Buy or wait, the age old question!

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So as the title says, all I really want to know is buy or wait...
I'm about to build a computer for my family that will have a i3 and a 5770 in it and I want to know if I should wait for the sandy bridge or heh the parts now.

Thanks again!

Sandy bridge CPUs will likely be expensive compared to current CPUs so you need to decide on a budget.

If you can wait, then wait. If not, then build now. I think Sandy Bridge is coming out on Jan 5th or 9th. I don't really follow it since I'm not upgrading yet. Addtionally, it usually takes a while for the budget CPUs to come out (like the i3), so you'll need to wait longer.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

I dont understand what you mean buy a "750" and how that relates to what we are talking about...

sorry

I brought now coz the price is good, if you don't specifically need SB why wait and spend more money on the very latest and up to date? Apart from bragging rights obviously. :na:

I've just picked up an X58/i7 950/6gig ram for about a third of its rrp, love a bargain. :D

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
buy the computer now, theres no point waiting since the new i3's wont be exceptionally faster than the current i3's (only guessing)
I also doubt you need a really fast computer if its just your family is going to use it to surf the net, watch movies, etc.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Ohh you're talking about the i5 750 right?! thats what i thought too at the begeining but i was told that they want the whole computer new so i got the i3 with the motherboard.

i know the 750 is mych faster but will the i3 be enough for a family gaming compuer when paired with a 5770?

Im talking flash games and hard core games like battlefield bad company 2 or World of Warcraft?

Thanks again!

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Well i didnt get the parts yet so i can still return them, but my real questiong is... will a the following specs run games like WoW and battlefield bad company 2 ?

I3 540
4gb ram
500gb hdd
radeon 5770

tell me if you need the rest of the specs.

Thanks!

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

I just put this in a recent thread and should have put it here:

Don't wait.

It took me around 10-15 years of waiting for the next generation of cool PC hardware to build something modern and fast for myself. That was from a 486 DX33 with 4mb of ram when it was pretty state of the art to an E8400 with 4gb of ram (2 years ago). I bought junked PCs that were 3 generations behind the newest hardware and refurbed them in the meantime when I needed just enough more power to get work done. I saved a good bit of dough over the years but I don't think I had much fun other than cobbling the systems together.

If the trend of the past 30 years continues, the new stuff is always going to be newer, better, cheaper, faster, etc.

I recommend buying something that gets the job done with a certain amount of upgradeability.