Sign in with
Your question

Reinstall Windows after mobo swap?

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2010 1:44:59 AM

All,

Quick questions: if I replace my motherboard, CPU, RAM, and maybe graphics card on my homebuilt PC, will I need to totally re-install my Windows 7 OS? Or can the OS update proper drivers, etc. after the swap?

Thanks,

Sherm
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 1:59:32 AM

It may boot and let you uninstall the old and install the new driver, but the OS may not operate properly and may crash/freeze/BSOD all the time, or it may not even post. It is best to do a fresh install.
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:45:13 AM

ShermD3 said:
All,

Quick questions: if I replace my motherboard, CPU, RAM, and maybe graphics card on my homebuilt PC, will I need to totally re-install my Windows 7 OS? Or can the OS update proper drivers, etc. after the swap?

Thanks,

Sherm

The issue stems from replacing the motherboard. I'm no expert by any means about this, but I think it has to do with a change in the chipset that an OS will almost never adapt to, and thats especially true with system build versions of Windows 7. I remember trying this on a dell hard drive out of boredom to my newly built computer. I got lucky because the chipset was kind of similar, but the load time was ridiculously slow. All other components are easily swappable, even the CPU as long as the BIOS/Mobo support the processor.

Back up your data and drop the nuke on the hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2010 5:57:03 AM

If you install a new motherboard, you should pretty much always reinstall the OS. If you don't, you'll have lingering driver conflicts and/or registry problems from the old stuff that will be almost impossible to untangle.

All the other components are much easier to swap, though, and shouldn't require a fresh OS.

In other words: Only replace the motherboard if you have a damn good reason.
m
l
October 1, 2010 12:12:26 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I've done "full" replacements before that just also happened to co-inside with my wanting to upgrade my OS anyway. But I've got my Windows 7 "just right..." and would like to avoid re-installing everything.

Thanks,

Sherm
m
l
!