Sign in with
Your question

FLIE RECOVERY AFTER DRIVE FORMAT

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2013 8:07:42 AM

Is it possible to retrieve all the lost files once windows 7 has been installed?earlier it was Windows XP.All the files were earlier stored in C drive,My Documents. If luckily possible to restore,then how?
The ones who know it please give me all the details.
ASAP!
a b G Storage
January 9, 2013 1:58:46 PM

I don't think that is possible. Also you can only recover files if you have used the quick format option. Use softwares like advanced system care 5 to recover your files. The files are probably gone but it is worth a try.
m
l
a c 372 G Storage
January 9, 2013 7:08:59 PM

If you did a custom install and didn't remove XP before you started, you should have a folder called windows.old which will contain your old windows files. just copy them out of the approriate folder into the corresponding new folder.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 7:24:46 PM

Heres a useful article on data recovery. It is possible to recover your data... Maybe. It all depends on what has been written over and what hasn't. A common recovery software recommended often here is Recuva.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Free-Data-Recovery-Bac...

Check out toms article and go from there. Good luck.
m
l
January 10, 2013 12:28:49 AM

SenguptaShalini said:
Is it possible to retrieve all the lost files once windows 7 has been installed?earlier it was Windows XP.All the files were earlier stored in C drive,My Documents. If luckily possible to restore,then how?
The ones who know it please give me all the details.
ASAP!

Based on your description, part or all of your original data may be rewritten by the newly installed Windows system. That’s to say, part or all of your data is gone permanently.
However, you also could try a trusted formatted drive recovery freeware to take a chance. This free tool has helped recovering my friend's photos, videos and other files from his accidental formatted drive. You should try it.
Note:
1. Never try to put new data on the formatted drive to overwritten the original data in the future.
2. Save your recovered data on a different drive in case of recovery failure.
3. Always back up your data regularly in the future.
m
l
!