Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with change of local user to domain user

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:46:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Until a week ago I worked on Win XP workstation with local users. Now I
installed a Windows 2003 server and created a domain user on which I would
like to transfer my local user's settings and configuration. How can that be
done. The system -> user profile seems only to allow the opposite copy.
--
Kind Regards,
Henri
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 3:06:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

You can use the Copy To function to mirror the profile. Logon at least once
after joining the domain. Then while logged on as another user (with
administrative rights) Control Panel|System|User Profiles, select your
userprofile, Copy To, Browse to
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\userprofile.domainname
Change "Permitted to use:" to "userprofile.domainname" OK.


--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Henri Biron" wrote:
| Until a week ago I worked on Win XP workstation with local users. Now I
| installed a Windows 2003 server and created a domain user on which I would
| like to transfer my local user's settings and configuration. How can that
be
| done. The system -> user profile seems only to allow the opposite copy.
| --
| Kind Regards,
| Henri
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:38:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

When I'm logged in with my local account, copyto is disabled and when I log
in with my domain account, my local account isn't visible, so my problem
isn't solved. Do you know another way?
--
Kind Regards,
Henri


"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You can use the Copy To function to mirror the profile. Logon at least once
> after joining the domain. Then while logged on as another user (with
> administrative rights) Control Panel|System|User Profiles, select your
> userprofile, Copy To, Browse to
> %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\userprofile.domainname
> Change "Permitted to use:" to "userprofile.domainname" OK.
>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Henri Biron" wrote:
> | Until a week ago I worked on Win XP workstation with local users. Now I
> | installed a Windows 2003 server and created a domain user on which I would
> | like to transfer my local user's settings and configuration. How can that
> be
> | done. The system -> user profile seems only to allow the opposite copy.
> | --
> | Kind Regards,
> | Henri
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:03:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

You'll need to logon as another user with local administrative rights.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Henri Biron" wrote:
| When I'm logged in with my local account, copyto is disabled and when I
log
| in with my domain account, my local account isn't visible, so my problem
| isn't solved. Do you know another way?
| --
| Kind Regards,
| Henri
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:50:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

How do you create local administrative rights?
--
Kind Regards,
Henri


"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You'll need to logon as another user with local administrative rights.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Henri Biron" wrote:
> | When I'm logged in with my local account, copyto is disabled and when I
> log
> | in with my domain account, my local account isn't visible, so my problem
> | isn't solved. Do you know another way?
> | --
> | Kind Regards,
> | Henri
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Control Panel|User Accounts|Add
then
Control Panel|User Accounts|"new account"|Properties|Group
Membership|Other|"administrators"
then logon with this account to perform the 'Copy To' function

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Henri Biron" wrote:
| How do you create local administrative rights?
| --
| Kind Regards,
| Henri
!