Sign in with
Your question

Can Use two hard drives independently?

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2013 9:20:33 PM

I have two identical model MSI laptops; same OS, same everything. One of the laptops' video card failed and no longer produces any images on screen.The laptop that failed has MS Offfice on the hard drive, the one that still works does not- so when I need to use MS Office or access any other data on that hard drive I have to disassemble the laptop and swap drives. MY question is: Can I put the second drive in an external enclosure and then access it via USB, and if so will the OS on the drive I am accessing be the one in use? can I switch between OS's?
a b D Laptop
a c 133 G Storage
January 10, 2013 4:57:12 AM

The only way I can see that working is if you boot from the external drive when you need to access Microsoft Office. Bear in mind that this is only a guess from me as I have never tried it. The OS used will be the one on the drive you boot from.
m
l
January 10, 2013 3:56:43 PM

kenrivers said:
The only way I can see that working is if you boot from the external drive when you need to access Microsoft Office. Bear in mind that this is only a guess from me as I have never tried it. The OS used will be the one on the drive you boot from.

Okay,thanks for your response. I guess whole 'switching OS's' thing might be too complicated for what its worth. So maybe you can help by answering this: Will I be able to use MS Office from external drive, or is it somehow working through that particular drive's OS?
m
l
January 10, 2013 4:06:24 PM

With the product key of MS Office, you can install it on your working computer. I reinstalled my office in three different hard drives with no problem, when I upgraded my system. To clarify, the old HDDs are either discarded or formatted, so the product key is activated on only one HDD.
m
l
!