Sign in with
Your question

Which EXTERNAL HDD works best with Win7 Pro BACKUP Utility?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Western Digital
  • Backup
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2013 2:53:10 PM

Currently, I have a 500GB Western Digital "Elements" (USB) portable HDD. It does NOT work with Microsoft's "Backup Utility" nor with Windows' "System Image" backup.

Therefore, I am left without a backup of any kind, except for the Repair Disk (CD) that I created. I'm not even certain that it would work. Haven't tried it.

I want to know which is the best, most reliable BRAND/MODEL of an External HDD (with good English-speaking support) I can purchase that will work (absolutely) with Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit -- Backup Utility. I am looking for one that exceeds 500GB's up to maybe 1TB or 1.5TB's, for ample storage.

After reading numerous problems which users posted about the Acronis software, I'm extremely hesitant to purchase it. That's why I'm striving to find something that Windows 7 Pro can recognize and utilize properly. So far, Windows 7 Pro has failed miserably when I try to use it to backup my system to my WD 500GB "Elements" external drive. It will not work. And, MS hasn't provided any common sense information about how to make it work.

Seeking recommendation for specific BRAND/MODEL. (Note: I prefer Western Digital, even though the one I have now doesn't seem to work with Windows 7, or vice/versa).

More about : external hdd works win7 pro backup utility

a b G Storage
January 9, 2013 3:18:00 PM

Get a seagate expansion drive. Good reliability, and performance.
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:31:01 PM

Xttony said:
Get a seagate expansion drive. Good reliability, and performance.

I appreciate the reply, but you didn't reply to my request.

You didn't mention BRAND NAME nor MODEL NUMBER.

That was the specific request I was hoping for.

Just saying "Seagate" is not enough. There are thousands of choices!

I want a HDD that you, or someone else, uses that actually works with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit using its "Windows Backup Utility!"

You provided no info on that.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 10, 2013 10:54:15 AM

I use a seagate goflex 2TB hard drive. Since it is not available I told you to go with seagate's replacement for that drive seagate expansion.
Here seagate is the brand name and expansion the name of the series.
Since all have almost same specs with different sizes I left that fr you to decide, as you had 500GB, 1TB and 1.5TB options in mind.
Here's the link to the 1TB hard drive.
m
l
January 10, 2013 11:06:46 AM

Xttony said:
I use a seagate goflex 2TB hard drive. Since it is not available I told you to go with seagate's replacement for that drive seagate expansion.
Here seagate is the brand name and expansion the name of the series.
Since all have almost same specs with different sizes I left that fr you to decide, as you had 500GB, 1TB and 1.5TB options in mind.
Here's the link to the 1TB hard drive.

Thanks for replying.

First, you mentioned a link, but you didn't provide one.

Second, have you (personally) used your 'goflex' drive with Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit AND with MS's "Backup" to create either a backup or a System Image, successfully? Yes? or No?

Third, you didn't provide a Model Number. You provided only the name of the model class.

Without such information, it's extremely difficult to search for a --specific-- external drive.
m
l
!