Sign in with
Your question

6 cell battery or 9 cell battery for this laptop?

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2010 12:40:56 PM

i am about to buy this MSI GX660 laptop but one thing that concerns me is the battery. actually, just 6 cell battery is available right now in this model and i am a bit concerned as i am buying this laptop for gaming purpose only. so , do you think that 6 cell battery will do fine or 9 cell battery is a must for this laptop. Here are the system specifications: PROCESSOR: core i5-460M, RAM: 4GB DDR3(2GB*2), GRAPHIC CARD: ATI Radeon HD5870(1GB DDR5 dedicated graphics), CHIPSET: PM55, HARD DISK: 500GB SATA @5400rpm, SCREEN/RESOLUTION: 15.6" HD, Glare (1366*768) LED
December 28, 2010 1:03:47 PM

Nothing wrong with the 6 cell. If you know you will be away from a power outlet often, then go with the 9 cell.
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2010 1:04:47 PM

How offten will you be using the Laptop without the AC adaptor pluged in?
Look at advertized Battery life - you can expect from 50 -> 60 % battery life under load, ie Playing a DVD movie, or heavy HDD activity.
I prefer the 9 Cell battery pack - Like to watch DVDs on plane. Note, not all Li-ion batteries are equal - there are about 6 diff chemical compositions with slightly diff voltage/watt-hr ratings.
Related resources
December 28, 2010 1:40:49 PM

well no, i'll be at home most of the times with the laptop. just concerned that as i have to play games, is 6 cell a problem or is it okay to go with 6 cell .
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2010 1:55:00 PM

If at home you will normally be pluged in so quest is mute.
When away from an outlet, just remember operating time will be about 1/2 advertized while gaming - If that is excepable then 6 cell is fine.

Another point to consider is battery life (not running time). How long the battery will last before needing replacement is highly dependent on the number of discharge/charge cycles - A nine cell will probably last you longer before needing replacement. (Time measured in years)
December 28, 2010 1:56:44 PM

If a wall outlet is always close then save your money and go with the 6 cell. Your game won't care if your laptop is being powered by the battery or if plugged into the wall outlet.
!