Studio Lighting - advice needed please

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 6, 2005 7:38:17 PM

I get a lot of requests from family, friends and customers to do high-key
portraits but have had to turn them down as I've simply not got the set-up
and equipment to do it.

So I'd like to get myself sorted and have convinced SWMBO to let me convert
one of our reception rooms into a studio.

The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
Not massive but luckily one of the long walls has a wide archway into
another room which I can shoot from - adding about 6' to the 9'6" - so my
'studio' will be effectively 10'8 wide x 15'6 long

I intend to have a pull-down background (off a roll) mounted on the archless
10'8" wall.

I only shoot digitally and therefore can easily compensate for colour
temperature - so that shouldn't be a restrictive factor.

I'd like the lighting to be portable (I'll have a separate portable
background system for mobile use) - but am tempted to have wall-mounted
heads on positionable arms. Anyone had experience of these?

So....
Which manufacturer? Bowens, Elinchrom, another brand?
What type? - generator or monoblocs?
2, 3 or 4 heads? Presumably I'd need at least two to blow out the white
background?
What power rating should I go for? (Many of my subjects are kids and I'm
imagining needing to use quite fast shutter speeds to freeze them as they
leap theatrically about my studio! - so presumably low-powered heads won't
suffice)
Are systems designed specifically for digital photography worth looking at?

I get the impression constant lighting sources aren't as powerful and can
get too hot for the sitter's comfort.

I don't want to buy a budget system that I'll outgrow within 6-12 months -
unless I can add to it rather than replace it.

My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables, backgrounds,
stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)

Thanks in anticipation,

--
Sorby
Anonymous

Sorby wrote:

> I get a lot of requests from family, friends and customers to do high-key
> portraits but have had to turn them down as I've simply not got the set-up
> and equipment to do it.
>
> So I'd like to get myself sorted and have convinced SWMBO to let me convert
> one of our reception rooms into a studio.
>
> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
> Not massive but luckily one of the long walls has a wide archway into
> another room which I can shoot from - adding about 6' to the 9'6" - so my
> 'studio' will be effectively 10'8 wide x 15'6 long
>
> I intend to have a pull-down background (off a roll) mounted on the archless
> 10'8" wall.
>
> I only shoot digitally and therefore can easily compensate for colour
> temperature - so that shouldn't be a restrictive factor.
>
> I'd like the lighting to be portable (I'll have a separate portable
> background system for mobile use) - but am tempted to have wall-mounted
> heads on positionable arms. Anyone had experience of these?
>
> So....
> Which manufacturer? What type? - generator or monoblocs?

look at http://www.White-lightning.com

http://www.white-lightning.com/remote_studio.html for example.

these will be good, and will last. both wl and alien bees are compatible
with acessories from balcar which seem to use the same attachment system
for the reflector / speedrings.

if you need any more information or photos of wl equipment, let me know.

> My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables, backgrounds,
> stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> --
> Sorby
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:56:39 PM

"Sorby" posted:
"...
The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
...."

Ceiling is TOO LOW.

Look for a room where you can get twelve feet or higher ... otherwise you
will be severely limited when you try to photograph standing models.

"Sorby" <sorby69_REMOVETHIS_@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I get a lot of requests from family, friends and customers to do high-key
> portraits but have had to turn them down as I've simply not got the
set-up
> and equipment to do it.
>
> So I'd like to get myself sorted and have convinced SWMBO to let me
convert
> one of our reception rooms into a studio.
>
> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
> Not massive but luckily one of the long walls has a wide archway into
> another room which I can shoot from - adding about 6' to the 9'6" - so my
> 'studio' will be effectively 10'8 wide x 15'6 long
>
> I intend to have a pull-down background (off a roll) mounted on the
archless
> 10'8" wall.
>
> I only shoot digitally and therefore can easily compensate for colour
> temperature - so that shouldn't be a restrictive factor.
>
> I'd like the lighting to be portable (I'll have a separate portable
> background system for mobile use) - but am tempted to have wall-mounted
> heads on positionable arms. Anyone had experience of these?
>
> So....
> Which manufacturer? Bowens, Elinchrom, another brand?
> What type? - generator or monoblocs?
> 2, 3 or 4 heads? Presumably I'd need at least two to blow out the white
> background?
> What power rating should I go for? (Many of my subjects are kids and I'm
> imagining needing to use quite fast shutter speeds to freeze them as they
> leap theatrically about my studio! - so presumably low-powered heads
won't
> suffice)
> Are systems designed specifically for digital photography worth looking
at?

> I get the impression constant lighting sources aren't as powerful and can
> get too hot for the sitter's comfort.
>
> I don't want to buy a budget system that I'll outgrow within 6-12
months -
> unless I can add to it rather than replace it.
>
> My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables,
backgrounds,
> stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> --
> Sorby

January 6, 2005 10:06:40 PM

"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
> "Sorby" posted:
> "...
> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
> ..."
>
> Ceiling is TOO LOW.
>
> Look for a room where you can get twelve feet or higher ... otherwise you
> will be severely limited when you try to photograph standing models.

Damn! There goes my son's bedroom!! ;-)

Thanks for the tip.

--
Sorby
Anonymous

> "Sorby" <sorby69_REMOVETHIS_@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I get a lot of requests from family, friends and customers to do
high-key
> > portraits but have had to turn them down as I've simply not got the
> set-up
> > and equipment to do it.
> >
> > So I'd like to get myself sorted and have convinced SWMBO to let me
> convert
> > one of our reception rooms into a studio.
> >
> > The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
> > Not massive but luckily one of the long walls has a wide archway into
> > another room which I can shoot from - adding about 6' to the 9'6" - so
my
> > 'studio' will be effectively 10'8 wide x 15'6 long
> >
> > I intend to have a pull-down background (off a roll) mounted on the
> archless
> > 10'8" wall.
> >
> > I only shoot digitally and therefore can easily compensate for colour
> > temperature - so that shouldn't be a restrictive factor.
> >
> > I'd like the lighting to be portable (I'll have a separate portable
> > background system for mobile use) - but am tempted to have wall-mounted
> > heads on positionable arms. Anyone had experience of these?
> >
> > So....
> > Which manufacturer? Bowens, Elinchrom, another brand?
> > What type? - generator or monoblocs?
> > 2, 3 or 4 heads? Presumably I'd need at least two to blow out the white
> > background?
> > What power rating should I go for? (Many of my subjects are kids and I'm
> > imagining needing to use quite fast shutter speeds to freeze them as
they
> > leap theatrically about my studio! - so presumably low-powered heads
> won't
> > suffice)
> > Are systems designed specifically for digital photography worth looking
> at?
> >
> > I get the impression constant lighting sources aren't as powerful and
can
> > get too hot for the sitter's comfort.
> >
> > I don't want to buy a budget system that I'll outgrow within 6-12
> months -
> > unless I can add to it rather than replace it.
> >
> > My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables,
> backgrounds,
> > stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation,

"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
> "Sorby" posted:
> "...
> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
> ..."
>
> Ceiling is TOO LOW.
>
> Look for a room where you can get twelve feet or higher ... otherwise you
> will be severely limited when you try to photograph standing models.

Why is too low at 8 feet? Granted it's not a great height but would it not
make do?

Steven.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:01:10 PM

"Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in

> "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
>> "Sorby" posted:
>> "...
>> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
>> ..."
>>
>> Ceiling is TOO LOW.
>>
>> Look for a room where you can get twelve feet or higher ... otherwise
>> you will be severely limited when you try to photograph standing
>> models.
>
> Why is too low at 8 feet? Granted it's not a great height but would it
> not make do?

Put a hairlight on a boom, diffuser and honeycomb over your model's head.
You'll need, oh, 6-7 extra feet.

Or annoy the hell out of an art director because you cannot give him enough
backdrop to run text over.

However, it's sounding pretty much like Sorby cannot justify renting a
large facility, so the point is moot.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:54:23 PM

> "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
>> "Sorby" posted:
>> "...
>> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
>> ..."
>>
>> Ceiling is TOO LOW.
>>
>> Look for a room where you can get twelve feet or higher ... otherwise you
>> will be severely limited when you try to photograph standing models.
>
> Damn! There goes my son's bedroom!! ;-)
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> --
> Sorby

I agree with RSD99. I have had shoots with girls in the 5'9"-5'10" range,
put them in 4"-5" heels, put their arms over their heads, and shoot up at
them slightly, and, voila! you've got the top of your backdrop, the key
light and that nasty popcorn ceiling in your shot, along with the 5'10"
blond...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"Eric Gill" <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
>>> "Sorby" posted:
>>> "...
>>> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
>>> ..."
>>>
>>> Ceiling is TOO LOW.
>>>
>>> Look for a room where you can get twelve feet or higher ... otherwise
>>> you will be severely limited when you try to photograph standing
>>> models.
>>
>> Why is too low at 8 feet? Granted it's not a great height but would it
>> not make do?
>
> Put a hairlight on a boom, diffuser and honeycomb over your model's head.
> You'll need, oh, 6-7 extra feet.

eek

> Or annoy the hell out of an art director because you cannot give him
> enough
> backdrop to run text over.

An art director? What's one of those? ;-)

> However, it's sounding pretty much like Sorby cannot justify renting a
> large facility, so the point is moot.

Indeed. I'm not trying to do anything too grand.

If I ever get good enough to need to rent a larger facility - choosing one
will be a nice problem to have.

--
Sorby
Anonymous

Sorby wrote:

> Indeed. I'm not trying to do anything too grand.
>
> If I ever get good enough to need to rent a larger facility - choosing one
> will be a nice problem to have.

The problem is that studio lighting usually implies big umbrellas or
big soft boxes, and they eat up a lot of space above the light itself.

But, as Rumsfeld pointed out recently, you go with what you've got.
You should be able to have a lot of fun photographing seated models
or other subjects that don't require full height and still allow you to
keep the main light above the subject.

-- Ron
January 7, 2005 1:32:59 AM

"Sorby" <sorby69_REMOVETHIS_@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I get a lot of requests from family, friends and customers to do high-key
> portraits but have had to turn them down as I've simply not got the set-up
> and equipment to do it.
>
> So I'd like to get myself sorted and have convinced SWMBO to let me
convert
> one of our reception rooms into a studio.
>
> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
> Not massive but luckily one of the long walls has a wide archway into
> another room which I can shoot from - adding about 6' to the 9'6" - so my
> 'studio' will be effectively 10'8 wide x 15'6 long
>
> I intend to have a pull-down background (off a roll) mounted on the
archless
> 10'8" wall.
>
> I only shoot digitally and therefore can easily compensate for colour
> temperature - so that shouldn't be a restrictive factor.
>
> I'd like the lighting to be portable (I'll have a separate portable
> background system for mobile use) - but am tempted to have wall-mounted
> heads on positionable arms. Anyone had experience of these?
>
> So....
> Which manufacturer? Bowens, Elinchrom, another brand?
> What type? - generator or monoblocs?
> 2, 3 or 4 heads? Presumably I'd need at least two to blow out the white
> background?
> What power rating should I go for? (Many of my subjects are kids and I'm
> imagining needing to use quite fast shutter speeds to freeze them as they
> leap theatrically about my studio! - so presumably low-powered heads won't
> suffice)
> Are systems designed specifically for digital photography worth looking
at?

> I get the impression constant lighting sources aren't as powerful and can
> get too hot for the sitter's comfort.
>
> I don't want to buy a budget system that I'll outgrow within 6-12 months -
> unless I can add to it rather than replace it.
>
> My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables,
backgrounds,
> stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> --
> Sorby

I am shooting at home in a similar sized room as you without (m)any
problems. I do have
one or two advantages over your situation as the room has a sloped ceiling
that goes from
about 8 feet (my lights/camera end) to about 12 feet (my subject end). The
other advantage
is that it is almost fully open at the tall end to my dining room, so I
sometimes use a light w/gel
behind the backdrop without further cramping my shooting area. I always use
umbrellas or
softboxes on my main and fill lights (that does get a little cozy) as the
both sides of the room
have a sofa. But, I have shot virtually all standing shots, many full
length, and some of them
group shots (most to date has been 11 people).

I noticed from your budget that you are in the U.K. -- I have been using
Bowens monoblocks
(the older Prolite series) and they work great, both with film and digital
and have UV coated
flashtubes (some brands don't and a UV filter on your lens doesn't do the
same thing). I would
recommend monoblocks in general, but especially for home use...not only is
it easier to get any
ratio you desire but you won't have to have your house rewired to handle the
current needs of
a power pack (many draw 30A, in the U.S. standard wiring is for 15A).

Regarding the mounting of the flash heads, Bowens makes a beautiful overhead
system but you
don't have high enough ceilings for that. Probably the most practical
solution for you would be
regular or air-damped stands.

Perhaps you can rent some equipment or a studio in order to try out some of
this before you
commit to a purchase??? I did exactly that before I bought my Bowens lights
plus I'd used the
Bowens overhead track system in a college photography class I took (for
fun).

Good luck,
George
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:14:57 AM

"Sorby" <sorby69_REMOVETHIS_@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I get a lot of requests from family, friends and customers to do high-key
> portraits but have had to turn them down as I've simply not got the set-up
> and equipment to do it.
>
> So I'd like to get myself sorted and have convinced SWMBO to let me
> convert
> one of our reception rooms into a studio.

Well done what was your secret weapon?

> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
> Not massive but luckily one of the long walls has a wide archway into
> another room which I can shoot from - adding about 6' to the 9'6" - so my
> 'studio' will be effectively 10'8 wide x 15'6 long

Plenty of room

> I intend to have a pull-down background (off a roll) mounted on the
> archless
> 10'8" wall.

Don't be temted to use a paper background, i know they're cheap but believe
me unless you get the lighting absolutley dead on, it'll be grey in all the
photos. Also paper backdrops seem to "enhance" any shadows that fall on
them.

A visit to your local blind maker is recommended, get em to knock up a full
width pvc white. Yes it'll cost a lot more but it will reflect some of the
light back and not look grey.

> I only shoot digitally and therefore can easily compensate for colour
> temperature - so that shouldn't be a restrictive factor.
>
> I'd like the lighting to be portable (I'll have a separate portable
> background system for mobile use) - but am tempted to have wall-mounted
> heads on positionable arms. Anyone had experience of these?

Wall mounted units are fine you'll need to light the backdrop as well and
again wall mounts are preferable in that circumstance.

> So....
> Which manufacturer? Bowens, Elinchrom, another brand?
> What type? - generator or monoblocs?
> 2, 3 or 4 heads? Presumably I'd need at least two to blow out the white
> background?
> What power rating should I go for? (Many of my subjects are kids and I'm
> imagining needing to use quite fast shutter speeds to freeze them as they
> leap theatrically about my studio! - so presumably low-powered heads won't
> suffice)
> Are systems designed specifically for digital photography worth looking
> at?

Yeah i've wondered that, allegedly they are supposed to be more "stable" in
terms of repeatable exposure constants, but given that digital slr cameras
are likenable to shooting trannies in terms of exposure sensitivity i
think/believe that "digital" lighting systems is marketing bollocks for
"give us more cash".

Bowens/Redwing/Elinchrom/Prolinca/Portaflash* all fine, your choice if you
want monobloc or gennie type, If you're doing a lot/some mobile stuff
monobloc might be the way to go as they are easier to carry around and you
don't have to buy two set ups.

4 to 5 heads would be my choice, from experience. Whether you buy em all new
or source some /all of them s/h (ebay?) is again up to you. That said 3
heads as a start up. (main, fill, backdrop)

*Portaflash ok except the recycle times are a lot slower than the rest.

> I get the impression constant lighting sources aren't as powerful and can
> get too hot for the sitter's comfort.

depends again on how well ventilated the room is. If it's easy to well
ventilate it then photax lights might be an easier/cheaper start up option.
Certainly as you are using digital colour correction is easy, mind you the
colour correction gels to go over the lights are really cheap and easy to
get hold of (theatrical/tv lighting suppliers and/or jessops).

> I don't want to buy a budget system that I'll outgrow within 6-12 months -
> unless I can add to it rather than replace it.
>
> My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables,
> backgrounds,
> stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> --
> Sorby

Good luck.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:21:25 AM

"Ronald Hands" <rhands@NOSPAMmountaincable.net> wrote in message
> Sorby wrote:
>

>> Indeed. I'm not trying to do anything too grand.
>>
>> If I ever get good enough to need to rent a larger facility - choosing
>> one will be a nice problem to have.
>
> The problem is that studio lighting usually implies big umbrellas or big
> soft boxes, and they eat up a lot of space above the light itself.
>
> But, as Rumsfeld pointed out recently, you go with what you've got.
> You should be able to have a lot of fun photographing seated models or
> other subjects that don't require full height and still allow you to keep
> the main light above the subject.

Thanks Ronald.

--
Sorby
Anonymous

"Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message
> Sorby wrote:
>>
>> I get a lot of requests from family, friends and customers to do high-key
>> portraits but have had to turn them down as I've simply not got the
>> set-up
>> and equipment to do it.
>>
>> So I'd like to get myself sorted and have convinced SWMBO to let me
>> convert
>> one of our reception rooms into a studio.

<snip>

>> So....
>> Which manufacturer? What type? - generator or monoblocs?
>
> look at http://www.White-lightning.com
>
> http://www.white-lightning.com/remote_studio.html for example.
>
> these will be good, and will last. both wl and alien bees are compatible
> with acessories from balcar which seem to use the same attachment system
> for the reflector / speedrings.
>
> if you need any more information or photos of wl equipment, let me know.

I'll need to check availability of equipment here in the UK.

Thanks for your help.

--
Sorby
Anonymous

"Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote in message

> "Sorby" <sorby69_REMOVETHIS_@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I get a lot of requests from family, friends and customers to do high-key
>> portraits but have had to turn them down as I've simply not got the
>> set-up
>> and equipment to do it.
>>
>> So I'd like to get myself sorted and have convinced SWMBO to let me
>> convert
>> one of our reception rooms into a studio.
>
> Well done what was your secret weapon?

She's a gem. :o )

>> The room is 10'8" x 9'6" and the ceiling is 8' high.
>> Not massive but luckily one of the long walls has a wide archway into
>> another room which I can shoot from - adding about 6' to the 9'6" - so my
>> 'studio' will be effectively 10'8 wide x 15'6 long
>
> Plenty of room

Cool

>> I intend to have a pull-down background (off a roll) mounted on the
>> archless
>> 10'8" wall.
>
> Don't be temted to use a paper background, i know they're cheap but
> believe me unless you get the lighting absolutley dead on, it'll be grey
> in all the photos. Also paper backdrops seem to "enhance" any shadows that
> fall on them.

Ok - noted, thanks.

> A visit to your local blind maker is recommended, get em to knock up a
> full width pvc white. Yes it'll cost a lot more but it will reflect some
> of the light back and not look grey.

Interesting. Will investigate that.

>> I only shoot digitally and therefore can easily compensate for colour
>> temperature - so that shouldn't be a restrictive factor.
>>
>> I'd like the lighting to be portable (I'll have a separate portable
>> background system for mobile use) - but am tempted to have wall-mounted
>> heads on positionable arms. Anyone had experience of these?
>
> Wall mounted units are fine you'll need to light the backdrop as well and
> again wall mounts are preferable in that circumstance.

I think floor space will be at a premium so wall-mounting will be good, yes.

>> So....
>> Which manufacturer? Bowens, Elinchrom, another brand?
>> What type? - generator or monoblocs?
>> 2, 3 or 4 heads? Presumably I'd need at least two to blow out the white
>> background?
>> What power rating should I go for? (Many of my subjects are kids and I'm
>> imagining needing to use quite fast shutter speeds to freeze them as they
>> leap theatrically about my studio! - so presumably low-powered heads
>> won't
>> suffice)
>> Are systems designed specifically for digital photography worth looking
>> at?
>
> Yeah i've wondered that, allegedly they are supposed to be more "stable"
> in terms of repeatable exposure constants, but given that digital slr
> cameras are likenable to shooting trannies in terms of exposure
> sensitivity i think/believe that "digital" lighting systems is marketing
> bollocks for "give us more cash".

Yup - I'm starting to think that too.

> Bowens/Redwing/Elinchrom/Prolinca/Portaflash* all fine, your choice if you
> want monobloc or gennie type, If you're doing a lot/some mobile stuff
> monobloc might be the way to go as they are easier to carry around and you
> don't have to buy two set ups.
>
> 4 to 5 heads would be my choice, from experience. Whether you buy em all
> new or source some /all of them s/h (ebay?) is again up to you. That said
> 3 heads as a start up. (main, fill, backdrop)

Noted - thanks.

> *Portaflash ok except the recycle times are a lot slower than the rest.

Think I'll skip this budget option as I feel certain the slow recycling
times will make for some very unrewarding studio time.

>> I get the impression constant lighting sources aren't as powerful and can
>> get too hot for the sitter's comfort.
>
> depends again on how well ventilated the room is. If it's easy to well
> ventilate it then photax lights might be an easier/cheaper start up
> option. Certainly as you are using digital colour correction is easy, mind
> you the colour correction gels to go over the lights are really cheap and
> easy to get hold of (theatrical/tv lighting suppliers and/or jessops).
>
>> I don't want to buy a budget system that I'll outgrow within 6-12
>> months -
>> unless I can add to it rather than replace it.
>>
>> My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables,
>> backgrounds,
>> stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation,
>>
>> --
>> Sorby
>
> Good luck.

Thank you & thanks very much for your help and for taking the time to
reply.

--
Sorby
Anonymous

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:56:31 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
wrote:
snipped
>> Which manufacturer? What type? - generator or monoblocs?
>
>look at http://www.White-lightning.com
>
>http://www.white-lightning.com/remote_studio.html for example.
>
>these will be good, and will last. both wl and alien bees are compatible
>with acessories from balcar which seem to use the same attachment system
>for the reflector / speedrings.
>
>if you need any more information or photos of wl equipment, let me know.
>
>> My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables, backgrounds,
>> stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation,
>>
>> --
>> Sorby
I have used ABs quite a lot and although similar they are not the
lights that WL are.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 11:02:03 AM

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:14:57 -0000, "Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote:

>snipped
>> another room which I can shoot from - adding about 6' to the 9'6" - so my
>> 'studio' will be effectively 10'8 wide x 15'6 long
>
>Plenty of room

Not for standing adults, especially hi key.

> [...]
>or source some /all of them s/h (ebay?) is again up to you. That said 3
>heads as a start up. (main, fill, backdrop)
>
>*Portaflash ok except the recycle times are a lot slower than the rest.
>
>> I get the impression constant lighting sources aren't as powerful and can
>> get too hot for the sitter's comfort.
>
>depends again on how well ventilated the room is. If it's easy to well
>ventilate it then photax lights might be an easier/cheaper start up option.
>Certainly as you are using digital colour correction is easy, mind you the
>colour correction gels to go over the lights are really cheap and easy to
>get hold of (theatrical/tv lighting suppliers and/or jessops).
>
>> I don't want to buy a budget system that I'll outgrow within 6-12 months -
>> unless I can add to it rather than replace it.
>>
>> My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables,

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 11:09:22 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:18:17 -0500, Ronald Hands
<rhands@NOSPAMmountaincable.net> wrote:

>Sorby wrote:
>

>> Indeed. I'm not trying to do anything too grand.
>>
>> If I ever get good enough to need to rent a larger facility - choosing one
>> will be a nice problem to have.
>
> The problem is that studio lighting usually implies big umbrellas or
>big soft boxes, and they eat up a lot of space above the light itself.
>
> But, as Rumsfeld pointed out recently, you go with what you've got.
> You should be able to have a lot of fun photographing seated models
>or other subjects that don't require full height and still allow you to
>keep the main light above the subject.
>
>-- Ron

Another option not covered might be a makeshift cyclorama. Although I
have never attempted a ceiling mount, I used to use an inverted piece
of remnant linoleum (often bought cheaply from a large flooring
business) to create an adequate seamless curve between wall and floor.
Keeping as clean as possible from traffic and re-applying a quick coat
of paint as needed. If one could do the same between wall and ceiling
it would allow for lights placed further back using the natural soft
bounce against the curve.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:05:47 PM

ZONED! wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:56:31 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
> wrote:
> snipped
> >> Which manufacturer? What type? - generator or monoblocs?
> >
> >look at http://www.White-lightning.com
> >
> >http://www.white-lightning.com/remote_studio.html for example.
> >
> >these will be good, and will last. both wl and alien bees are compatible
> >with acessories from balcar which seem to use the same attachment system
> >for the reflector / speedrings.
> >
> >if you need any more information or photos of wl equipment, let me know.
> >
> >> My budget is about £2500 - all in. (i.e. all lighting, cables, backgrounds,
> >> stands, softboxes/umbrellas etc)
> >>
> >> Thanks in anticipation,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Sorby
> I have used ABs quite a lot and although similar they are not the
> lights that WL are.

the good news is that if you someday add White-Lightning equipment,
they and all the accessories will be compatible.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 5:15:06 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:05:47 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
wrote:

>ZONED! wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:56:31 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>> snipped
>> >
>> >look at http://www.White-lightning.com
>> >
>> >http://www.white-lightning.com/remote_studio.html for example.
>> >
>> >these will be good, and will last. both wl and alien bees are compatible
>> >with acessories from balcar which seem to use the same attachment system
>> >for the reflector / speedrings.
>> >
>> >if you need any more information or photos of wl equipment, let me know.

>> I have used ABs quite a lot and although similar they are not the
>> lights that WL are.
>
>the good news is that if you someday add White-Lightning equipment,
>they and all the accessories will be compatible.

I was not clear. I have used ABs but OWN white lightning:o )
!