mr_snrub

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hi everyone, I have a small yet annoying problem that started on Christmas day when I took my PC to my parents place to play some festive music :3
When I plugged the 3.5mm plug into the rear output, it didn't work! It was working just fine when I left home.
The front output that I normally use for headphones still works. Optical output to my amp also works fine. I've checked my drivers and I have the most up to date version, and I checked to make sure that the rear output wasn't somehow muted.
I'm using the onboard sound from my MSI p35 platinum and the sound is also controlled by Realtek HD Audio manager.
Any ideas?

Solution
Is it set to pop up a message when something is plugged in?(does it even detect the plugged in cable?)

Can you use the connector re-tasking to make sure the rear green output is in fact set to line/speaker out?

Does it by any chance show the front green as plugged in all the time?

You can try a slightly older drive, there are sometimes interesting bugs with Realtek drivers.
Is it set to pop up a message when something is plugged in?(does it even detect the plugged in cable?)

Can you use the connector re-tasking to make sure the rear green output is in fact set to line/speaker out?

Does it by any chance show the front green as plugged in all the time?

You can try a slightly older drive, there are sometimes interesting bugs with Realtek drivers.

Solution

mr_snrub

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

Thanks for the reply, I was in the process of double checking what happened when I plug the cable into the rear input when I discovered that it works again if I change the input type back to "Front Speaker Out."
I guess your response helped me figure this one out!

JoonasA

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
*BUMP* I've been trouble shooting this same problem here in the future! In the year 2014. I'm writing this so someone can find a solution in the year 2018. :D

I took my computer offline and cleaned the internals from dust and replaced the second CPU fan which was keeping noise. After putting it back, only front panel audio out worked. I tried all sorts of spells on this (uninstalled Razer surround software, rolled windows back to a recovery state which I knew should work) but none of them worked, until I managed to find Windows 8 drivers for my Realtek audio (MB is Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 btw just so that search engines might find this) which came with a software that started to detect what I'm plugging in and out of audio jacks.

Finally for the 20th time I decided to try all the 6 jack one more time in the back and for some reason the red jack now made Realtek software ask whether I'm plugging speakers or headphones. For some reason I answered headphones instead of speakers - and it worked. Now I have sound from back panel again.