Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best AM3 CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 27, 2010 6:23:26 PM

I am thinking about a CPU upgrade sometime in 2011. I have a couple of questions, I'll post my builds below. The first is should I even bother at this point with an upgrade on either system? My budget build is my main gaming PC right now and so far it has played everything I want it to. Would I be better doing a GPU upgrade on the budget build?

The other questions are AM3 CPUs and what is the best one out there and the second would be which is the biggest bang for the buck?

The budget build:
OCZ Fatality 550w PSU
ASRock 870 MB
Athlon II x 3 440 (which the MB unlocked to a Phenom II x4!!!)
ASUS 5770 1GB GPU
4GB GSKILL DDR3 12800
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

The Other Build:
Corsair 750TX
MSI 790FX-GD70
Phenom II x4 965 BE
XFX 5850 1GB GPU
4GB GSKILL DDR3 12800
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

Both running Win7 Pro 64

Thanks,

-Joe

More about : am3 cpu

a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 6:27:18 PM

sometime?a little more specific please.
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 6:32:54 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
sometime?a little more specific please.


Say sometime 1st or 2nd quarter 2011. first half of the year.

-Joe
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 207 à CPUs
December 27, 2010 6:35:14 PM

The 1100T is probably the best AM3 CPU, but rather than upgrading a CPU now when it looks like you have pretty solid builds, i would hold off unit Bulldozer comes out if you are looking at a potential CPU upgrade. If your budget build is your main system right now and is doing everything you want, i dont see a reason to upgrade, wait until it cant do something that you want it to do, otherwise you will waste money on small incremental upgrades instead of spending less on a much larger upgrade less often.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 6:38:11 PM

69Rocket-Joe said:
I am thinking about a CPU upgrade sometime in 2011. I have a couple of questions, I'll post my builds below. The first is should I even bother at this point with an upgrade on either system? My budget build is my main gaming PC right now and so far it has played everything I want it to. Would I be better doing a GPU upgrade on the budget build?

The other questions are AM3 CPUs and what is the best one out there and the second would be which is the biggest bang for the buck?

The budget build:
OCZ Fatality 550w PSU
ASRock 870 MB
Quote:
Athlon II x 3 440 (which the MB unlocked to a Phenom II x4!!!)

ASUS 5770 1GB GPU
4GB GSKILL DDR3 12800
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

The Other Build:
Corsair 750TX
MSI 790FX-GD70
Phenom II x4 965 BE
XFX 5850 1GB GPU
4GB GSKILL DDR3 12800
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

Both running Win7 Pro 64

Thanks,

-Joe

The absence of level 3 cache doesnt make an athlon to a Phenom no matter how fast you oc the athlon.
I dont really think you have to upgrade.Are there any problems with your current build?Both gpu and cpu wise you really dont have much to consider.5770 is good already and the 5850 should handle everything.Save the money if performance is really bad.
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 6:39:02 PM

69Rocket-Joe said:
I am thinking about a CPU upgrade sometime in 2011. I have a couple of questions, I'll post my builds below. The first is should I even bother at this point with an upgrade on either system? My budget build is my main gaming PC right now and so far it has played everything I want it to. Would I be better doing a GPU upgrade on the budget build?

The other questions are AM3 CPUs and what is the best one out there and the second would be which is the biggest bang for the buck?

The budget build:
OCZ Fatality 550w PSU
ASRock 870 MB
Athlon II x 3 440 (which the MB unlocked to a Phenom II x4!!!)
ASUS 5770 1GB GPU
4GB GSKILL DDR3 12800
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

The Other Build:
Corsair 750TX
MSI 790FX-GD70
Phenom II x4 965 BE
XFX 5850 1GB GPU
4GB GSKILL DDR3 12800
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

Both running Win7 Pro 64

Thanks,

-Joe



can you providing more detail about how much of ur budget first? best am3? based on limited detail i would said you should wait for 1100t which is going to release in january. since you're going to build it in 2011 which it is worth to wait for 1100t.
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 6:52:16 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
The absence of level 3 cache doesnt make an athlon to a Phenom no matter how fast you oc the athlon.
I dont really think you have to upgrade.Are there any problems with your current build?Both gpu and cpu wise you really dont have much to consider.5770 is good already and the 5850 should handle everything.Save the money if performance is really bad.



All I know is the 4th core unlocked and Win7 reports it as an Phenom II x4. The only problems I have are with my second system not booting properly. It seems to happen a lot. I think it is the MB as when I built it I had issues getting the video card to work with 8GB of RAM. I finally got everything to work after taking out 4GB RAM.

Right now I am pretty happy with the performance of both systems but my budget built struggled recently with Metro 2033 on high settings, but I've read that is a resource hog of a game.

It looks like I would be best off waiting for a bit and going with a new MB CPU combo a little later in 2011 then? Maybe rebuild my second system with a 1100t and but the 965 BE in the budget system? The MSI MB doesn't have USB 3.0 support and I suspect it to be causing some issues to begin with so I wouldn't feel bad about ditching it. Also I have next to nothing installed on that PC so a fresh OS install would be easy.

I guess I was just wondering if I SHOULD upgrade anything at this point or hold off until later 2011 to think about it. Since building the budget system I haven't kept pace with what has been coming out, or what is slated to come out so I am a little out of date on hardware.

-Joe
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 6:52:30 PM

now the amd pcu that's bang for buck would be either 955be/965be/1055t



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

however can you tell us what is the purpose of the rig for? if it's just simple gaming than your athlon x3 is far enough for easy gaming. qaud core and six core still too overkill for simple use.

Quote:
Will the 1100t be a bang for buck choice when it gets released? That's the question I suppose


my mistake...i didn't know it had released for a while ago..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:00:56 PM

cheesesubs said:


however can you tell us what is the purpose of the rig for? if it's just simple gaming than your athlon x3 is far enough for easy gaming. qaud core and six core still too overkill for simple use.



my mistake...i didn't know it had released for a while ago..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


The purpose of both systems is for gaming and HT applications. I was lucky enough that I can get decent FPS on CoD: BO on my budget build while many with higher end rigs than mine cannot. From what I am reading here I am probably better off saving my money now and going with a newer MB and a six core AMD about this time next year?

-Joe

m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:11:36 PM

Quote:
Oh so you already bought the hardware you posted?


Yes, sorry if that was not clear. I already have built both systems. I was asking if I were due for an upgrade or not and if it would be worth it to upgrade either system yet.

-Joe
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 7:14:01 PM

I suggest you fix your problem regarding the boot up.Other than that your still have good hardware that will last you another year.
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:17:31 PM

Quote:
Put the 5770 in the x4 965 and the 5750 in the x3.

Then the 965 can easy be overclocked to 4ghz on a 25usd cooler.
If your looking to upgrade think about adding another 5770 or buying a better gpu. the 470 prices seem to be dropping aswell as the 6870s prices.

Ill refer you to here

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...


Why should I switch the GPu's? the 5850 is better than the 5770 right? I use the budget build more often so a switch would probably make sense. I have a Coolermaster hyper 212 on the 965 rig but haven't pushed OC on it yet because I do have crashing issues on boot up at times. Maybe I should do a fresh OS install...

-Joe
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:18:28 PM

Quote:
For gaming don't bother bout unlocking that core you won't need it...... It will cause more harm than good


The core has been unlocked since I put it together and, knock on wood, the system has been absolutely bulletproof.

-Joe
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:19:49 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I suggest you fix your problem regarding the boot up.Other than that your still have good hardware that will last you another year.


OK thanks, that is kind of what I was hoping. I go on kicks where I pay attention to hardware and end up building new rigs and then I lose touch and never know when I get way behind the curve.

Also the second system was built about this time 2009 and the budget build was about July or so when it got built with spare parts and some sale parts from Newegg (damn their shell shockers)

-Joe
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 7:21:47 PM

69Rocket-Joe said:
Why should I switch the GPu's? the 5850 is better than the 5770 right? I use the budget build more often so a switch would probably make sense. I have a Coolermaster hyper 212 on the 965 rig but haven't pushed OC on it yet because I do have crashing issues on boot up at times. Maybe I should do a fresh OS install...

-Joe

Dont fix it if it aint broken.Some issues have been known to arise from swapping gpu's.I just kinda feel you would be troubling yourself soo much for when you start upgrading unnecessary parts etc.The performance gain is minimal.

But overclocking of course is a different story.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 7:24:36 PM

Quote:
The one that don't which you said you had ram problems do the following. Remove the mobo from the case and test it. Theres something from the mobo touching your case.

Your suggestion are very lively and enthusiatic but sometimes i wonder if you ever really do understand what you are advising people to do.
m
0
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 27, 2010 7:24:45 PM

Stick with the 870 and x3.

This is your current system, right? The HD 5850 is by far the better card and would work great with that x3 (especially at 15x240MHz). Sweet deals on them now, too.

Not a good time to be investing in a motherboard with AM3+ right around the corner EXCEPT for a great deal on a 790-890FX motherboard if you come across one. I snagged an Asus M4A79T Deluxe for $90 a month ago.

Your RAMs and CPU should move into AM3+ quite nicely, too.
m
0
l
a c 147 à CPUs
December 27, 2010 7:27:54 PM

I would use the 'other' build as the gaming rig and I see no need to upgrade at this time, except maybe go to 8gb ram, and/or raid or ssd.
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:32:55 PM

Wisecracker said:
Stick with the 870 and x3.

This is your current system, right? The HD 5850 is by far the better card and would work great with that x3 (especially at 15x240MHz). Sweet deals on them now, too.

Not a good time to be investing in a motherboard with AM3+ right around the corner EXCEPT for a great deal on a 790-890FX motherboard if you come across one. I snagged an Asus M4A79T Deluxe for $90 a month ago.

Your RAMs and CPU should move into AM3+ quite nicely, too.


They are two different systems. I have one in my bedroom (the second one with the 965BE) which is mostly a HTPC right now and the budget one which is in my livingroom and sees most of my gaming these days. It may be worth it to swap the video cards between the two since I don't game on the one as much as I thought I would.

-Joe
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:36:54 PM

Quote:
well had the problem before. Changed the ram everything then contacted OCZ. Then they told me to remove it from the case and test it. It worked. There was a pin touching it. Had the exact mobo and cpu


When I first built the system I could not get it to run with 8gb of RAM with the ATI drivers. It would constantly crash and give me the video driver has recovered error but then still freeze up. It would run fine with a generic windows driver. I RMA'd the GPU thinking that was the issue. When the new GPU showed up it did the same thing so I tested with an old 9800gt I had laying around and it did the same thing. I was pulling my hair out when someone on an MSI forum suggested pulling 4GB of RAM out and then everything worked. Now it just fails to boot windows every now and again.

-Joe
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 7:37:13 PM

actually to the guy who wondered wheer you get the l3 cach on an athlon chip... it is there its jsut disabled, just like the 4th core. for some reason the chip was binned without it,it might be defective, but my athlon II x4 unlocked to a phenom II x4 with all the l3 cache functioning and went from the stock 3.1 Ghz to 3.6 Ghz on air with a 212+
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:41:20 PM

Quote:
With both systems you can enjoy gaming for a lengthy time. You can upgrade the gpu but you will know when that's happening when games start using the dx 11 api like metro did. Metro showed how poor most dx 11 gpus are on dx 11.
Which is funny they are branded dx 11 cards


OK thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense. Metro 2033 is the only game I've had had to lower the settings to be able to play smooth. Even then it wasn't like I had to be on low or medium settings, just not high/very high on everything. Also you get on some other forums and people like to trash my combos, especially the AMD part. I've been partial to AMD since my first computer was a K6 way back when. Then an original Athlon slot A, a K6 2 laptop, an Athlon 2 and now my two current systems. I still have the original Athlon system in my shop to run AutoCAD and it still runs great after about 12 years of use, first system I ever built from scratch.

-Joe
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 7:42:20 PM

g00fysmiley said:
actually to the guy who wondered wheer you get the l3 cach on an athlon chip... it is there its jsut disabled, just like the 4th core. for some reason the chip was binned without it,it might be defective, but my athlon II x4 unlocked to a phenom II x4 with all the l3 cache functioning and went from the stock 3.1 Ghz to 3.6 Ghz on air with a 212+


That is what mine did as well but I never knew to check for the l3 cache.

-Joe
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 9:28:47 PM

if you got the money why not?

The Other Build:
Corsair 750TX
MSI 790FX-GD70
Phenom II x4 965 BE
XFX 5850 1GB GPU
4GB GSKILL DDR3 12800
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

looks nice... but try and mix and match some of these parts with the budget parts so you goo easy on the budget you working with and get more for you buck
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 2:28:55 AM

Use the system with the 5850 and 965 BE as the gaming build, the x3 440 as the HTPC, and wait for Bulldozer to come out for a new CPU, you should be fine until then.
m
0
l
!