Your question

Asus p8-z68-v and i5-2500k system instability, help

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Intel i5
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 23, 2011 5:36:58 PM

Before I describe the problem, here are my specs....
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ stock frequency
GPU: MSI radeon 6950 2 gig (not flashed/reference design)
Mobo: Asus P8-Z68-V
Ram: 8 gig Gskill Ripjaws 1600 mhz
HSF: Coolermaster V6-GT
HDD: 1 TB barracuda 7200 rpm, 32 mb cache
SSD: OCZ agility III 60 gig boot drive

I have been having problems with random freezing. Whether it's surfing the web, or playing games, the computer will freeze and the CPU indicator LED is solid red on my case. About 1 in 5 times this happens, the computer will recover and continue working after about 2 minutes, the other 4 in 5 I need to restart. I used to think this was caused by overclocking the CPU (I was running at around 4.7), but I cleared CMOS and went back to stock frequencies, and the freezing continued. I have also heard about a new Bios for the Asus P8-Z68-V, and I tried to use EZ flash utility to implement it, but the utility would not recognize is because it was "not an EFI bios". If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be great.

More about : asus z68 2500k system instability

a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2011 5:53:14 PM

check the temperature! sounds like something is overheating buddy (cpu or GPU)..

ALso, what PSU do you have?

Download CPUZ http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

and find out what the CPU and GPU are running at.. they both should be below 60 degrees Celsius.
m
l
August 23, 2011 8:47:27 PM

Nothing is overheating, I've stress tested the CPU for around 12 hours and it peaked at about 70 during it. The GPU is fine too, I monitor it using MSI afterburner. Wouldn't it BSOD if something was overheating? Oh, and I have the Lepatek 700 watt 80+ gold PSU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 23, 2011 9:26:02 PM

Q - What PSU?

Based upon what's listed a 650W minimum and 750W preferable if full OC CPU + GPU.
m
l
August 23, 2011 11:34:07 PM

I have a lepatek 700 watt 80+ gold PSU. And thanks, I will try and use EZ flash 2 correctly and see if it fixes anything
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 23, 2011 11:40:19 PM

I didn't mean it to sound that way, but yes hopefully the guide and video in the link will help.

Good Luck!
m
l
August 23, 2011 11:48:01 PM

Well, honestly, I didn't actually know how to use EZ flash correctly. I formatted a flash drive to FAT32, and successfully updated the bios. I will keep you posted if the freezing continues. Thank You for your help! :D 
m
l
August 25, 2011 9:43:25 PM

I'm in the same situation and really don't know where the problem is. Now i'm running the computer without case, on the integrated graphic with one ram stick and one hdd. My bios is up to date and the ram passed 14 pass of memtest86+ 4.2.

Here is my configuration

Intel i5 2500K stock speed
Asus p8z68-v Pro
8GB Gskill 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V
1TB Black WD hdd
MSI Twin Frost II GTX 560ti
Antec HCG-750 PSU
Stock cooler... for now
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 25, 2011 11:30:50 PM

#darkblade069:

run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic; if that solves the problem(s) then you've got a conflict. Also, download and re-install ALL of the drivers listed for your OS -> http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

DO NOT use the ASUS AI Suite II utilities; uninstall ALL of them. They are BIOS invasive and cause 20X problems vs Help.
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:06:38 AM

wow i had the same EXACT problem as you and i just bought my new pc 3 days ago and i was ready to return it for them to fix then i figured it out.
my specs are
i5 2500k
asus z68 deluxe
corsair 850watt plus gold
2x XFX 6950 2gb crossfire
OCZ 120 gb vertex 3 max iops "sata 3 mode"
2x wd caviar black 2tb "sata 3 mode"
8gb corsair vengance ram

Anyways your problem has nothing to do with your processer what so ever! I thought OC was my problem too. I can tell you right now its your SSD drive. Your Intel rapid storage driver is interfering with your system and causes those pesky freezes and stalls
Fixing it was easy after i found a thread on google and everything is working 100% fine and not a SINGLE freeze Also dont worry this fix works for your SSD too not just vertex

Install the Latest Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) Software
Intel is frequently making updates to their Rapid Storage Software. Expect more to come out to completely fix this problem. For now, install the latest version for optimal performance. You can find and download the latest Intel RST Software here.

Edit your Registry File to Fix the Vertex 3 from Freezing and Locking up, and Increase Performance
This step is a little tricky, but here we go. I highly recommend this because it solved virtually all the issues my drive had, and even increased the performance. This is a work around to the problem with the Intel RST Software.

Copy the entire quote below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]
“LPM”=dword:00000000
“LPMDSTATE”=dword:00000000
“DIPM”=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port5]

Open notepad and paste it. Save the file as “ocz.reg” and make SURE your selected file type is “all”. This should turn the file into a registry file. Now open the file and hit yes to add. Restart your computer and it should be done!
Note: Only do this if you know what you are doing. We do not take responsibility for your actions. I have used this fix and had success along with many others. You can view the original post written by Zoork here. Don’t worry, this works for multiple solid state drives, not just the C300.
m
l
October 16, 2011 4:15:21 PM

darkblade069 said:
I'm in the same situation and really don't know where the problem is. Now i'm running the computer without case, on the integrated graphic with one ram stick and one hdd. My bios is up to date and the ram passed 14 pass of memtest86+ 4.2.

Here is my configuration

Intel i5 2500K stock speed
Asus p8z68-v Pro
8GB Gskill 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V
1TB Black WD hdd
MSI Twin Frost II GTX 560ti
Antec HCG-750 PSU
Stock cooler... for now

I have the exact same motherboard, CPU and the exact same memory and HDD as the OP and having similar problems.

My problems only occur in 3D games and when running 3DMark11's CPU physics test. Never in regular Windows operation.

I don't use a SSD, so I don't think Rapid Storage Technology applies to me.

I have updated the BIOS and all drivers, still have the problem. My thinking in another thread I posted was that it's possibly the PSU, but it looks like people with the exact same CPU/mobo are having similar problems. What's the solution??

Mention that it could be HDD related has given me some new ideas of things to try, but what can I fiddle around with on a simple 7200RPM SATA3 drive?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 16, 2011 4:41:45 PM

^The (2) common problems are: 1. Undersized PSU and 2. BIOS.

As a PSU gets older it loses it's capacity or a loss of 15%~30%.

RE: "3D games / 3DMark11's CPU physics" stresses the PSU. Also, try different GPU drivers both newer and older; use WHQL versions.

Try - http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/
Also note the comments on the bottom; especially 'capacitor aging' - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
m
l
October 16, 2011 6:24:41 PM

Thanks Jaquith, that's also what I am thinking at this point about the PSU. The PSU I have is only half a year old and 600W, which the online wattage need analyzers tell me is pretty much borderline (I'm gonna assume that the sellers of PSUs aren't gonna underestimate power needs).

I have tried running the same tests with superfluous hard drives and fans unplugged, pretty much only the mobo/cpu/GPU and one HDD running off of the 600W supply and still have the same problems.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 16, 2011 7:07:23 PM

"superfluous hard drivesand fans" each HDD 15W~25W and each Fan 5W. IF the PSU fan is running fast then it's a good sign you're under powered.

The OP's minimum PSU should be 650W with no room for OC'ing, and 750W for OC'ing.
m
l
October 16, 2011 9:34:52 PM

I solved my problem. Underpowered PSU notwithstanding (will definitely replace before adding anything else).

A couple people here mentinoed they have the Ripjaws RAM, like I do. Could happen with any brand, but I did find that one of the sticks was faulty.

I booted with Memtest-86 and ran v4.0. It froze up part-way through the test each time I tried. I then loaded up v3.0 and got an error message then freeze. So, I removed one of the memory sticks and tried it with just one stick in slot 1 (or is it 0?) and it ran fine. I then swapped it out for the 2nd stick. Same issue came back again.

Went back to the one stick that worked and tried the same things again that were causing my computer to freeze up, mainly the 3dMark11 physics test. Passed with flying colors numerous times. Slightly lower 3dMark, probably because of less RAM, but I'm running fine now on just the one 4 gig stick. Will get the faulty one exchanged tomorrow.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 16, 2011 10:40:36 PM

Sure if Memtest fails then either the BIOS is messed up or perhaps the RAM itself. Most BIOS will turn-off a bad stick. Try booting with 1 stick, swap, and test the other; typically a boot failure is the easiest way to know which stick is bad.
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:58:36 AM

I had a similar issue with my new build, as follows:

ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO GEN 3
i5-2500K
Radeon 5830
8GB G Skill 12800 (9-9-9-24)
2 x OCZ Vertex 3 (Raid 0 configuration) for OS
2 x OCZ Agility 2
1 750GB Caviar Black HDD

I was getting random freeze (lock-up) with the screen display staying on from point of lockup. No ability to CTR-ALT-DEL, no mouse response, etc... only reboot possible. Ran Memtest for 4 hours with no errors. Eventually I re-FLASHed BIOS (I was already up to date but, just to be sure), and re-installed OS (Win7) -- except the 2nd time around I installed drivers downloaded directly from ASUS site... I DID NOT INSTALL FROM ASUS install DVD!!! Been running for about a day now with no freezing.

Coincidentally, I still have two issues:

1. BIOS does not recognize USB memory stick as a BOOT PRIORITY option. (However, it is strangely available as an device that I can select BOOT OVERRIDE from -- can't figure this one out, any help is appreciate)

2. CPU temp is fairly normal but, if I run prime95 it quickly shoots up above 80 and even broke 90 before I killed the program for fear of overheating the CPU. This may not be at all related to any other issues, and may just be the fault of using the stock thermal paste when installing the CPU....
m
l
January 19, 2012 3:19:24 PM

di4medollaz said:
wow i had the same EXACT problem as you and i just bought my new pc 3 days ago and i was ready to return it for them to fix then i figured it out.
my specs are
i5 2500k
asus z68 deluxe
corsair 850watt plus gold
2x XFX 6950 2gb crossfire
OCZ 120 gb vertex 3 max iops "sata 3 mode"
2x wd caviar black 2tb "sata 3 mode"
8gb corsair vengance ram

Anyways your problem has nothing to do with your processer what so ever! I thought OC was my problem too. I can tell you right now its your SSD drive. Your Intel rapid storage driver is interfering with your system and causes those pesky freezes and stalls
Fixing it was easy after i found a thread on google and everything is working 100% fine and not a SINGLE freeze Also dont worry this fix works for your SSD too not just vertex

Install the Latest Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) Software
Intel is frequently making updates to their Rapid Storage Software. Expect more to come out to completely fix this problem. For now, install the latest version for optimal performance. You can find and download the latest Intel RST Software here.

Edit your Registry File to Fix the Vertex 3 from Freezing and Locking up, and Increase Performance
This step is a little tricky, but here we go. I highly recommend this because it solved virtually all the issues my drive had, and even increased the performance. This is a work around to the problem with the Intel RST Software.

Copy the entire quote below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port5]

Open notepad and paste it. Save the file as “ocz.reg” and make SURE your selected file type is “all”. This should turn the file into a registry file. Now open the file and hit yes to add. Restart your computer and it should be done!
Note: Only do this if you know what you are doing. We do not take responsibility for your actions. I have used this fix and had success along with many others. You can view the original post written by Zoork here. Don’t worry, this works for multiple solid state drives, not just the C300.

Windows is saying that the file is not a binary registry file. Help??
m
l
February 27, 2012 3:41:21 AM

Just manually add the new values to the registry.

start>run>regedit

Go to the path indicated - [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\

Right click Parameters and select New>Key

Name first Key Port0

Select the new key port0, right click port0>new>dword and name first one LPM, 2nd LPMSTATE and last one DIPM

Do these same steps from Port0 to Port5

When finish restart the computer
m
l