I ran program to see if XP will work with my PC..a

BlueRain

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Now i don't know if i want to upgrade ( AFTER THE RESULTS)..my PC runs perfect with ME

Blue

See results below..

Warnings (return to top)
The following issues might require you to obtain files from Microsoft Windows Update Web site or a manufacturer's Web site. You can still continue to upgrade to Windows XP without resolving these issues, but some hardware or software might not work. Follow the recommendations in each section.
Hardware Compatibility Issues
Setup has found hardware on your computer that is incompatible with (that is, it does not work with) Windows XP.

Hardware That Might Need Additional Files
The following hardware might need additional files in order to work with Windows XP. Contact your hardware vendors to obtain Windows XP compatible updates. In many cases, if a Windows XP version is not yet available, a Windows 2000 compatible update should work. It is recommended that you obtain these drivers in advance.
You can also view the Microsoft Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List on the Web.

Please note that some of the following entries might be software that is registered as hardware.

Network adapters
iVasion PoET Adapter

Printer
EPSON Stylus Photo 1280 (not currently present)

SCSI controllers
Win9x-ME Promise FastTrak100 (tm) Controller

Sound, video and game controllers
HiPix DTV-200 Video Capture

Software Compatibility Issues
Software That Does Not Support Windows XP
Setup has found programs on your computer that are incompatible with (that is, they do not work with) Windows XP. Contact your software vendors to obtain updates or Windows XP-compatible versions. If you don't update these programs before you upgrade, the programs will not work after the upgrade is completed.

Disc Detector (in Control Panel)
MSP5900-U WDM Driver (in Control Panel)

Before you upgrade to Windows XP, you should remove any incompatible programs if you can. After the upgrade, uninstall for these programs might not work. Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel can help you uninstall most programs. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click Add/Remove Programs.
Norton 2000 and 2001 Software
It is recommended that you uninstall all of the following products before upgrading: Norton AntiVirus, Norton SystemWorks, and Norton Utilities. Please contact the vendor for versions that support this version of Windows.
Norton AntiVirus
This program may have compatibility issues on this version of Windows.

ZoneAlarm
ZoneAlarm has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows. For an update that is compatible with this version of Windows, contact Zone Labs, Inc..

Software That Must Be Reinstalled
The following programs need to be reinstalled after the upgrade, because they use different files and settings in Windows XP.

Creative PlayCenter 2
Easy CD Creator 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helpful Information (return to top)
The following issues are listed for your information only. You can continue the upgrade to Windows XP.
Software Compatibility Issues

Incompatible Hardware Accessories
The following programs support your computer hardware; however, they are incompatible with Windows XP. To see whether updated versions of these programs are available, visit your hardware manufacturer's Web site.

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Accessories
IntelliPoint (on the Start menu)

Software That Might Not Support Windows XP
Setup cannot determine if the following programs are compatible with Windows XP. Setup will disable them during the upgrade to eliminate the risk of problems. Contact the software vendor to obtain an upgrade pack.

Creative PDE Detector (a startup program)
Shortcut to Verizon Online Dial-Up (a startup program)
WinPPPoverEthernet Service (a startup program)

Notes About Your Other Software
This section describes issues that might affect other software you use. Be sure to read this section before you begin the upgrade to Windows XP.

Microsoft Outlook 2000
After Windows XP Setup is complete, you have to reinstall Microsoft Outlook 2000. To do this, start Outlook. If Outlook 2000 is part of your Startup folder, reinstallation will automatically begin the first time you log on to Windows XP. Reinstallation takes a while, and the progress bar restarts several times.

General Information
This section provides important information that you need to be aware of before you upgrade.

Backup Files Found
Setup found files on your computer that appear to be a backup of part of Windows Millennium Edition. During the upgrade to Windows XP, Setup removes Windows Millennium Edition from your computer, including any backups you might have on your hard disk. Some files in the following folders will be removed:

c:\WINMECD\WIN9X
c:\WINMECD\WIN9X\OLS\AOL
c:\WINMECD\WIN9X\OLS\AT_T

Protect your backup files by copying them to floppy disks, a network server, a compressed archive file, or other backup mechanism

Here's the link to check your PC....<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp" target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp</A>

Blue

" Soon My Friend , Soon...."

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you're perfectly happy, then there's no reason to upgrade, right? :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Do you have any partitioning or imaging software, so you can at least save your current configuration? That's what I'd recommend.

That was a lot to read, and I got dizzy, so I didn't read everything. Do you have XP, or did you just wanna know if you should buy it?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"If it ain't broke ... don't fix it."

If you install WinXP without doing some upgrading, you're going to have a lot of stuff "broken". That'll definitely cure your boredom, but not in a good way.

Your choice.

But you'll need drivers for at least five devices, including an IDE controller card that will need the drivers loading during the installation. And you have several sofware programs that are incompatible with WinXP without an update, such as an older version of Norton SystemWorks, your firewall, your CD burning program, and the software bundle that came with your sound card, among others.

You should also be aware the program used to determine XP compatibility is buggy, and may miss detecting some incompatible devices in critical areas.

I highly suggest, if you are really preparing to install XP, that you do a clean installation, and <i>do not</i> overwrite your old version of WinME ... or you're going to be in a world-of-hurt, as my old grandpa used to say.

I hope you really like the color blue, because your display is going to be showing you a few pretty blue screens after that upgrade ... and not much else.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

BlueRain

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Toejam,

I love the color blue ,but not that much..LOL

I think i will wait until more drivers come out, also for the price to come down so i can do a clean install like you suggested.

Thanks so much.

GOD BLESS AMERICA NOW AND FOREVER

Debra

" Soon My Friend , Soon...."

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd say go for it.

If you just perform an upgrade, there's an option in XP that will let you uninstall the OS and revert back to your previous one.

When I did my upgrade, I found that a few programs wouldn't work anymore, but all I had to do in order to fix them was do a reinstallation. Now everything works.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nm

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Toejam31 on 11/15/01 09:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
She already said she was curious and would like to try it. And I'm sure that 95% of her programs will work after an upgrade, and 99% sure that all of them will work after she reinstalls the ones that don't work.

She wanted to know if there were going to be any serious problems, and I'm telling her that I don't believe there will be.

I'm sure that she will also find that there are a lot of new features that she will enjoy if she gets XP as well.

About the drivers, well, let's just say that I have a non-brand name NIC, yet XP installed working drivers automatically; I didn't even have to put in the installation disk.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
She already said she was curious and would like to try it. And I'm sure that 95% of her programs will work after an upgrade, and 99% sure that all of them will work after she reinstalls the ones that don't work.

She wanted to know if there were going to be any serious problems, and I'm telling her that I don't believe there will be.

I'm sure that she will also find that there are a lot of new features that she will enjoy if she gets XP as well.

About the drivers, well, let's just say that I have a non-brand name NIC, yet XP installed working drivers automatically; I didn't even have to put in the installation disk.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Epson Stylus Photo ... no driver. Default XP driver will cause the loss of Advanced Color Management, Page Lay-out, Print Imaging, and Status Monitor features.

HiPix DTC-200 ... a $400.00 PCI card. No driver. The most recent release, which was this this month, has no support for WinXP. Win2K was just added.

Norton 2000 or 2001. Not a good idea. Norton 2001 had limited functionality in Win2K, and occasionally contributed to bad data on a hard drive due to problems between the disk defragmenting program and the Intel ATA-100 Storage Driver ... as well as corrupting keys in the Registry that made installing games and older programs very difficult or impossible without editting the Registry. And you should aware that some users are just not at that skill-level. Norton 2000 shouldn't even have be installed in Win2K, much less WinXP ... too many 16-bit utilities.

ZoneAlarm ... upgrade needed. If you are running the Pro version (and some people are), that's another $40.00.

Easy Cd Creator 4. Nope. Can't be done. And there will be no support for this version, ever. Another $30.00.

NIC card. WinXP support for Ethernet cards has been spotty, at best. You got lucky, Silver.

She would also have to download a newer version of the ISP software, and install it.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That was all there for her to read too, and she still asked. I'm assuming that she had taken most of those warnings into account.

I've heard a few XP upgrade stories and everyone has said that their NICs were supported. I haven't heard of any stories where they didn't work, and most didn't have to install driver disks, just like me.

I think the upgrade to XP from ME is worth it. I've personally dealt with 5 computers in my family that have had ME on them, and so far we have a lot of crashes and hard locks, failures to boot, a CDROM drive that won't read, a corrupted partition, a failure to connect to the network, and a non working sound card. So far, two of the computers have been upgraded, and the CDROM drive problem , sound card problem, partition corruption, and 'net problems are gone and I have to deal with a lot fewer crashes. Now to upgrade the other 3 PCs...

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You're right. Personal attacks are never acceptable. I apologize.

nm

Toejam31

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
She asked for advice, I gave her mine. While I only have XP experience with two machines, I have built a number (~20) machines and sell them on the side. I have a friend who owns a computer store, and work with him occasionally. Granted, I don't have as much experience as you probably do, but I was doing what I could to give her the benefits of my experiences. That is what she wanted. That is what I gave. Agree or not, I don't see why you have to attack me personally. You are entitled to your opinion, as I to mine. I still feel that in all of my cases so far, XP has been a good upgrade to people who own a computer running winME.

I'm sure that for every computer with a NIC you've had problems with, there are others on which XP installed flawlessly and runs just perfectly. As you pointed out, just because things happen sometimes, doesn't mean they happen all the time.

"Just the fact that you had all those problems with the systems you mentioned tells me that your troubleshooting skills are sub-par, at best. No one with any sense installs a new OS on a corrupted partition ... or installs an upgrade on a machine currently running an operating system with multiple software and hardware problems, hoping for a quick fix."

I never installed a new OS on a corrupted partition. WinME refused to boot, scandisk showed that my linux partition was corrupted (I know for a fact it wasn't), and also that some of the WinMe partition was corrupted. It then proceeded to corrupt my partition table, and I was forced to reformat with win98. I then proceeded to use the system until I upgraded to XP, which had no problems running with linux on the same disk at all.

I will forgo explaining what else was wrong and the details of my upgrade for fear of wasting more space.

Okay, now let's assume here that the few computers with winXP installed that I've worked on are the only two computers in existence to run well with the OS. What makes it so wrong for me to give the benefits of my experience here? I am trying to help as well.

So say my advice is flawed. Disagree. Fine. I can accept when I am wrong. Your argument brought up good points and it's good to let her know the bad things you've experienced with the OS. But you are not helping me out any in trying to give my advice. Not everyone here is a professional/sys admin etc. and we fill in for when you pros are not around. If only professionals were allowed to answer questions in here, this would be a much smaller community than it is now.

Sorry for wasting your time.

TRENDING THREADS