Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Buy or wait, the age old question!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 27, 2010 11:01:59 AM

So as the title says, all I really want to know is buy or wait...
I'm about to build a computer for my family that will have a i3 and a 5770 in it and I want to know if I should wait for the sandy bridge or heh the parts now.


Thanks again!

More about : buy wait age question

a c 159 à CPUs
December 27, 2010 12:13:34 PM

I would look for a used 750 or 760 and keep your old motherboard. I found one for $75 recently in my local craigslist. Lots of stuff will be sold when sandy bridge is released.
m
0
l
a c 161 à CPUs
December 27, 2010 12:51:53 PM

Easy answer: If you can wait, wait. If you need buy now, let us know your budget.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 478 à CPUs
December 27, 2010 1:04:22 PM

Sandy bridge CPUs will likely be expensive compared to current CPUs so you need to decide on a budget.

If you can wait, then wait. If not, then build now. I think Sandy Bridge is coming out on Jan 5th or 9th. I don't really follow it since I'm not upgrading yet. Addtionally, it usually takes a while for the budget CPUs to come out (like the i3), so you'll need to wait longer.
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 10:23:38 PM

Well if im looking at an i3 computer what i want to know is how much better will the sandy bridge be and is it worth waiting just for the i3 sandy bridge?
m
0
l
a c 159 à CPUs
December 27, 2010 10:27:16 PM

It won't work in your old board; that's why I recommend a used 750, which will work in your current board. Sandy bridge is socket 1155 with a new chipset.
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 11:01:38 PM

o1die said:
It won't work in your old board; that's why I recommend a used 750, which will work in your current board. Sandy bridge is socket 1155 with a new chipset.


I dont understand what you mean buy a "750" and how that relates to what we are talking about...

sorry
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2010 10:58:59 AM

I brought now coz the price is good, if you don't specifically need SB why wait and spend more money on the very latest and up to date? Apart from bragging rights obviously. :na: 

I've just picked up an X58/i7 950/6gig ram for about a third of its rrp, love a bargain. :D 
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 11:17:52 AM

Sandy bridge i3 won't come out till february, and the motherboards will be priced higher, I would pass on waiting. It's close, but if you want this computer now, meh.
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 11:24:29 AM

buy the computer now, theres no point waiting since the new i3's wont be exceptionally faster than the current i3's (only guessing)
I also doubt you need a really fast computer if its just your family is going to use it to surf the net, watch movies, etc.
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 12:59:44 PM

First off I would like to say thanks to all of you. I would like to get an i7 but sadly I barely had the money for N i3 so that won't happen...

Thanks again guys!
m
0
l
a c 159 à CPUs
December 28, 2010 1:34:30 PM

The 750 is a true 4 core socket 1156 cpu with no onboard graphics support. You'll need a separate video card to use it, but it will run on your current motherboard. Used you may find one for $125-150 on ebay.
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 6:15:09 PM

o1die said:
The 750 is a true 4 core socket 1156 cpu with no onboard graphics support. You'll need a separate video card to use it, but it will run on your current motherboard. Used you may find one for $125-150 on ebay.


Ohh you're talking about the i5 750 right?! thats what i thought too at the begeining but i was told that they want the whole computer new so i got the i3 with the motherboard.

i know the 750 is mych faster but will the i3 be enough for a family gaming compuer when paired with a 5770?

Im talking flash games and hard core games like battlefield bad company 2 or World of Warcraft?

Thanks again!
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 6:20:44 PM

If you already bought it - stop worrying :)  You will be ok. There is no point to buy a better graphics card than 5770, as the i3 will bottleneck them, so yeah, get the 5770.
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 6:27:03 PM

tigrc said:
If you already bought it - stop worrying :)  You will be ok. There is no point to buy a better graphics card than 5770, as the i3 will bottleneck them, so yeah, get the 5770.

Well i didnt get the parts yet so i can still return them, but my real questiong is... will a the following specs run games like WoW and battlefield bad company 2 ?

I3 540
4gb ram
500gb hdd
radeon 5770

tell me if you need the rest of the specs.

Thanks!
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 11:46:46 PM

ilikegirls said:
So as the title says, all I really want to know is buy or wait...
I'm about to build a computer for my family that will have a i3 and a 5770 in it and I want to know if I should wait for the sandy bridge or heh the parts now.


Thanks again!


I just put this in a recent thread and should have put it here:

Don't wait.

It took me around 10-15 years of waiting for the next generation of cool PC hardware to build something modern and fast for myself. That was from a 486 DX33 with 4mb of ram when it was pretty state of the art to an E8400 with 4gb of ram (2 years ago). I bought junked PCs that were 3 generations behind the newest hardware and refurbed them in the meantime when I needed just enough more power to get work done. I saved a good bit of dough over the years but I don't think I had much fun other than cobbling the systems together.

If the trend of the past 30 years continues, the new stuff is always going to be newer, better, cheaper, faster, etc.

I recommend buying something that gets the job done with a certain amount of upgradeability.
m
0
l
!