Made a newb mistake - repercussions?

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Well, first off, let me say that I'm a pretty experienced builder and have a tech level. I have horrible HORRIBLE luck when it comes to building my system, this time it was stupidity. I used the wrong screws (first time ever, I swear), the wider ones with the lip (hex or w/e) to secure the motherboard. Well, I heard a slight scraping noise. That noise was the screw scuffing/grinding off the material around the screw holes, as seen here:
screwholes.jpg

Now, I think it's me being paranoid, but I feel like it's going to effect something. However, it's up and running excellent now. Are these metal designs (umbrella look) just there for looks, or are they there to assist with the ground? Basically they now look indented from the previous screws about halfway around the design.

As a note, there was a material left behind that I made sure I cleaned off, but it didn't really seem like metal. Was more powdery...

Am I in the clear and just over-reacting (since it is running great, afterall).

By the way, this is a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P motherboard.

Solution
It's fine. They are ground connections but the damage is insignificant. Your Mobo will be fine, really. They don't carry any current, they are to prevent stray EMI.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Using common hex-screws for the motherboard is only problematic if you don't use a rubber between the motherboard and the screw head. The screw hole/area grinding is not a problem since the whole circled area has no circuits in them. Anyways you should always use those hex stands behind the motherboard so using the correct screws with it will still be perfect, even though you forced it a bit.

So you are fine unless it cracked and that is a different story. I doubt it did cracked since I repaired many computers that were using those hex-screws with rubbers and the motherboard was not damaged at all. :)

Remember do not screw too tight. The perfect tighness is when the motherboard is not jumping anymore while you shake it slowly, no more pressure than that is required to hold the whole thing..

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007

Unless what cracked?

Also, that material is still there for the most part, I'm guessing that means it still serves its purpose to prevent stray EMI? Also, if I was experiencing stray EMI, what might the symptoms be?

Guessing I voided the warranty too :|