Change OS to WinXP on a Acer?

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi,

Can I change the OS to WinXP on a Prebuilt Acer Aspire M5100 with Vista? I have the Acer Recovery CD's for a clean install...howerver I would like to do a clean install with XP & not have to load all the Acer proprietary junk.

When I built my current gaming rig I got ALL the CD's that come with the hardware, these you don't get with a prebuilt comp.

Thank you for the Help,
Jim937

arges86

Distinguished
all of the CD's that came w/ your hardware were drivers (and sometimes some demo software)
all of this stuff you can get online. Often you can get more updated versions of the software than whats on the disks.

all the critical drivers, windows will load when you first turn on the PC, but to get the improved/updated drivers you'll have to go to their website.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hi,

Thank you that's good to hear, my sister hopes to get 2 more years use. I upgraded the onboard video with a VC which helped it run better for gaming.

The Win XP Pro 32bit OEM I own, I purchased Win7 64bit OEM for my 1 year old build.

I feel the Acer will behave better if I do not reinstall all the Acer junkware...do you agree with this...or would you recommend the Acer recovery disc w/Vista?

Thank you for the Help,
Jim937

arges86

Distinguished
whenever i get a PC from a manufacturer, the first thing i do, is format the hard drive, and reinstall the OS for that exact reason.
Dell is prob. the worst offender of random stuff, but they all do it.