Sign in with
Your question

First Build

Last response: in Systems
September 30, 2010 7:43:24 PM

Hello,
Looking to do my first build. Nothing hardcore, just a box that can surf the net, edit pictures/video, and that can be expanded to use for home theater/media.
Did a lot of searching/reading.. have a massive headache and feel like I learned little.
Budget...in the $500 ballpark if possible.
What is the best route for me to take- starting from scratch or a barebones system?
What is a decent motherboard/cpu combo that I could start with?

Any recomendations are welcome.
Thanks

More about : build

September 30, 2010 8:23:18 PM

Video editing will be very slow with a $500 configuration. Did you mean to say video watching? Also, do you have an on-line preference for purchasing parts? What currency? Do you live near a MicroCenter?
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2010 8:27:48 PM

At first it will be for just doing basic editing of pictures and surfing the net...but I would like to have it expandable for editing video in the future.
No preference for buying online or brick and mortar.
Good ole American greenbacks is the currency.
Not sure about living near a microcenter...Im in Biloxi, Mississippi
m
l
September 30, 2010 8:48:08 PM

Sorry about the poor earlier post...must have missed this....

Approximate Purchase Date: this weekend

Budget Range: $500-$600 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing the internet, editing pictures, expandable to edit video and be a media server

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com and anywhere that has good prices

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: N/A...just want reliable and newb proof

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: not sure, it has been setting idle for 18 months

Additional Comments: would like a case w/ a little bling factor to it...my office area is open and guests will see it...would like something with a little more flashythan the standard dell/hp case.

m
l
September 30, 2010 8:58:06 PM

hmm ok

$606 after rebate and promo code on hdd
m
l
September 30, 2010 9:33:08 PM

No Microcenter near Biloxi, darn, because they have cheap processors.

Obsidian has a pretty good build here. You need to make sure to try and unlock the 4th core on that CPU. If you succeed, you might actually be able to do some video editing.

Good Luck.
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:12:54 AM

eloric said:
No Microcenter near Biloxi, darn, because they have cheap processors.

Obsidian has a pretty good build here. You need to make sure to try and unlock the 4th core on that CPU. If you succeed, you might actually be able to do some video editing.

Good Luck.

its already an x 4
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:50:00 AM

Here's what I came up with

$537 with onboard video, you can add the video card Obsidian recommended for $617 total.

Edit: whoops, forgot the $16 bucks u save using the promo code on the hard drive.
m
l
!