Help with memory

jeff11

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hey guys need a little advice on ram building a rig for animation/editing, modeling so programs used will be 3ds max,photoshop,after effects, dreamweaver, flash, in design, mudbox, softimage and a few others.

Now im sure someone will say why would you need so much ram well maybe i dont but some of these programs eat ram up quick atm i have 4gb and for eg: i have a complex scene of materials lots of polys and i want to make a piece of concrete shatter into x amount of bits with 4gb i can fragment that concrete into 500 pieces any higher and it struggles cus ram gets low i know this cus box pops up and lets you know how much is being used so maybe i want to fragment into 5000 pieces so i need a fair bit more ...

so i was looking at 16gb 4x4gb but is this wise to fill all four slots (oh dual channel) i have read on other forums that its better not to and it can cause stability problems and is not recommended if so why?,and that its better to fill two slots so 2x8gb but hard to find where i am....so not great option for me.

if its just better to go 8gb 2x4gb ill just do that and hope its enough for what i need the motherboard im looking at is the asrock z68 extreme 4 gen 3, dual chan and the ram is G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16GB(4x 4GB) Memory Kit - 240pin DIMM - PC3-12800 / DDR3-1600 - CL9 - 1.5v - Unbuffered - Non-Ecc

so basically is this true its just for my intended use i cant afford problems with the pc due to time restrictions so wondering is it more than fine to fill all four slots 4x4gb obviously 12gb is not an option with dual i dont want 3x4gb for dual channel so stick with 2x4gb for 8gb or 4x4 for 16gb or will i have problems with all four slots filled dont know alot about ram so help is def needed.

maybe overkill but like a gun better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.. so shed some light on this for me please..

beenthere

Distinguished
With dual channel you can run slightly faster RAM frequency with two DIMMS than with four DIMMs - if you want to run higher than the OE frequency. If you want to run the default CPU/RAM frequency, then a compatible 4 x 4Gb. RAM kit for your CPU should function without issues. For your use typically more RAM would be better depending on the O/S you are using.

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

That mobo can support up to 32gb of ram so yes, you will not run into any problems. One other reason people do not fill up all 4 ram slots is because of the cpu cooler. make sur eyour cpu cooler does not interfere with one of your ram slots.

jeff11

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Ah ok got it sounds good and i did look at the corsair but they look like there fairly high thought the gskill looked not as high and i have thought about the cpu cooler clearence i know with the hyper212 plus you can lift the fan up slightly but been searching to make sure ....

im still not sure if i need 16gb maybe 8gb would be fine just the price difference between 8gb and 16gb is nothing unfortanately im in australia so no newegg thanks for clearing that up for me guys

jeff11

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
So would this ram be what im after G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16GB(4x 4GB) Memory Kit - 240pin DIMM - PC3-12800 / DDR3-1600 - CL9 - 1.5v - Unbuffered - Non-Ecc (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL)

but on the site ill be getting it from it does not say its dual channel ?
but the same model number i put into newegg which is also the same ones stated above says its multi channel kit/quad channel so is this the same as dual channel im guessing its just 2x dual channel kit is this correct?
And if i do decide to go for 16gb 4x4gb gskills(the ones above) is this what i would want? they still run dual channel or do i specifcaly need ones that state dual channel

or at the shop ill be buying from does have the corsair vengence 16gb 4x4gb dual channel same specs as the gskill pretty sure