Sign in with
Your question

Need Help With Video Card Upgrade On Old HP M385C

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2010 1:31:25 PM

Hi I have a old HP M385C Media Center desk top I was just given, and I would like a video card with HDMI with 7.1 audio & DVI,VGA Ports. I know it has a 200 watt factory PSU & I'm running Windows XP Professional 32 Bit with 1.5GB ram.

What a quality cheap card that's compatible with this computer?

a c 153 U Graphics card
August 18, 2010 3:24:47 PM

A Video Card does not come with audio, you need a Sound Card for that, in that case you would need a Sound Card and a Video Card...

I can't in good sense recommend a video card and sound card for a 200 watt PSU.

What are your needs and budget? If gaming is not an issue it will be easier. If your budget it high enough I'm sure I can find all three for you for a decent price.
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 18, 2010 4:06:52 PM

For some reason I TOTALLY missed the fact you had HDMI, sorry about that. I guess all I saw was that you wanted VGA and DVI ports.

Yes there are cards that can do sound through HDMI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 4000 series cards have 7.1 sound. So that would be perfect.
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:12:24 PM

Yeah you can run sound through your HDMI video card. There's usually a small connector on the card that's a few millimeters in width, in which you connect a very thin cable to it from wherever your sound is coming from (integrated-on-motherboard or seperate sound card).

I only did this once before, but it was really easy to setup.

Another thing is that it's pretty useless to try unless you're hooking up the HDMI to a monitor with decent speakers.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 18, 2010 4:13:47 PM

^ Yup its very simple. Like I said you would have to get a 4000 or 5000 series if you have 7.1 as I think 3000 series only support 5.1 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also make sure you have a PCI-e slot on your motherboard.
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:31:12 PM

I'm not sure of what each series supports for HDMI sound. But, yea the 4000 series card on that link^ should do well.

So long as it's not for gaming. It will suffice for HD media.
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:33:28 PM

Ok this is a old side computer and I don't want to spend a lot for what I want & I don't want to upgrade the PSU it's only 200 watt. Can you give me a link for both the proper sound card & video card without upgrading.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 18, 2010 5:52:39 PM

That link I gave you up there will work on your PSU without upgrading and has 7.1 surround in the HDMI.
m
l
August 18, 2010 6:09:06 PM

Is there one with a heat sink with no fan so it's quiet? What sound card do you suggest and what cable do I need to connect it to the video card? My Motherboard sound card is 5.1.

I will be connecting this to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI.
m
l
August 19, 2010 5:24:13 PM

I underestimated how old your system was lol. Well AGP x8 is much better than regular PCI. So I'd get this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has HDMI and a heatsink, no fan. Idk if it's 7.1 like you want it to be though.

Ultimately, it's really hard to find compatible upgrades today with an old machine like that. I would just save up maybe $300 and wait until it's Black Friday and get a new, inexpensive computer you can work with.
m
l
!