Sign in with
Your question

A few questions about this build before I buy... Thanks!

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2010 1:10:10 PM

I've asked a couple times here, and I think I've got a good build down. I appreciate everyone's help. Check it out:

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GH
Mobo: Gigabyte GA x58a ud3r
Gpu: possible gtx 470
Cooling: Coolit systems advanced liquid cooling
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w
Memory: Patriot Viper II sector 7 6gb ddr3 1600
SSD: OCZ vertex series 60GB sata II
HDD: Seagate barracuda 1.5TB 7200 rpm sata 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Case: Antec DF-85

Got a couple questions about it though!

1. I'm looking to build a "beastly" machine that will last several years. What do you think of this build?

2. If you were in my shoes, would you buy 2 gtx460's NOW for SLi, or would you buy a gtx470 or 480 with plans to SLi at a later date?

3. With this build, am I able to take advantage of 3D options? (Got a 1900x1200 samsung monitor)

4. Am I bottlenecked in any way?

Thanks guys!! :) 

More about : questions build buy

September 30, 2010 1:26:05 PM

You can't like to the shopping cart. That "secure" part of the url means no one else can see it. You'll need to create a public wishlist or post every part/combo separately (this is preferred).

Also, to get the best advice, please follow the guidelines from the link in my signature. We need a lot of information to give advice that fits you the best.

1.) No idea. Can't see the build.

2.) Neither. I'd go with a single 5870 now and add another later. That'll give you the best bang for your buck. Obviously, you're wanting 3D, which ATI doesn't offer right now, but I'll talk about that in a second.

3.) Not likely, but it's not the build, it's the monitor. Most monitors are 60 Hz models. To do 3D, you need a 120 Hz one. If your monitor isn't brand new AND doesn't explicitly say either 120 Hz or 3D enabaled, you can't use it for 3D. That said, 3D isn't worth it right now. Games don't use it well yet, and likely won't for a good five years. By that time, you'll need an entirely new gaming build, so it's pointless to spend more to get it right now. There is no reason to spend more for a lower perfoming nVidia GPU and a shiny new 120 Hz monitor when you're not going to get really good use of it for several years.

4.) Technically, you are always bottlenecked. There is always a limit to what you can do, so that's your bottleneck. As long as you have a recent CPU (i.e. extremely fast Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad, any AM3, LGA1156 or LGA1366 CPU), the GPU is what will hold you back in gaming. For rendering/encoding and similar tasks, you'll be limited by the CPU regardless of which one you have (yes, even the i7-980X is a bottleneck). In all other areas, it's mostly the HDD/SSD.

That said, if you're asking if it's fairly balance (i.e. you didn't pick the cheapest CPU and the biggest GPU), we can't say because we can't see the build.
m
l
September 30, 2010 1:56:30 PM

Ah! Sorry for being an idiot - I've edited my post to manually include the build.

That's good to know about the 3D feature. I do have a 120hz Samsung LCD tv... But anyway, I won't worry about 3D.

And you are correct about the bottlenecking. I guess what I'm asking is: Are any of my components in this build being held back severly? Is there are fairly good balance?
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2010 2:22:41 PM

What exact RAM is that? I'm just making sure it's 1600 mhz CL 7.

I'd ditch the cheap liquid cooling for either the Sycthe Mugen 2 Rev. B (about $40) or the Noctua NH-D14 (about $90). Liquid cooling isn't really much better than air and its significantly more expensive and has more risk associated with it.

I'd also ditch the Seagate HDD. Grab a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. It's faster and more reliable.

Finally, I'd consider geting either the 5850 or 5870. They'll be roughly as powerful and use a lot less power. If you decide to stick with the 470, you should upgrade the PSU to an 850W.
m
l
September 30, 2010 2:56:25 PM

Here's a link to the ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'll probably take you up on the cooler. I thought it would be neat to have liquid cooling, but I can do without. :D 

As for the HDD, I'm getting a pretty awesome deal for the case, SSD, HDD, and PSU. The problem is that the HDD is locked into the combo deal. So I have to decide what's important to me - getting a great deal or going with a higher quality HDD

As for the PSU, I'm getting conflicting info. Up until now, I'm led to believe a 750w is plenty...
m
l
!