Dedicated server - help!

I would like to run a dedicated UT2004 server in MacOS X on my dual-1ghz
macintosh. I downloaded the "full" server app and got a cd key, saved it
as "cdkey" (it says save it in your "System" directory - is that the
MacOSX System directory or the game's System directory?), ran
ucc-bin-macosx in the terminal and this came up:

=======================================
ucc.exe: UnrealOS execution environment
Copyright 2001 Epic Games Inc
=======================================

Use "ucc help" for help
logout
[Process completed]

What do I do now? I can't see the game even on my LAN from another
computer (a PC running the full retail game). Do I need the full retail
game on my Mac as well? What commands should I use? Do I need to rename
any of the files? HELP!

-Jen

horndog

"Jennifer Hayes" <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I would like to run a dedicated UT2004 server in MacOS X on my dual-1ghz
> macintosh. I downloaded the "full" server app and got a cd key, saved it
> as "cdkey" (it says save it in your "System" directory - is that the
> MacOSX System directory or the game's System directory?), ran
> ucc-bin-macosx in the terminal and this came up:
>
> =======================================
> ucc.exe: UnrealOS execution environment
> Copyright 2001 Epic Games Inc
> =======================================
>
> Use "ucc help" for help
> logout
> [Process completed]
>
> What do I do now? I can't see the game even on my LAN from another
> computer (a PC running the full retail game). Do I need the full retail
> game on my Mac as well? What commands should I use? Do I need to rename
> any of the files? HELP!
>
> -Jen

You might have better luck here:
http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?name=Forums

HornDog

In article <A7udnZkLDtbFoQPdRVn-sw@giganews.com>,
"HornDog" <horndog_ut2k3@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Jennifer Hayes" <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to run a dedicated UT2004 server in MacOS X on my dual-1ghz
> > macintosh. I downloaded the "full" server app and got a cd key, saved it
> > as "cdkey" (it says save it in your "System" directory - is that the
> > MacOSX System directory or the game's System directory?), ran
> > ucc-bin-macosx in the terminal and this came up:
> >
> > =======================================
> > ucc.exe: UnrealOS execution environment
> > Copyright 2001 Epic Games Inc
> > =======================================
> >
> > Use "ucc help" for help
> > logout
> > [Process completed]
> >
> > What do I do now? I can't see the game even on my LAN from another
> > computer (a PC running the full retail game). Do I need the full retail
> > game on my Mac as well? What commands should I use? Do I need to rename
> > any of the files? HELP!
> >
> > -Jen
>
> You might have better luck here:
> http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?name=Forums
>
> HornDog

Thank you horndog. That's certainly a start - I'm hoping someone will
simply put up (or direct me to) a simple command line I could paste into
MacOSX Terminal that would fire up a standard server running rotating
deathmatch maps...

If I buy the retail MacOS version, would I be able to skip all this
nonsense, and launch the server more easily?

horndog

"Jennifer Hayes" <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote in message

[...]
> If I buy the retail MacOS version, would I be able to skip all this
> nonsense, and launch the server more easily?

Yes, just start the game and you can run a server all with the game GUI.
To use the free version there is a big leaning curve.
Good luck.

HornDog
www.horndogshouse.com

In article <NpCdnROTlaCn4APdRVn-uQ@giganews.com>,
"HornDog" <horndog_ut2k3@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Jennifer Hayes" <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> [...]
> > If I buy the retail MacOS version, would I be able to skip all this
> > nonsense, and launch the server more easily?
>
> Yes, just start the game and you can run a server all with the game GUI.
> To use the free version there is a big leaning curve.
> Good luck.
>
> HornDog
> www.horndogshouse.com

I wonder, the 20004 game says it requires a 32mb graphics card for the
Mac, which I only have an old 16mb one. The server of course doesn't
need a card like that, but do you think I'd still be able to get into
the GUI to host the game? Did that make sense? I'll buy the Mac version
of the game just to host it, providing it will in fact let launch the
game, with my less than the stated requirements video card...

On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:29:21 -0400, Jennifer Hayes wrote:

> I wonder, the 20004 game says it requires a 32mb graphics card for the
> Mac, which I only have an old 16mb one. The server of course doesn't
> need a card like that, but do you think I'd still be able to get into
> the GUI to host the game? Did that make sense? I'll buy the Mac version
> of the game just to host it, providing it will in fact let launch the
> game, with my less than the stated requirements video card...

I doubt it will launch the GUI. A question for you: why are you so
unwilling to do some reading and learn how to run the dedicated server?
It's really not that hard and there is a TON of information freely
available on the net. Do you know how to use Google? Have you stopped by
any of the numerous UT* websites? With the approach you are taking, you
don't seem to really want to run a server, and I don't think you will be
successful with it. Put some time and effort into it, and it will work.

Linux Registered User #327951

> In article <NpCdnROTlaCn4APdRVn-uQ@giganews.com>,
> "HornDog" <horndog_ut2k3@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "Jennifer Hayes" <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > [...]
> > > If I buy the retail MacOS version, would I be able to skip all this
> > > nonsense, and launch the server more easily?
> >
> > Yes, just start the game and you can run a server all with the game GUI.
> > To use the free version there is a big leaning curve.
> > Good luck.
> >
> > HornDog
> > www.horndogshouse.com
>
> I wonder, the 20004 game says it requires a 32mb graphics card for the
> Mac, which I only have an old 16mb one. The server of course doesn't
> need a card like that, but do you think I'd still be able to get into
> the GUI to host the game? Did that make sense? I'll buy the Mac version
> of the game just to host it, providing it will in fact let launch the
> game, with my less than the stated requirements video card...

Before you buy the game try downloading the demo and see if you can
start a server.

HornDog
www.horndogshouse.com

In article <pan.2004.05.09.22.58.03.315598@invalid.org>,
Dan C <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:29:21 -0400, Jennifer Hayes wrote:
>
> > I wonder, the 20004 game says it requires a 32mb graphics card for the
> > Mac, which I only have an old 16mb one. The server of course doesn't
> > need a card like that, but do you think I'd still be able to get into
> > the GUI to host the game? Did that make sense? I'll buy the Mac version
> > of the game just to host it, providing it will in fact let launch the
> > game, with my less than the stated requirements video card...
>
> I doubt it will launch the GUI. A question for you: why are you so
> unwilling to do some reading and learn how to run the dedicated server?
> It's really not that hard and there is a TON of information freely
> available on the net. Do you know how to use Google? Have you stopped by
> any of the numerous UT* websites? With the approach you are taking, you
> don't seem to really want to run a server, and I don't think you will be
> successful with it. Put some time and effort into it, and it will work.

OK, thanks DAD, I'll give it the ol' college try. :) And FYI
smartypants, I have looked over the net, and even on unrealadmin.org,
and steve.denver etc, there isn't a lot of MacOSX specific stuff.

So if you get off your high horse mister, I promise I'll give it another
go today...

:)

-Jen

On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:05:27 -0400, Jennifer Hayes wrote:

>> I doubt it will launch the GUI. A question for you: why are you so
>> unwilling to do some reading and learn how to run the dedicated server?
>> It's really not that hard and there is a TON of information freely
>> available on the net. Do you know how to use Google? Have you stopped by
>> any of the numerous UT* websites? With the approach you are taking, you
>> don't seem to really want to run a server, and I don't think you will be
>> successful with it. Put some time and effort into it, and it will work.

> OK, thanks DAD, I'll give it the ol' college try. :) And FYI

If I was your Dad, you'd be grounded for being a quitter.

> smartypants, I have looked over the net, and even on unrealadmin.org,
> and steve.denver etc, there isn't a lot of MacOSX specific stuff.

I don't believe that. Look harder.

> So if you get off your high horse mister, I promise I'll give it another
> go today...

I'm not on any high horse. Whether you give it another go, or just give
up, makes very little difference to me. It's you that wants to run the
server. So do it.

Linux Registered User #327951

In article <pan.2004.05.11.00.03.17.587210@invalid.org>,
Dan C <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:05:27 -0400, Jennifer Hayes wrote:
>
> >> I doubt it will launch the GUI. A question for you: why are you so
> >> unwilling to do some reading and learn how to run the dedicated server?
> >> It's really not that hard and there is a TON of information freely
> >> available on the net. Do you know how to use Google? Have you stopped by
> >> any of the numerous UT* websites? With the approach you are taking, you
> >> don't seem to really want to run a server, and I don't think you will be
> >> successful with it. Put some time and effort into it, and it will work.
>
> > OK, thanks DAD, I'll give it the ol' college try. :) And FYI
>
> If I was your Dad, you'd be grounded for being a quitter.
>
> > smartypants, I have looked over the net, and even on unrealadmin.org,
> > and steve.denver etc, there isn't a lot of MacOSX specific stuff.
>
> I don't believe that. Look harder.
>
> > So if you get off your high horse mister, I promise I'll give it another
> > go today...
>
> I'm not on any high horse. Whether you give it another go, or just give
> up, makes very little difference to me. It's you that wants to run the
> server. So do it.

Lighten up, Dad, I mean Dan, you ain't the boss o' me. :) OK, I got a
server to work, UT 2004 dedicated on my PC. People can join and play the
game, everything works fine, I can even join it from my Mac. Now, when I
host a dedicated server on my Mac, people can see it show up in their
server lists, but when they or I try and join it, it switches to a black
screen and just sits there. Nobody can join in... I've tried hboth
Listen and Dedicated, same result.

My router is apparently setup correctly, since the PC serves just fine.
Any ideas?

-Jen

In article <jhayes-80FACE.23480610052004@isp.ash.giganews.com>,
Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <pan.2004.05.11.00.03.17.587210@invalid.org>,
> Dan C <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:

> > > OK, thanks DAD, I'll give it the ol' college try. :) And FYI
> >
> > If I was your Dad, you'd be grounded for being a quitter.
> >
> > > smartypants, I have looked over the net, and even on unrealadmin.org,
> > > and steve.denver etc, there isn't a lot of MacOSX specific stuff.
> >
> > I don't believe that. Look harder.
> >
> > > So if you get off your high horse mister, I promise I'll give it another
> > > go today...
> >
> > I'm not on any high horse. Whether you give it another go, or just give
> > up, makes very little difference to me. It's you that wants to run the
> > server. So do it.
>
> Lighten up, Dad, I mean Dan, you ain't the boss o' me. :) OK, I got a
> server to work, UT 2004 dedicated on my PC. People can join and play the
> game, everything works fine, I can even join it from my Mac. Now, when I
> host a dedicated server on my Mac, people can see it show up in their
> server lists, but when they or I try and join it, it switches to a black
> screen and just sits there. Nobody can join in... I've tried both
> Listen and Dedicated, same result.
>
> My router is apparently setup correctly, since the PC serves just fine.
> Any ideas?
>
> -Jen

I'm sorry, I mean, after clicking JOIN, it switches to a black screen
with the words "ut2004://x.x.x.x/index.ut2" on it and just hangs there.

Andrew

On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:48:07 -0400, Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My router is apparently setup correctly, since the PC serves just fine.
>Any ideas?

Have you changed the router to forward the relevant ports to the Mac
rather than the PC?

In article <52q0a05gqcqgnl4ncm8pclrq585c6s65in@4ax.com>,
Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:48:07 -0400, Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >My router is apparently setup correctly, since the PC serves just fine.
> >Any ideas?
>
> Have you changed the router to forward the relevant ports to the Mac
> rather than the PC?

Oooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...

Gee that makes so much sense now at 8:00am than it did last night at
midnight... DOH!

THANK YOU!

-Jen

> from my Mac.

* IWIK drools - I'm jealous!

--
IWIK

In article <jhayes-E787ED.08120211052004@isp.ash.giganews.com>,
Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <52q0a05gqcqgnl4ncm8pclrq585c6s65in@4ax.com>,
> Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:48:07 -0400, Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >My router is apparently setup correctly, since the PC serves just fine.
> > >Any ideas?
> >
> > Have you changed the router to forward the relevant ports to the Mac
> > rather than the PC?
>
> Oooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...
>
> Gee that makes so much sense now at 8:00am than it did last night at
> midnight... DOH!
>
> THANK YOU!
>
> -Jen

Woo-hoo! It's woikin'! Come to "Daisy's Whorehouse" and let me know how
it is! (I'm Daisy)

-Jen

Meltdown

Jennifer Hayes enlightened us with:
> Woo-hoo! It's woikin'! Come to "Daisy's Whorehouse" and let me know
> how it is! (I'm Daisy)

Works like a charm ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.