Reinstall Windows after mobo swap?

All,

Quick questions: if I replace my motherboard, CPU, RAM, and maybe graphics card on my homebuilt PC, will I need to totally re-install my Windows 7 OS? Or can the OS update proper drivers, etc. after the swap?

Thanks,

Sherm
4 answers Last reply
More about reinstall windows mobo swap
  1. It may boot and let you uninstall the old and install the new driver, but the OS may not operate properly and may crash/freeze/BSOD all the time, or it may not even post. It is best to do a fresh install.
  2. ShermD3 said:
    All,

Quick questions: if I replace my motherboard, CPU, RAM, and maybe graphics card on my homebuilt PC, will I need to totally re-install my Windows 7 OS? Or can the OS update proper drivers, etc. after the swap?

Thanks,

Sherm

The issue stems from replacing the motherboard. I'm no expert by any means about this, but I think it has to do with a change in the chipset that an OS will almost never adapt to, and thats especially true with system build versions of Windows 7. I remember trying this on a dell hard drive out of boredom to my newly built computer. I got lucky because the chipset was kind of similar, but the load time was ridiculously slow. All other components are easily swappable, even the CPU as long as the BIOS/Mobo support the processor.

Back up your data and drop the nuke on the hard drive.
  3. If you install a new motherboard, you should pretty much always reinstall the OS. If you don't, you'll have lingering driver conflicts and/or registry problems from the old stuff that will be almost impossible to untangle.

All the other components are much easier to swap, though, and shouldn't require a fresh OS.

In other words: Only replace the motherboard if you have a damn good reason.
  4. Thanks for all the great feedback. I've done "full" replacements before that just also happened to co-inside with my wanting to upgrade my OS anyway. But I've got my Windows 7 "just right..." and would like to avoid re-installing everything.

Thanks,

Sherm
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Motherboards Systems