THE BEST compatible cpu with asus m2ne

varun5050

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
i have a asus m2ne with amd athlon 64 x2 4000+. i want to upgrade to the best fastest and best compatible cpu. please advice me the best options.
thanks

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
The specs for the board do not seem to mention any phenom ii x4. Maybe it is me but I think that it is only compatible with athlon and sempron CPUs. I did not find the board on the Asus site but that is maybe because it could have been discontinued.

varun5050

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

thank man....
and do i need to make any changes in bios or anywhere elso to completely juice out the cpu.
or just install the new processor and done.

Install and go basically as long as you update the bios before you install it you should be good to go.

Now if you want to overclock its really easy with the 955 all you have to do is increase the multiplier and maybe increase the voltage a tad, but that's it.

when looking up your motherboard cpu upgrade path, what exactly does this mean:
" Due to Bios ROM size limitation remove LAN PXE ROM and change Crashfree3 to Crashfree "
someone explain to me, thanks.
The ROM that the bios is on is really small maybe only a couple hundred KBs upto like 16MB all depends on the board manufactures specifactions and I assume when they added all of the AM3 CPUs to the cpuid support a few things had to be cut because of the size limitation of the ROM chip. So they cut PXE support which is for computers that boot off of a network which is rarely used on home desktop systems and then crashfree bios which is a secondary bios on the ROM that it will resort to if the main bios crashes.

varun5050

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I am on a budget of 110 dollars right now...
So I think phenom ii x2 555 is good option ..
As it is 3.2 ghz and in future if I upgrade my mobo ill be able to unlock 2 more cores

varun5050

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
dear malmental,
if i upgrade to phenom ii x2 555 BE, please tell me that would the mobo completely juice out the cpu and would it be completely compatible with it.....
and should i make any changes in bios settings...
thanks.

You will need an updated Bios Like I stated above for any of the AM3 CPUs you might as well just update to Beta Bios 5001 so you can use any of the AM3 chips except the x6 models.

It will be compatible, but what do you mean by juice it? Are you asking will it overclock it good? If that is what you are asking I doubt that board will be the best for overclocking newer AM3 chips, but it is compatible and will run it no problem.

I do not recommend you getting a dual core you should only be considering upgrading to a tri or quad core with most games being able to use more then 2 cores these days I would rather have more cores then just two slightly faster cores.

Here in the states we can get the Athlon II 640 x4 @ 3.0GHz for just $10 more then the Phenom II x2 555. I think that is the better choice but that is just my opinion.

varun5050

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

thanks man.
ill surely consider your opinion before buying.
and by juicing i meant overclock but if it is not possible atlest my mobo should be able to use the max out of my cpu, and my mobo has many overclocking options, maybe ill try a few of them.

Abomonous

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
If I understand you correctly, your saying asus already did this in the bios 5001 update and all i have to do is flash it in on my M2n-e mobo, install the phenom 2 x4 970 cpu and away ill go, correct? I hope thats correct because i cant find the procedure to perform this anywhere...lol

Abomonous

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I updated my bios to 5001 and then installed the cpu. unit locked up on post screen and i couldnt enter setup or do anything else either. phenom 2 x4 965be is what i used. part number HDZ965FBGMBOX

Abomonous

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
re-seat the processor and try it again.
make sure you have it perfectly lined up and placed securely/correctly.
the chip must be all the way in..

re-install you older processor and boot.
this makes sure the motherboard is still functional and rules it out of the equation.
this takes us back to the processor and it's a bad chip or not installed correctly.

the ASUS site and cpu-upgrade says with the 5001 BIOS that the chip should run.

after you updated BIOS did you immediately install new processor or did you reboot and run the old processor awhile then perform upgrade.?

FYI - the 5001 BIOS is a BETA.!

I installed the bios and verified it was there with cpu-z and windows system. I then shut it down and installed the cpu. post screen says it sees it and the 4 gigs of mem checks ok but it freezes on that screen and i cant do anything. Im on the machine now with my old cpu in it.

I may buy a new mobo. I was just trying to avoid all the hassels associated with a new mobo install. was giving serious consideration to msi 890fxa-gd70 and some new ddr3 1600 mem and just use the new proccessor on it. Trying to avoid reinstalling all my crap. the thought of downloading wow again makes me sad...

Abomonous

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Nah, it would not go past the post screen. I ordered the motherboard and memory along with a ssd drive and an h70 cooler. I will make it better than it was. Better, stronger, faster... Like the six million dollar man...