Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card upgrade opinions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2010 6:15:07 PM

I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on a possible upgrade. I have an opportunity to sell my EVGA nVidia GTX 295 co-op for $250 to a friend. This would give me the ability to upgrade my card to the new Fermi architecture. I was just wondering if I should get the EVGA nvidia 480 gtx or run the 460 gtx in sli. There are also rumors that they are going to release a new dual Fermi card sometime this fall. I heard it will have a dual gf104 chip ( 2 x gtx 460's) and also heard it might have a dual gf 100 chip (2x gtx 480's or 470's)...i dont know how that would be possible with heat and watts but anyways.... I guess my question is should I sell the card and just get the GTX 480 that I want...or am I better off keeping the GTX 295?? Or should I just wait a few weeks and see if the dual fermi does indeed come out?? I saw an article where asus showed off a dual fermi card but looks highly unlikely to be released and would probably be way out of my price range.....I'm just looking into the $400-500 cards right now. However if they released the dual fermi using the gtx 460 chip it should be around 400-500 right?? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

P.S. Please don't tell me to buy an ATI 5970.... I hate ATI and will never buy one of their cards....yes i'm a nVidia "fanboy." :D 

Intel i7 950 DO (OC 3.8 ghz 190 x 20)
EVGA X58 Classified 3 X sli
EVGA GTX Nvidia 295
Venomous X push pull config Noctua fans
Corsair HX 1000 Watt PSU
Corsair Dominator 1600 3 X 2GB
Western Digital Caviar Black HD 2 x 1tb
Cooler Master HAF 932 case
August 18, 2010 6:27:20 PM

I haven't had any problems...I was just under the impression that the Fermi is a better card....and I wanted to upgrade to the dx11 card...I also do a lot of 3D modeling work using 3Ds max and Revit and will say that with high poly models spinning around the viewport I can easily bring this card to its knees...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 183 U Graphics card
August 18, 2010 6:30:23 PM

I doubt you'll see any framerate improvements with either upgrade, the only improvement would be a switch to DX11-for now a questionable improvement at best.
Stick with the 295 and see how things develop.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 195 U Graphics card
August 18, 2010 7:02:47 PM

What did the OP's last sentence read? Hmmm?

As coozie7 says, I doubt you'd see any visible gain, unless you've got specific benchmarks showing otherwise. Now, if the "models spinning around" are using PhysX, you might benefit from adding a second card for that (not for SLI; for PhysX). In that case, you could use a much less expensive card, like a GT240.
m
l
August 18, 2010 7:14:37 PM

Ill be the first to admit I dont know much about the physX set up...can you tell me how to find out if the viewport spinning uses physX or not?? i have no idea...but that sounds like a good option...I also wanted to get a card with an HDMI because for some reason EVGA didn't include it on the 295...if I buy a card for physx...and it has an HDMI port...would I be able to use that for hooking it up to my TV once in a while?? Also is the GT240 the best card for physX...any clue why I can no longer buy another GTX 295 my intent when buying the first one was to later add a second...but now they are all out of stock...are they discontinued??
m
l
a c 400 Î Nvidia
a c 607 U Graphics card
August 18, 2010 8:51:43 PM

The common logic at the moment is that two GTX 460's in SLI will beat one GTX 480 in performance, power consumption, heat, noise, and price.

The alternative would be to get one of the newer GTX 480 models with a custom cooling solution. This article reviews the Zotac GTX 480 AMP! edition with a custom Zalman 3000 cooler. It shows a 27c degree difference at load versus the reference model.
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-GTX-480-Amp-Editio...
m
l
!