Sign in with
Your question

250 GTS not responding?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2010 9:05:30 PM

I have a XFX Nvidia 250 GTS 512 mb DDR3 PCI-E g-card, but my monitor won't respond, as in start up it will just show a black screen.

When I use the onboard mobo card, it responds and works fine but whenever I hook up the monitor to the DVI, the black screen.

I already tried disabling the onboard mobo in device manager, and upgraded to the newest drivers. However, I have not used Driver Sweeper when trying to reinstall maybe three times. Could this be the problem? I can't find an option in BIOS to disable the onboard mobo (I can find onchip vga frame buffer size, and its on 256mb, not sure if thats the way to disable) and also can't find an option to change the priority of slots (PCI-E, PCI, ect).

It worked for the first time I got it for a day, and when I tried turning back on the computer, the monitor wouldn't respond. I have gotten a replacement, but the same problem occurs.

Mobo: Foxconn M61PMP-K AM3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 64
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4gig
Onboard GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE
GPU Card: XFX Nvidia GeForce 250 GTS
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

More about : 250 gts responding

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
August 18, 2010 9:09:50 PM

you have plenty of power for the card? power connector is firmly snapped into place?
m
l
August 18, 2010 9:10:03 PM

Also my PSU is 550w, don't think that should be the issue.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2010 9:10:21 PM

It is snapped into place, the fan is running
m
l
August 18, 2010 11:17:21 PM

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
m
l
August 19, 2010 5:24:04 PM

Also, now i notice that my windows takes about 5 minutes to start up...if that has to do with anything usually boot time before was close to 10 seconds.

but the first problem would be more priority
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
August 19, 2010 6:33:19 PM

Did you use the 6pin power connector if not then what are you waiting for?

m
l
August 19, 2010 7:07:05 PM

nforce4max said:
Did you use the 6pin power connector if not then what are you waiting for?

yeah i did but the psu socket is 8 then goes to 6 to the gpu. thats okay right?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
August 19, 2010 10:51:39 PM

Noooo and don't be an idiot. Use the adapter then. The one that uses two 4pin molex at one end and the other is a 6pin that came with the card.
m
l
August 20, 2010 2:08:47 AM

nforce4max said:
Noooo and don't be an idiot. Use the adapter then. The one that uses two 4pin molex at one end and the other is a 6pin that came with the card.

i'll try that but i think you're getting confused because i didnt phrase clear enough

i put in a 8 socket into the psu and the other side is a 6 socket going to the gpu. im not using a 8 socket going into a 6 socket gpu
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
August 22, 2010 5:00:11 PM

Not really since there is a communication issue.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
August 22, 2010 5:09:11 PM

I'll try to clear things up. Do you have a modular PSU with a 6-pin PCI-e cable, with a 8-pin end that plugs in to the PSU?
m
l
August 23, 2010 8:29:30 PM

yes, thank you that is what i meant. im leaning more towards the psu not being powerful enough, i've looked around but things are pretty confusing as i'm relatively new to this stuff. how do you find out how many amps are goin through 12V line? not sure if this is relevant or even makes sence, but im desperate to try anything now.
m
l
September 22, 2010 4:18:47 AM

Hello, Sorry to get a little off topic but I have been doing a bit of research but can't find the answer I am looking for.

I already own one galaxy gts250 512mb and will be building a new system and would like to reuse the card. My question is whether or not I can SLI this card with the newer 1gb version of this card? If I can, will my Ultra LSP 650Watt power supply be enough? And when hooking up the power do I need to run power to both cards? If I can't SLI the cards, would it be better to purchase a second 512mb version and SLI it with the my existing card(if the price is around $80bucks shipped) or is better to go with the 1gb version or a different graphics card around $130 - $140 range. Thank you for all the help and if you can help me post this this in a better location please let me know I will do so immediately.
m
l
!