Sign in with
Your question

[Hard drives] Seagate hard drive problems?

Last response: in Storage
January 8, 2013 11:56:13 PM

I just built a new computer, everything is wowrking except my seagate 1tb hard drive. I have a kingston hyper x ssd and it recognizes that, i have my boot on that. when i plug in the sata cable into the hard drive it makes a sound on windows, like when you plug in something new to the computer, i cant get it to recognize it in the hard drive list though. i think i downloaded the correct driver....but i cant tell, can anyone help?

More about : hard drives seagate hard drive problems

January 9, 2013 12:15:42 AM

You shouldn't be plugging in the new drive while the PC is on. Turn the PC off, plug the HDD into both the data and power cables, then start the PC and go into the BIOS to make sure the HDD is recognized.
m
l
a c 89 G Storage
January 9, 2013 12:55:19 AM

chrishamy716 said:
I just built a new computer, everything is wowrking except my seagate 1tb hard drive. I have a kingston hyper x ssd and it recognizes that, i have my boot on that. when i plug in the sata cable into the hard drive it makes a sound on windows, like when you plug in something new to the computer, i cant get it to recognize it in the hard drive list though. i think i downloaded the correct driver....but i cant tell, can anyone help?

SATA does support hot-swapping devices but you must make sure that your firmware is setup correctly. Your storage controller must be in an AHCI compliant operating mode rather than an IDE operating mode. On Intel chipsets, RAID mode also enables AHCI mode.

If the drive hasn't been formatted into one or more volumes yet it will not show up in "My Computer" but it will show up in Disk Management.
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:41:04 AM

okay, i've got it working but how to i make the seagate hard drive my main hard drive where everything downloads to and where i save all of my files to? I just want my ssd to boot up my computer. By the way, im not so up on my computer terms and being this is my first build I don't know much then what the guide told me to do when I was building my computer.
m
l
!