Sign in with
Your question

New Build not powering on

Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2010 8:41:34 PM

Hi I have just finished putting together a new PC. The only problem is, it won't turn on. I have everything connected to the motherboard and the LED lights on the front of the case come on but when I press the power button, nothing. Here is my built...

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
TEAC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM Drive Model DV516E/B/S
SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Any help would be much appreciated =]

More about : build powering

September 29, 2010 8:51:53 PM

Make sure your RAM is seated in the White Slots on the Motherboard. Also your Board seems designed for Tri Channel not Dual Channel yet you only have 2 DIMMS listed here. Also your use of 4 GB DIMMS may require a BIOS Update on your Motherboard. So in essence.

Update BIOS
Use White Slots on your Motherboard
Run 3 Dimms not 2 Dimms as your board is designed for Tri Channel Configurations
If you cant get a third DIMM check to see if there is a setting in BIOS you need to use to make it run on Dual Channel.
m
l
September 29, 2010 8:53:08 PM

In the READ BEFORE POSTING sticky there is a link to a "Boot Problems" guide.

Best first guess is you didnt plug in one of the necessary power cables. There are 2 that plug into the motherboard. The smaller 4/8 pin one gets forgotten all the time.
m
l
Related resources
September 29, 2010 8:55:57 PM

dndhatcher said:
In the READ BEFORE POSTING sticky there is a link to a "Boot Problems" guide.

Best first guess is you didnt plug in one of the necessary power cables. There are 2 that plug into the motherboard. The smaller 4/8 pin one gets forgotten all the time.

I do have both of the power cable plugged in. I feel like it is one of the f panel pins, the only way I can even get the LEDs to turn on is by plugging them in according to color, not by what is labeled on the mobo/manual.
m
l
September 29, 2010 9:12:41 PM

Pull up the "Boot Problems" guide from the sticky. It solves almost all of these sorts of problems if you follow the steps.

Next guess would be CPU cooler fan is not plugged into the CPU_FAN port on the motherboard. Also could be the power switch on the power supply is off. It would be better to get the guide as it already has everything I could tell you to check.
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:18:50 PM

I've finally gotten some power to this build....but nothing else. None of the fans start or anything. All of the LEDs flash for a moment but the only ones that stay on are the DDR phase LEDs. Any suggestions?
m
l
September 30, 2010 5:30:58 AM

Work through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
m
l
!