New Programming and Gaming Build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Programming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2010 10:43:07 PM

Heya, I'm looking to buy a new PC that I will be using mostly for programming and gaming.

I already have 5x 2TB Seagate Constellation ES hard drives that I got for 250€ total (yeah, they were probably labeled wrong at the shop).
I have a license for the OS so I won't need to buy that.

The sites I will be buying the parts from should ship to Germany.

These are the parts that I've come up with:

CPU INTEL Core i7-950 (BX80601950) 253,77 €
GPU SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5970 OC (21165-01-xxR) 509,96 €
Mobo GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R 182,77 €
SSD 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 Series (OCZSSD3-2VTX240G) 412,88 €
RAM G.Skill PI Series 6x2GB 1600MHz CL7 296,90 €
PSU Corsair 1000W 186,65 €
Case CoolerMaster HAF X 161,60 €
Screen Dell UltraSharp U2410 473,90 € x2
Keyboard Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 33,00 €
Mouse Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 36,00 €

I would appreciate if anyone could double-check this and tell me if there's anything odd with my setup.

More about : programming gaming build

a c 85 B Homebuilt system
a c 207 4 Gaming
September 29, 2010 11:30:08 PM

Looks excellent.

The i7-950 is a fine processor, but it is only marginally faster than the cheaper 930, a difference that will disappear with overclocking.

The corsair 1000w unit is also a good unit, but a 750 or 850w unit would be just as good.

For such a nice premium build, why not use a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor?
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx...

Also, consider a oem cooler. It will keep your cpu cooler, and run quieter under load. If you will overclock , and a modest overclock is very easy, it will let you go higher and easier. I like the tower type coolers with a slow turning 120mm fan. They need not be expensive.
September 29, 2010 11:41:58 PM

The i7 930 is only 28€ cheaper so I'm willing to go for the 950 in this case.

I think the 1000 Watt PSU will be useful in case I want to upgrade in the future.

For the monitors, well since I'm programming it really must be 2 monitors so that I can debug fullscreen applications.

Which cooler do you suggest, would any of these be good? Cooler Master V6GT or Scythe Mungen Rev2.B
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 30, 2010 12:05:25 AM

You would probably get a couple percent boost with a 3x4GB ram kit instead of a 6x2GB. Less sticks is more efficient.

You should get a decent aftermarket cooler. Here are some cost effective 120mm models to look at.
(The 3 Xigmatek models are basically the same unit i different colors and fin shapes)
Xigmatek Balder <x shaped fins, silver nickel coated, white LED fan>
Xigmatek Red Scorpion <aluminum with copper tubes, Red LED fan>
(will need extra mounting bracket kit for red scorpion)
Xigmatek Dark Knight <black nickel plated, white LED fan>
Scythe SCMG-2100
Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus

If you want to go more expensive then the Prolimatech MegaShadow, Prolimatech Megahalems or Noctua NH-D14 (140mm) or even a self contained liquid unit like the Corsair H70.
a c 207 4 Gaming
September 30, 2010 12:16:54 AM

cppcoder said:
The i7 930 is only 28€ cheaper so I'm willing to go for the 950 in this case.

I think the 1000 Watt PSU will be useful in case I want to upgrade in the future.

For the monitors, well since I'm programming it really must be 2 monitors so that I can debug fullscreen applications.

Which cooler do you suggest, would any of these be good? Cooler Master V6GT or Scythe Mungen Rev2.B

Nothing wrong with two 30" monitors; that is what I use. I think you can't have too much display acerage, so long as it fits on your desk.

Either cooler will be good. I like the noctua fans, one of their coolers would be good:
http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Luefter/Noctua/NH-...

dndhatcher has a good point on getting a single 3 x 4gb kit. There is only a small premium in doing so, and it preserves your option to go to 24gb.

September 30, 2010 12:47:16 AM

I looked for 3x4GB kits, but most of the similarily priced ones seem to have higher CAS latency or lower frequency. If you could point me to a good triple RAM kit I'll consider it, but does the performance gain from using only 3 sticks outweight the lower specs and eventually higher prices?

As for the cooler I'm pretty sure now that I'll go with the NH-D14.

And for two 30" monitors, I'll have to see if I can get that into my budget.

Edit: I noticed the G.Skill PI Series I've chosen is very unlikely to fit with that cooler. How about I go with a 3x4GB Ripjaws kit then? The only con would be that these are CL9 http://www.google.de/products?q=G.SKILL+Ripjaws+Series+...
a c 207 4 Gaming
September 30, 2010 2:28:24 AM

cppcoder said:
I looked for 3x4GB kits, but most of the similarily priced ones seem to have higher CAS latency or lower frequency. If you could point me to a good triple RAM kit I'll consider it, but does the performance gain from using only 3 sticks outweight the lower specs and eventually higher prices?

As for the cooler I'm pretty sure now that I'll go with the NH-D14.

And for two 30" monitors, I'll have to see if I can get that into my budget.

Edit: I noticed the G.Skill PI Series I've chosen is very unlikely to fit with that cooler. How about I go with a 3x4GB Ripjaws kit then? The only con would be that these are CL9 http://www.google.de/products?q=G.SKILL+Ripjaws+Series+...

With the nehalem processors(i7-950) the ram controller is very good. It is able to keep the processor fed with ram data from any speed ram and latency. There is perhaps a 1-3% difference in reall application performance or FPS(vs. synthetic benchmarks) between the fastest DDR3 ram and the slowest. Don't pay much extra for faster ram. Fancy heat spreaders are also not necessary, and are mostly a marketing feature. I am not conversant in German, so I can't help you find anything on your web site. The important thing is to insure compatibility. There are two ways:
1) Go to the motherboard web site, and look for their QVL list. That is a list of ram that has been tested as working with their motherboard.
2) Go to the ram vendor's web site and enter your motherboard into their configurator. You should get a list of compatible ram kits.
If you get ram that is supported you can get a resolution if something is defective.

Any DDR3 ram at 1.65v or less should work on a X58 chipset motherboard, but why take a chance?

If the ram has a high heat spreader, install it first, before you install the cooler. Clearance should not be a problem with normal ram and coolers.
The kit you linked to does not seem to be unusually tall.
!