Need Help With Video Card Upgrade On Old HP M385C

xps420

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Hi I have a old HP M385C Media Center desk top I was just given, and I would like a video card with HDMI with 7.1 audio & DVI,VGA Ports. I know it has a 200 watt factory PSU & I'm running Windows XP Professional 32 Bit with 1.5GB ram.

What a quality cheap card that's compatible with this computer?

Helltech

Distinguished
A Video Card does not come with audio, you need a Sound Card for that, in that case you would need a Sound Card and a Video Card...

I can't in good sense recommend a video card and sound card for a 200 watt PSU.

What are your needs and budget? If gaming is not an issue it will be easier. If your budget it high enough I'm sure I can find all three for you for a decent price.

xps420

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah you can run sound through your HDMI video card. There's usually a small connector on the card that's a few millimeters in width, in which you connect a very thin cable to it from wherever your sound is coming from (integrated-on-motherboard or seperate sound card).

I only did this once before, but it was really easy to setup.

Another thing is that it's pretty useless to try unless you're hooking up the HDMI to a monitor with decent speakers.

Helltech

Distinguished
^ Yup its very simple. Like I said you would have to get a 4000 or 5000 series if you have 7.1 as I think 3000 series only support 5.1 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also make sure you have a PCI-e slot on your motherboard.

xps420

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Ok this is a old side computer and I don't want to spend a lot for what I want & I don't want to upgrade the PSU it's only 200 watt. Can you give me a link for both the proper sound card & video card without upgrading.

xps420

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Is there one with a heat sink with no fan so it's quiet? What sound card do you suggest and what cable do I need to connect it to the video card? My Motherboard sound card is 5.1.

I will be connecting this to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I underestimated how old your system was lol. Well AGP x8 is much better than regular PCI. So I'd get this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102862

It has HDMI and a heatsink, no fan. Idk if it's 7.1 like you want it to be though.

Ultimately, it's really hard to find compatible upgrades today with an old machine like that. I would just save up maybe $300 and wait until it's Black Friday and get a new, inexpensive computer you can work with.