ATI Radeon 5870 v2 1GB GDDR5 question

cballaz

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I have a cheap 450w psu built in a case and and my mobo is Asus
M4A785TD-V Evo, AM3, 785G, DDR3, Crossfire X, HDMI, ATX. So my problem is that when I tried to connect the 5870 to the board and powered my computer I got this high pitched continuous beep but when I used the integrated gpu on the board (ATI Radeon HD 4200) it works fine. So I'm wondering if my problem is the psu or is it something else and I would like to know before buyng anything.

Your PSU isn't powerful enough. ATI recommends at least a 500W PSU to run a single 5870. I'd want a high quality one with a little more power. Go get a 550W from Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, or Silverstone. If you go larger (like a 750W for Crossfire), XFX becomes an option too. I don't think they make anything smaller than 650W...

No, but there's no way to know if you don't have a good PSU. You need to start somewhere when troubleshooting, and the first step is having parts that will work together. A low wattage PSU and a 5870 won't work together.

That said, I'm fairly certain it's not the board. You said everything works fine when you remove the GPU. That indicates that the problem is most likely to be either the GPU or the PSU. Those are the only items that cause further stress to the system when the GPU is added. It's possible that the PCIe 2.0 slot is defective, but it's not likely. If this were the case, the build wouldn't be likely to work even without the GPU.

cballaz

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Is this case and psu enough?

PSU: Corsair 550W 550VXEU ATX V2.2, +3.3V 30.0A,+5V 20.0A,+12V1 41.0A, -12V 0.8A,+5Vsb 3A.

Case: CoolerMaster CM690

The case you had should be fine already. You can remove the PSU and install a new one in it. Unless you just want a new case any way, in which case, the 690 is an excellent one. Some other good ones are the Coolermaster Centurion 5, Antec 300 Illusion and the Rosewill Challenger

That PSU would be perfect. It's easily one of the best lower wattage units.