AMD rana 445 95 Watt CPU running at 105 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
My new build with a Rana 445 95 Watt CPU reads 105 Watts with the stock 3 cores active. Once the stable 4th core is activated it reads 140 Watts. In both cases that would equal 35 Watts per core. My motherboard supports up to 140 Watts so I am not worried about the MB but I am worried about frying my CPU.

Can I lower this to 95 Watt on 3 cores or 125 Watt on 4 cores? If so how do I achieve this?
Do I need to worry about damaging my CPU with these higher watts? My core voltage is within limits. (1.4 max)

My Specs:
AMD Rana 445 95W CPU with 4th core activated (sometimes). Propus die.
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 Motherboard

The only things I have changed i bios is the memory clock (was default at 1333 but rated to 1600) and activating the 4th CPU core. Every other setting is default.

I also receive a rare BSOD, could over wattage be the cause? I have run prime 95 for 10 hours with no issues. I have also received no memory errors with memory tests. My temps are cool 29C idle 43C under stess.

Thanks!

Solution
I wouldn't worry about it. At stock clocks, my i7 reads at 146W using the same software (even though it's rated at 130).

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
3 Cores Active @ 100%

3cores.jpg

4 Cores Active @ 100%

4cores.jpg

I have used SpeedFan and CPUID to monitor Wattage. Both give the same reading.

If the cpu was designed as a quad core, and the mainboard supports quad 130 watt quad cores, you will not damage it as a result of running the hopefully-servicable 4rth core...; you might want to investigate what voltage is for a stock quad core, you might need a slight v-core boost for reliability for the 4th core unless your MB has boosted it for you....

Running 4 instances of Prime95 should tell you within an hour if the 4rth core and it's cache are serviceable...........

When you went from a triple- to a quad-core your volts dropped :lol:

That's good. Still might be a touch high, though, or worst case for you, need a little volt bump for stability.

No reason you can't be between 1.3v and 1.35v unless you got really unlucky with your chip.

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

I lowered it to 1.35v with no issues yet. Thanks!

However my original question hasnt been answered yet. Why is it showing 105W on a 95W chip? Is something not set right in bios?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
You were always supposed to get it. Even AMD agrees with you!

2719319928_31eb8d6d92_b.jpg

Enabling that 4th core eats a bit more energy, makes it a slightly better space-heater.

Plus you get an extra core! Très bein!

And your motherboard supports it, power-wise too!

Software can be a bit of a fiddle:

3255712631_1df9950738_z.jpg

(Yes, because my S3 IGP can so run at 35Ghz)

If you dropped the volts back and that 105w reading did not budge: Do not trust that reading. Dropping from 1.38v to 1.35v should have got yah something.

When you unlock a core your readings do get borked. It's as much a 'feel' thang as anything else. Best thing to do is compare readings when locked and unlocked, and then use your best judgement on where you stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS