Hard drive making a screeching noise, please help

Technoob663

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hi! My cousin sent her computer to me after she got some weird noises from the PC. After i bought it over to my house and started it there was a screeching noise from the hard drive, its like someone dragging a metal sheet on a pavement, windows wasn't starting and screen was blank, i tried for many hours but in vain :( . I opened the case to re-check it to make sure a the sound was from the HDD, and it was :( It's a seagate barracuda 7200 HDD only 1 1/2 year old. Please help me with this i have no idea whats up with this, the PSU seems fine 'cos i've been using it for few days on my computer. Is it broken or going to break. Please help with this. Thanks :)

well if you hear sounds from the hard drive it means its faulty or already broken. when replacing a hard drive make sure to purchase a 2.5 inch and not a 3.5 inch as the bigger ones are used in desktops. also make sure its sata interface and not ide

also since the laptop is not that old it might be under warranty so talk to the manufacturer first as they might replace the hard drive and install windows on it for free

Technoob663

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks alivin, btw the hard drive is not of a laptop but desktop :)

Xttony

Distinguished
It seems that it has a problem with the header or a bent platter. But in either case the hard drive shouldnot work at all. So I'd say buy a new hdd and backup any important data you need. It can give up any time.
Did your cousin drop the hard drive or something?