Sign in with
Your question

Halp! Slow Brand New HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2013 6:06:13 AM

I just recently bought a new Seagate HDD (Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive) from Amazon @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRN2/ref=oh_deta...

I'm having major issues with speed transfer.

In this computer I once had an older 400gb drive, and when I transferred files over network, I could transfer 22 GB of music/one hour. Even on the same computer, the speed is only a bit above 2 MB/hr, within the same hdd.

I am now trying to transfer 44 gigs, which should be 2 hrs roughly, and it's telling me 15 hrs.

WTF?

Speed is 2MB. It took over 15 minutes just to calculate the size.

What did or am I doing wrong?

I've never had this problem before.

Formatting really isn't an option, because I NEED to somehow transfer these files prior to that.

More about : halp slow brand hdd

January 9, 2013 6:09:28 AM

Further information. I completely turned off Windows 7 indexing, and now it's gone from 15 hrs to 23????

January 9, 2013 6:18:40 AM

explain the setup a bit more, is the seagate 2tb your os drive? 2nd drive? etc...

provide a bit more info about the files you are attempting to transfer, size of files and how many?

i'd run the manufacturers extended/long hdd test after you transfer you data. it sounds to me like the drive is going bad.
Related resources
January 9, 2013 3:25:28 PM

Yes, it is the only drive. Windows 7 is installed on it. I just bought the drive this December for a new computer.

January 9, 2013 3:27:01 PM

The files I am attempting to copy/move are from my music directory, so mainly mp3.
January 9, 2013 3:31:40 PM

Further info:

AMD Athlon II x 640 Quad Core Processor
8 GB Ram

Shouldn't this be able to transfer files pretty fast?

Maybe I got a dud hdd? I set this computer up myself, so maybe I forgot to do something crucial in the set up of the hdd?

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you for responding.

January 10, 2013 2:26:20 AM

first priority (if you don't already have a backup/copy of these files) transfer the files to another hard drive as your current seagate 2tb may be failing.

after you copied your data run seagates seatools extended test on your hard drive to verify its health.

also keep in mind that sequential files are going to transfer a whole lot faster than a bunch of songs/pictures etc...
a c 272 G Storage
January 10, 2013 4:54:44 AM

Could we see a HD Tune read benchmark graph?

Is it possible that your drive is running in PIO mode?
!