Sign in with
Your question

Is a higher speed RAM is harmful for a lower speed processor?

Last response: in Memory
August 24, 2011 1:53:54 PM

Hello,

i just want to know generic question's answer from you that - is a higher speed RAM is harmful for a lower speed processor if I am not changing the processor speed internally to that of the RAM i.e. if I am not making any changes then....! say I am installing 1333MHz RAM that I already have for 800MHz Memory Controller speed of the Processor. Will this harm the system? I do know the useless though but will this harm the system in any possible way/s? Will this harm the system as the whole?

I have some questions in regards to my laptop - 'hp TouchSmart tm2 2050' memory memory upgrading possibilities!

I want to know - following the above hp laptop model, which is the most highest compatible RAM available for this model?!

Is Corsair Memory — '8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SODIMM Memory (CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9) SKU# CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9' compatible to this or not?

- Saurabh.
a b } Memory
August 31, 2011 12:26:46 PM

1. Is higher clocked RAM harmful to a system with slower memory controller (on CPU).

No it isn't. As long as the motherboard support the correct RAM form factor and the correct CPU socket (CPU model aswell, safer to check on manufacturers website) it does not matter in any way.

2. Highest compatible RAM for HP touchsmart...

DDR3-1333. Don't try faster or slower RAM, laptops are alot less forgiving.

Corsair RAM will PROBABLY work, but I would suggest Kingston, in general Kingston is more compatible to everything else.
a b } Memory
August 31, 2011 12:51:08 PM

It worn't make a performance difference because any computer shipped with ddr3 800 only works with ddr3 800.

If you buy the RAM it will run at DDR3 800 speeds so it should work if they are a supported capacity, slot, and voltage but it isn't certain.
a b } Memory
August 31, 2011 1:31:20 PM

blazorthon said:
It worn't make a performance difference because any computer shipped with ddr3 800 only works with ddr3 800.

If you buy the RAM it will run at DDR3 800 speeds so it should work if they are a supported capacity, slot, and voltage but it isn't certain.

There is no such thing as DDR3 800MHz RAM. The slowest DDR3 RAM is 1066MHz.
!