Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth just getting a cheap SSD for Windows only?

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2013 2:24:00 AM

Is it worth just buying a cheap SSD just for Windows OS only, and using a hard drive for everything else?

Or will this not make much of a difference in speed if I don't put my files in the SSD as well?

And if it is worth it, can you guys recommend me some good cheap SSD that's up for sale?

Thanks!
January 10, 2013 6:49:58 AM

Boot up, resume, and shutting down will have increased speeds. Look on newegg for solid state drives. The prices are now well under $1 per GB. The SSD and HDD setup is common. When you install programs that aren't write speed critical, install them to a specific folder on the hard drive, and vice versa for the solid state drive.

What you want to look for is read/write times. Look for 500+MB/s read&write. Also, sata III if your system supports it.
m
l
January 10, 2013 7:16:11 AM

it suffice to say that once u get used too SSD Speed u can never go back to HDD ...
( For ur OS Speed i mean ) ;) 
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 7:20:09 AM

For OS speed and load times, certainly. My 128GB just keeps filling up way too fast though. :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
January 10, 2013 7:38:28 AM

My personal opinion is that an SSD is the upgrade for any PC without a doubt!
Even on a system with say an older CPU like a core 2 etc. the speed difference is phenomenal. The only drawback is the price/capacity ratio, although prices have gone down you can still get a far larger HDD for the price of an SSD.
I would say that a ~120GB SSD installed as a main (OS) disk and a second large capacity HDD for storage is the best setup.
The one sure thing is that you will not be disapointed you got one!
m
l
!