ASM_Flux

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hi guys~

I'm kinda new here so please pardon my mistakes and/or lack of knowledge regarding stuff and rules and stuff and stuff...

Question1) I need a solution for my bad sectors problem.

So I recently built a pc:
MB/CPU: Asus Sabertooth z77 + i7-3770k (planning to OC to 4.7++)
RAM: G-Skill RipJawX 1600MHz 8gb(4x2. supposed to be 8x2, but i guess my handwriting wasn't very clear to the guy at that time)
GFX: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence D2X
HDD1: Western Digital VelociRaptor 1tb
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb(my old hard drive, with loads of important documents and projects, and anime.)
HDD3: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb(to store my new projects)
Casing: CM Storm Enforcer
Cooling: Corsair H80(replaced the fans with 2 Noctua NF-F12's because the stock fans gave me insomnia.)
PSU: Seasonic X series 760w
Headphones: Razer Tiamat 7.1
Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK Red
Mouse: Logitech G9 Laser

And as I was replacing the stock H80 fans(didn't have H80i at that time), Somehow my computer started up while the case was open, and I'm not sure whether it was ESD or anything, but I heard something snap inside the rig, and That's when the bad sectors came.

The Drive affected was HDD1, which is the VelociRaptor 10krpm 1tb, and despite being quite recent(~2 months ago, actually), I already have a lot of important information, data, and programs inside this drive.

I already ran chkdsk /f and stuff, but it didn't seem to fix anything, and I concluded that I would have to replace the drive altogether sooner or later(I lost the receipt required for the warranty in my place. Lesson learned.).

Well since I'm going to buy a new one anyway, I was thinking maybe I should upgrade to an SSD, but considering the space I already used up in my Drive 1, with most of them being programs that I actually use often(Programs sum up to 100gb, program caches up to 50gb+/- iirc, and my own userdata and desktop files and downloads over 65gb), I was thinking I should get a large SSD since I play quite a lot of large games(the above numbers aren't even a quarter of my steam accounts' worth of games X_X), but I'm not very sure I want to invest 2 SGD per gigabyte(the prices here are kinda weird.)

What do you guys think?

I don't think I made myself clear enough in this post, and if so I do apologize, my brain's not functioning optimally. I will edit this once I sober up.

portablesounds

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
No way you can fit all of that plus steam on a ssd. you could get an ssd for just os and your most played games, along with paging file and most small programs. Get a 1TB Seagate Barracuda or WD Caviar Black. Unless you download HD movies or have tons of files you will never need even 1TB.