Sign in with
Your question

What power supply is compatible for the Motherboard?

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2010 3:20:34 PM

I am going to buy a GIGABYTE 890FX motherboard with a AMD phenom X6. What power supply should I buy and where does it list the requirement? In addition, can anyone recommend a good power supply to buy (you know. "bang for buck"). Thanks :D 

Also im planning on getting a Radeon 5770 but i might just get 2 cheaper graphics cards and put them in CrossFire. Im not sure. Which would be more cost effective but i still get more processor speed ? Planning on getting 1 4GB DDR3 to start off with and i might add more later as i need more

Thanks again :D 
December 28, 2010 4:11:12 PM

For one, you wouldn't want to crossfire two weaker cards than the 5770, it is "weak" enough as it is. Plus, its a very good card for the value.

You will likely need no more than a 600W power supply for this build, and to ensure you have enough power for future upgrades. I would def. get one that is 80+ certified. It might cost a few bucks more initially, but it will save money in the long run when power usage is considered.

I would suggest any of these brands: Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and OCZ.

December 28, 2010 4:21:07 PM

KBentley57 said:
For one, you wouldn't want to crossfire two weaker cards than the 5770, it is "weak" enough as it is. Plus, its a very good card for the value.

You will likely need no more than a 600W power supply for this build, and to ensure you have enough power for future upgrades. I would def. get one that is 80+ certified. It might cost a few bucks more initially, but it will save money in the long run when power usage is considered.

I would suggest any of these brands: Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and OCZ.

what do you mean by it is "weak" enough? I thought it was pretty good :( . er.. k. thats good. would a "CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply" be ok? and would that be a good deal for it? $50? What do you mean 80+ certified?.. and exactly how should my power setup look? will there be power cords going to all the components including the SATA parts and stuff even if they aren't being used or what??
Related resources
December 28, 2010 4:30:43 PM

I didn't mean weak in a bad way, just that It probably wouldn't make sense to xfire anything cheaper for the same performance of the 5770 - it would cost more than the 5770 itself. Sorry if I made the wrong point :) .

80+ certified means it has been tested, and it is above 80% efficient. This means that whatever power your system actually uses, it will use 120% of that from the wall. A less efficient power supply has to use more juice from the wall to accomplish the same task. Read up here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

December 28, 2010 10:15:03 PM

+1 for rolli59 on 6850.
About your CPU, it makes no sense to get a X6 for gaming, for no game uses more than 2 or 3 cores. I would go for an i5.
As for PSU, don't try to save money here. I am a long time fan of Seasonic, but Corsair or OCZ would be great.
Antec is great as well, but a bit noisy.
a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2010 10:26:52 PM

the corsair "builder series" has not been reviewed but it seems (by looking inside) to be of lesser quality. the antec ea650 rolli59 linked to would be good (i own it[well technicially its sitting on my shelf with all my other un-needed psus but still] i own it and would recommend it.

i also agree with galta about going for an i5-750.

the amd x6 is useless in gaming and an i5-7xx series quad-core may actually outperform it in games!
December 28, 2010 10:29:11 PM

galta said:
+1 for rolli59 on 6850.
About your CPU, it makes no sense to get a X6 for gaming, for no game uses more than 2 or 3 cores. I would go for an i5.
As for PSU, don't try to save money here. I am a long time fan of Seasonic, but Corsair or OCZ would be great.
Antec is great as well, but a bit noisy.

ehhh no i want to primarily use it for other things. not really gaming. i want it for the parallel processing especially. otherwise i would have gone for the i series :p . however i think.. and through benchmarks that the X6 beats alot of the i7's except for the really high up's and it is better pricewise so. i feel its a better deal.. hmm.. i cant save money on a PSU?. i see... also like.. would it be better to get a really expensive.. idk.. 1000W one. or 2 less expensive cheapish 500W. How can i save money on this? I really have quite a small budget and I want to put as much of that as i can on the actual big things like ram, graphics, and processor. thanks
a c 667 ) Power supply
a c 1026 V Motherboard
December 28, 2010 11:22:02 PM

RONNCC said:
ehhh no i want to primarily use it for other things. not really gaming. i want it for the parallel processing especially. otherwise i would have gone for the i series :p . however i think.. and through benchmarks that the X6 beats alot of the i7's except for the really high up's and it is better pricewise so. i feel its a better deal.. hmm.. i cant save money on a PSU?. i see... also like.. would it be better to get a really expensive.. idk.. 1000W one. or 2 less expensive cheapish 500W. How can i save money on this? I really have quite a small budget and I want to put as much of that as i can on the actual big things like ram, graphics, and processor. thanks

The PSU is the component in the computer that all the other parts rely on, it is the component that can take all the other bits with it.
!