Is this sufficient?

myfunkychannel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hi all, is this good enough to run Black Ops? Also how would you rate this computer? Do I need to upgrate anytime soon?

* Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS4P
* CPU: Core 2 Duo. 3Ghz / 6mb / 1333FSB
* Memory: 2x2GB Kingston DDR2 800Mhz
* Graphic card: Gigabyte Geforce 9500GT 1GB overclock 650MHZ

quick question. 1GB ddr2 vs 512 ddr3, difference is being speed but ddr2 is 1GB vs 512MB. but people still get ddr3 yet it being smaller. what does the size have effects on?

4745454b

Titan
The reason is bandwidth. Might be 1GB, but because its DDR2 is moves slower (500 actual, 1GHz effective.) and is probably on a narrower bus as well. By moving down to 512MBs of DDR3 ram, you gain speed (750 to 1GHz actual or higher) and bus width as well. (128 bit)

So why does this matter? If your memory bandwidth is to low, your GPU's chip will be spending to much time idle waiting for information. The chip itself might be able to render 60FPS, but the memory is so slow that it can only do 45FPS. 512MBs is usually still enough to render most games fine without having to grab system memory, but you won't have enough for AA, etc. If I had to chose between a 1GB DDR2 card and a 512MB DDR3 card I would get the DDR3 card without even thinking about it.

myfunkychannel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
ok thanks. i want to make my computer faster without changing cpu or motherboard. so im thinking of changing my ram...is it better to have less memory but more speed or the other way around for my ram.
running on windows xp pro so i think 4gb is the limit i have.

cause i notice someone say videocard needs to change but they didn't say if ram was sufficient. i know ram has enough memory but its slow aint it? cause i want to make my computer really fast

If you want to change anything, you should change the video card. System RAM speed really doesn't matter very much, especially on a Core 2, and you already have 4GB. I sincerely doubt you'd see a difference if you replaced your current RAM with 1200MHz RAM of the same capacity, but you'd see a huge difference from replacing the video card.

myfunkychannel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
running on stock cpu fan...any suggestion for a not so expensive cpu fan so i can overclock? running 550w powersupply. willing to pay ~$200 for the new card. So was thinking either geforce gtx 465 or geforce gtx 460. thoughts?

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Sometimes there are commands that you can insert into the "target" field of the shortcut to force certain modes when launching the application. HW Acceleration, Custom Resolution, DX mode, etc. You'd have to do some Googling to see if these are available for CoD:BO but I've done it successfully with some games.

Forcing DX 9.0 would take a lot of load off the GPU and make it playable. That card can only *barely* handle DX10 applications.

myfunkychannel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
i dont get the diference between gtx 460 standard to gtx 460 overclock. couldn't you just buy a standard gtx 460 and overclock it yourself. whats the point wasting extra $$$ for something that you can do yourself?

someone please explain