How hot should i5 460m run?

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2010 1:52:10 AM

Hello,
I was testing my new Acer 5742G-7200 (the following specs):
processor: i5 460m
gpu: nvidia geforce GT 420m
Ambient temp: ~68

my processor temp is ~39-45 at idle; but jumps up to a max of 78 under stress (the avg under stress is ~75). the tjunct for the 460m is 105, but I'm still worried:
1. is this too hot?
2. if I get carried away and play a heavy game for a couple of hours straight(assuming the processor runs at an avg of 69-75) during the game, will this damage the processor in the long run?

Edit: I get these readings using coretemp

More about : hot 460m run

a b à CPUs
December 28, 2010 2:15:24 AM

1) its a little hot, but some laptops are like that because of poor air circulation.
2) no, if the tjunction is 105 and your under it by 30 degrees you'll be ok, it just might be uncomfortable. Plus prime95 and other stress tests simulate temperatures that are very hard to come by in regular day-day usage including gaming.
m
l
December 28, 2010 2:51:12 AM

bavman said:

2) no, if the tjunction is 105 and your under it by 30 degrees you'll be ok, it just might be uncomfortable. Plus prime95 and other stress tests simulate temperatures that are very hard to come by in regular day-day usage including gaming.

Thanks for the quick reply-its a relief to know I don't have to worry that much about it.
I got just two more questions:
1. with that t-junct of 105, at around what temp should I start worrying about my processor's long-term safety?

2. I just ran crysis highest settings for a while (about 20 minutes). According to the log, my temps avg 73, with a max of 79 and low of 66. I hit these temps while using a 4 fan angled aluminum cooler/stand. Is there any thing else I should do about these gaming temps w/out voiding the warranty?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2010 3:31:07 AM

1. Tjunction is the max temp that the cpu should run at before damage will occur. Its weird because tjunction for desktop cpu is around 74ish but laptops seem to be higher.

2. if your getting high temps like that just from gaming you should run prime95 stress test to see your max temps. Those seem really really high and you might wanna give the manufacturer a call to replace your cpu or computer.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 28, 2010 4:08:27 AM

Honestly, 78 is fine for a laptop. Most people like to keep their desktop CPUs below 70, but laptops are usually OK up to 80-85 or so (and the official Intel spec is even higher, something like 100C)
December 29, 2010 5:38:02 AM

sweet!
big thank you's all around for everyone's replies. It's a big relief to know that I can game for extended periods of time at high 70s without having to worry about any damage to my system.

someone can close this thread now :) 
m
l
December 29, 2010 5:41:07 AM

Best answer selected by johnnygg.
m
l
!