keeping playable framerates.

games that run below par already (crysis, metro2033 or mafia 2) will certainly benefit, but if you are already maxing your games and getting more than 30fps, you probably don't need to upgrade.

being able to use 24 pass Edge-Detect AA would be nice though...
Are there any games you play that you cant max out already or notice some stuttering in? If so then you will notice a difference in adding a second one as it will let you crank the settings up while still keeping playable frame rates. If you are satisfied with the performance in all your games then there is no reason to upgrade. Only upgrade when you need to otherwise you will spend a lot of money you didnt need to.

+1^
A 5870 can handle those games without a problem on 1920x1200.Getting another 5870 will give you a boost but when you can max out those games with a good FPS,then why spend for another card?
Upgrade when you don't get the performance you need.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
at the very least, it will allow you to crank up the AA while still keeping playable framerates.

games that run below par already (crysis, metro2033 or mafia 2) will certainly benefit, but if you are already maxing your games and getting more than 30fps, you probably don't need to upgrade.

being able to use 24 pass Edge-Detect AA would be nice though...

Solution

mresseguie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I'd like to thank each of you for your input. I'm glad I asked in that I can save myself a few hundred dollars by not buying a 2nd card.

I've got to wonder though, why do some people Crossfire or SLI high-end cards such as the 5800 series or the new GTX 400 series when they're already maxing out their games? Do they imagine seeing those extra FPS or just a little more detail? Or is it something to do with hormones and the need to one-up the guy with the hot computer?

Game on!

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.