How to Password protect an external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigiy

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hello

Basically, I have a portable Hard Drive that I will be taking with me and using at multiple computers (Im at a school) and what I want to do is password protect the hard drive, so as soon as its plugged in, or someone attempts to enter the hard drive, a dialouge box appears forcing them to put a password in for the hard drive.

I want to do this to hopefully use as a deterant if people were to steal it. Most of the people who would steal it wouldn't be any high class hackers, and so once they run into the brick wall, hopefully they'd return it to lost property.

NOTE: I dont want to encrypt the data, All I want is a dialouge box that appears when someone attempts to enter the hard drive.

Xttony

Distinguished
Most external hard drives come with a software that can do it. It is better to use that software because it is provided by the drive manufacturer.
Also you can use softwares like folder locker to that for you.

4745454b

Titan
That program should do what you want. Encryption is only one of the things it can do. It clearly says it can lock a folder as well. (lock meaning without password it won't do anything.)

I have a program at home that will hide folders. But I'm not sure what happen in the case of removable media. And while its hidden from my computer, results will show up in a search. Good enough to hide things from my roommates 6yo kid, but not what I would consider good.

Status
Not open for further replies.