Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking a Pentium Dual-Core E2140

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2010 5:47:42 PM

Hello everyone... i recently found out that my processor is extremely overclockable. My Pentium Dual-Core E2140! I even heard rumors of people getting theirs up to 3Ghz on stock voltage! Can this be true??? Anyway whether i can get it that high or not i dont care, this is my situation... I would like to overclock my CPU (E2140) from 1.6Ghz to AT LEAST 2.0Ghz or maybe even 2.2 or 2.4. I don't have a fancy motherboard so i won't be able to change stock voltages. What is the highest stable clock i could get out of it? Thanks in advance, Jake
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2010 5:51:58 PM

If you can't change voltages you may not be able to raise the FSB either, if that's the case you can't overclock unless you use software. List your system specs so we can get a better idea. Is your computer "pre-built" or did you, a friend or a shop piece it together?
m
l
December 27, 2010 6:03:27 PM

It was originally an HP machine. I heard HP branded motherboards are IMPOSSIBLE to get any sort of overclocking ability, so i sold it and bought a new motherboard. I got the MSI G41M4-F from Newegg. I now its not top notch, but people did say they got some nice overclocks out of this board. So actually I don't really know if i can change voltages, thats just what i've heard. The board isn't here yet so i cant check.

Here are some of my other system specs:
MB: MSI G41M4-F
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2140 @1.6Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte 9600GT
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200:10 500GB
RAM: 2GB DRR2 800Mhz dual-channel

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2010 6:07:19 PM

You should be able to change a good variety of settings in bios with that board. Are you using stock cooling? A few notables for ya... Lock pcie to 100, max voltage is 1.5, and max cpu and core temps are around 62c and 95c respectively.
December 27, 2010 6:12:28 PM

sportsfanboy said:
You should be able to change a good variety of settings in bios with that board. Are you using stock cooling? A few notables for ya... Lock pcie to 100, max voltage is 1.5, and max cpu and core temps are around 62c and 95c respectively.

Yes i am using stock cooling, but i also picked up some Arctic Silver 5. So im guessing my CPU temps should be fine as far as i will be going... So are you saying with that MSI board i WILL be able to change voltage? And also im new to this so any pointers on overclocking would be greatly appreciated! ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2010 3:05:05 AM

I'm thinking it should be able to change voltage without looking it up. I would read an overclocking guide or two it really isn't hard. Some of the settings you can leave on auto others like voltage,pcie,ram speed and timings,ram voltage should be set manually.
m
l
December 28, 2010 5:24:05 PM

Best answer selected by jmdanna.
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:37:27 AM

Have got some results! overclocked to start with @ 2.2Ghz and may bump it up to 2.4Ghz! Running some torture tests right now to go for about 8 hours.
Max Load temps during torture tests are around 45c and idle temps are in the 30's! hooray! Now Im just wondering; If my RAM sticks (dual-channel) are supposed to be stock 800Mhz does that mean I should adjust the *FSB/RAM speed* ratio so that the "DRAM FREQUENCY" matches pretty close to 800Mhz? I don't believe i should even try overclocking my RAM as they are some pretty cheap OEM RAM that came in my HP machine. This ratio was default set to auto but it was bringing my DRAM frequency higher than 800Mhz so i changed it so the RAM would be 687Mhz, the next closest to 800Mhz...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2010 11:56:50 AM

To do that you'll have to run FSB at 400mhz,I wouldn't worry about it. Besides as you increase your overclock your ram will raise with it on the same divider.
m
l
December 31, 2010 12:45:04 PM

so is what im doing right now fine then? I have the FSB set to 300Mhz. And the FSB/RAM Ratio to 1:1.25. This brings my DRAM frequency to 687Mhz. Am I all set?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2010 12:53:20 PM

You should be fine... what does bios say for vcore at the settings your using? You can check it in windows using cpuz as well.
m
l
December 31, 2010 1:52:44 PM

CPU Vcore in the BIOS is about 1.23v. And i just remembered, the DRAM frequency was not 687Mhz. It was 687 when i had the Bus Speed to 275. Now the Bus Speed is 300, so now the DRAM frequency is 752Mhz. And one more question? Why does CPU-Z say my DRAM frequency is 375Mhz when in BIOS it says it is 752?
m
l
December 31, 2010 2:48:18 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Some of the settings you can leave on auto others like voltage,pcie,ram speed and timings,ram voltage should be set manually.

So i do have the option here to change DRAM timings. You stated above that this should be set manually. For my RAM, what do you think i should set these too? I have 2x 1GB DDR2 PC6400 Sticks in Dual Channel mode. Here are the settings i can change:

CAS Latency (CL)
tRCD
tRP
tRAS
tRTP
tRFC
tWR
tRRD
tWTR

Currently all of these settings are set to auto. Every option except the CAS Latency you can change it to different DRAM Clocks. And The CAS Latency has the option to change to 3,4,5, or 6. Thanks!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2010 4:08:16 PM

Core voltage... cpuz shows it half of what your used to seeing because ram is ddr= double data rate. So no worries, it's running at 700mhz not 350.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2010 4:10:03 PM

You want to set the main ram timing to factory specs, as well as voltage.

For example dd2 running 700mhz and 5-5-5-15, just guessing on the timings.
m
l
December 31, 2010 7:15:45 PM

how do i find out what factory timings are on generic ram?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2010 9:18:15 PM

Sometimes there is a sticker on the ram it's self. Maybe the info is on the box, if no luck you can experiment and test for stability, or just leave it on auto.
m
l
!