Mafia II demo issues

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Hi all.

I played the Mafia II demo and I really liked it. The thing is I was fiddling with it and found few issues.

First let me tell you the physx effects are quite good, I like them. However I am with ATI card and its "not supported" so it runs horrible with it.
I found a site that explains how to tweak it and after deleting the Cloth directory it works MUCH better.

The problem is following.

I run the included benchmark on Medium Physx and Graphics to MAX.

1st time demo runs I get 40 fps avg
2nd time demo runs I get 32 fps avg
3rd time 40
4th time 32

and this is a pattern.

There is some general bug with it or its done intentionally and I am leaning towards the second guess. Why? Here why

When I run first time all works ok I dont get under 30 fps anywhere on the benchmark. However on the second run, right after we get into the warehouse, it starts to slow, and slow and slow until it runs about half the fps (where it was 30 first benchmark now is 15).

How is that possible? Every time very consistent, one fast run, one slow run.

In game its something similar - I start game everything is going 50+ fps, I shoot the guys from the window, get down, then get into the warehouse, where it still runs ok but with each scene its like its slowing down and slowing donw. Even after fights where nobody is shooting nothing is exploding it still runs slow.

Now I checked and right when I get into the elevetor I get around 20 fps. I go up, leave them to kill me so it reloads it and starts at the elevator again. NOW I GET 50!!!
on the same scene, same elevator. I go up start shooting and it gets dropped quite quickly again.

Its either some memory leak or intentionally done so it wont run on ATI cards
I am not sure though if its physx driver or it could be ATI graphics drivers (although I cant explain how graphics driver prob could explain that)
My guess is some list of objects that have to be calculated is not cleared and when you play and progress its filled with more and more and more objects to calculate and its gradually slowing down.

Other interesting thing is that my cpu dont go over 70%. Its a 3x PhenomII 720

Anyone else can test and post results (with ATI cards and with nVidia cards)

Thanks in advance

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I dont have problems when its DISABLED, it runs over 60 fps

Thats not the point. The point is even with physx it can run decent but its intentionally broken (or some bug)

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Look, the demo (while quite fun) is filled with bugs and flaws. IMO don't sweat it until the retail game comes out and you are still having problems.

One of the issues is that I hear Phsyx gets automatically loaded on the CPU in some situations, screwing up the validity of some bench runs.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Well its too obvious. I doubt they will do that when they can do something like batman, put a cap or something that will make it looks like your cpu cant handle it.

And I dont really understand this. I dont believe any ATI user will buy the game if they know it is intentionally screwed to give nvidia physx advantage when there is little or none at all. This way I prefer to get it pirated than pay them money and I think many ati users will do same just because they will feel screwed

Company will loose lot of money and I doubt nVidia gave them so much that they would not care.

So I still think its a bug rather than intentionally, just doesnt make any sence

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
thats not true :)

Everyone cares about money, and the game devs also. Thats why they make games.

so if it will affect their income they CARE believe me

Hey raw,long time no see
Well i tested it with my setup(i7 860 @ stock/HD 5970) and without PhysX,it runs perfect(85FPS avg) but if i set the PhysX to high,then i get about 18FPS which is quite low, so your FPS drop may have been caused by PhysX,since you get 60+ without it.

I actually read carefully, and i think its normal,you get different FPS in a specific scene also FPS drop with PhysX enabled, well i have seen users having FPS problems/bugs with PhysX,(me too).AMD may release a driver(or hotfix) when the game officially releases.

metssuru

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
In the mafia2/edit/apex folder this a folder called CLOTH if you remove this from that directory you can still have explosion phsyx without fabric physx, that doubled my framerate when running with phsyx.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Maziar, how can I get different fps with SAME settings

I run with Physx ENABLED - MEDIUM 4 times and one time I get 30fps in a scene other 15, other 30 other 15

SAME SETTINGS, I am not turning on/off physx , its turned on each time

how can I get 2x slow donw without changing anything?

metssuru - I know and I did delete the Cloth, that enabled me to get about 30 fps WHEN ITS RUNNING the fast run

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I hope so, it smells like physx bug though. I am curious if its noticable on nVidia cards. Probably the difference will be smaller as it runs faster on gpu but still should be perceivable

Anyone with nvidia card wanna test, Just run 4-5 times the benchmark on same settings (use Medium for physx) and post the results

That's in the game itself.It says that the demo is not a level from the game itself

notty22

Distinguished
The demo is filled with bugs of all sorts. Someone made a video on youtube. As far as the benchmark, I noticed this right away, others have posted it to. It changed the quality settings by itself from run to run. So I'd give up trying to find rhyme or reason with it , real game comes out in a couple weeks :)

:eek: Self adjusting! That's a new one. :lol: I am caring less for this game minute by minute.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

Care to explain.... The sequel to one of the best games ever made....