3D Really that awesome?

monstermankc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
The only thing keeping me from buying and or waiting for the ATI 6 series cards is that they dont support 3D (i think). Im tempted to buy the GTX480's (3 of them) so that I can get the same performance as quad crossfire ATI 5970's but in 3D. So that brings me to my question. Is 3D really that awesome? I have seen movies in 3D and it is great when it is done right but for gaming?I dont know. What major games does it really rock on. The other issue is I would have to buy a small screen (like 23 inches) when Im used to a 27 " Dell U2711. Somebody convince me. Ive have heard the experience is unreal( like good) when playing in 3D but id like to hear from someone that has the setup. I would go check it out at a frys and try it or something but I cant while im out of the country for the next 11 months. I have the money so that isn't the issue however I dont want to waste money or do an RMA because I made a lowsey ill informed choice. Any arguments?

Sorry about spelling ....on my iphone :D

Solution
It sucks to say but its one of those things you have to see to tell if you like or not. I love it, I can't afford it, but I've played with it and I like it... a lot. I know for one if I started gaming with it I probably wouldn't want to switch back.

Then again a lot of people don't like that (for good reasons), however saying you like 3D in movies I am inclined to say you would like it for gaming also, but like I said its really something you need to wait to try.

Plus 3D gaming is immature, waiting 11 months won't kill you, by then we will probably see it mature a bit and we could have bigger screens, better graphics, new ATI cards (that may support it).

So yeah, if I were in your shoes I'd just wait.

Helltech

Distinguished
It sucks to say but its one of those things you have to see to tell if you like or not. I love it, I can't afford it, but I've played with it and I like it... a lot. I know for one if I started gaming with it I probably wouldn't want to switch back.

Then again a lot of people don't like that (for good reasons), however saying you like 3D in movies I am inclined to say you would like it for gaming also, but like I said its really something you need to wait to try.

Plus 3D gaming is immature, waiting 11 months won't kill you, by then we will probably see it mature a bit and we could have bigger screens, better graphics, new ATI cards (that may support it).

So yeah, if I were in your shoes I'd just wait.

Solution

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

Wait GTX 495. It is supposed to be dual core 460 . I bet it will come out earlier than ATI 6 series. if you plan to use them play game, you should select nvidia. there is too many bug by using crossfire. benchmark wont tell you the truth.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i dislike it. a cool feature, but it doesn't add anything to the experience. instead you get a noticeable loss of quality, and a reduction in framerates.

ATI are currently working on 3d driver though. so if you do want it, there's no reason you can get ATIs 6 series cards and just wait until they support 3d. but no one knows how long it will be. if you have the cash, but not the patience, just get 2 480's now.

itouchedyou

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
My friend has a system with 460's in SLI and the 24" ASUS screen. Initially the experience is awesome but I could only play in sessions of 30 mins before my head started to pound. If you went triple screen though that would solve your monitor size issues if you dont mind the picture being separated by the bezels.

And like welshmousepk said, ATI are working on their own 3d software and have been for a while now, who knows when it will be released. Also when you play games in 3d you will be a LOT worse then playing on a normal screen. Its great for a while but i think after a while you will start to regret spending the cash on the 3d screen and the glasses...

But wow 3x 480's in one purchase, your power bill is gunna go craaazy