Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Palit GTX 460 Best Way To Go???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2010 3:51:15 AM

I'm planning on getting one or two (depending on my incoming funds next week) 1GB GTX 460s, but I don't know which brand to get. Palit's Sonic Platinum OC version has the fastest clock speeds and best benchmarking reviews I've found, but I don't know much about them. Also, some users are turning them down for better warranties from other companies. Is Palit the best way to go, or should I go with a different manufacturer?

More about : palit gtx 460

a b Î Nvidia
August 19, 2010 4:26:13 AM

Stock clock speeds really don't mean much if you plan to overclock. I'd personally go with the MSI GeForce N460GTX Cyclone if you don't mind overclocking which is actually very simple.

The Galaxy SOC has a slightly higher overclock than Palit's Sonic Platinum just so you know.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 19, 2010 7:23:35 AM

^+1
Just choose the normal GTX460, you always can OC it later by yourself... :) 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 19, 2010 7:56:41 AM

^+1 Agree! Suggest you try the factory clock first and see if you really need to OC it all. As for which card....MSI buddy! This one's for $234, but it's OC'd. :( 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The EVGA is for $239:

Asus at $229:

I would suggest you try and get an MSI 1 gig though, if you can find it, or even wait for it!
August 19, 2010 8:45:13 AM

Go with the Palit or Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1GB Goes Like Hell (~same card, different names). Ignore those ridiculous warranty stunts some makers pull - in the real world they are useless.

With the Palit or Gainward you will have no need to overclock the card, thus you will not void the precious warranty that EVGA "fan-boys" keep bragging about (or did they forget to mention the "Lifetime Limited(?) Warranty goes out the window the minute you overclock the cards?)...

Palit and Gainward are currently the fastest cards out there, besides they also ave good warranties (not that you will need them, since you wound need to overclock them).
m
l
August 19, 2010 8:58:19 AM

Northwolfe said:
Go with the Palit or Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1GB Goes Like Hell (~same card, different names). Ignore those ridiculous warranty stunts some makers pull - in the real world they are useless.

With the Palit or Gainward you will have no need to overclock the card, thus you will not void the precious warranty that EVGA "fan-boys" keep bragging about (or did they forget to mention the "Lifetime Limited(?) Warranty goes out the window the minute you overclock the cards?)...

Palit and Gainward are currently the fastest cards out there, besides they also ave good warranties (not that you will need them, since you wound need to overclock them).

So in your opinion, MSI/ Asus/ EVGA are junk because they offer warranties, eh? And you're calling other people 'fan-boys'! Ever used an MSI card?? Let's think twice before we become so generous with our comments., shall we?

For the OP:
MSI/ ASUS/ EVGA are the top-tier cards. (you can, by all means, go for this 'gainward' thingy...never really heard of them though!) The cards I suggested are known for their quality. I've always used MSI and have never had an issue...warranty, or otherwise. As for the OC'ing bit, it's completely your choice. In my view, one should try a card at its factory setting and then see if one needs to OC it at all.

Just my views...:) 
m
l
August 19, 2010 9:05:33 AM

I was under the impression that with XFX, EVGA and BFG, overclocking did not void the warranty?

nothwolfes post is therefore somewhat confusing...
m
l
August 19, 2010 9:22:41 AM

The GF104 chips (GTX 460) are good with overclocks as suggested by all reviewers.. However, overclocking does not comes with a warranty.. If you are skeptical in overclocking the card yourself then i too would recommend you to get the Palit.. They manufacture some very fine quality products.. Their cards are different from the reference models i.e. they have altered board designs and cooling solution which works well in conjugation.. Moreover, the amount of overclock applied on the platinum edition card is precisely the margin one would overclock his/her stock card..
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 19, 2010 9:25:02 AM

Northwolfe said:

I don't understand, you say they have good warranties but it's pointless, even though you don't need to overclock them...? What is this? I don't even? You just said overclocking voids the warranty but you're not overclocking so you don't need the warranty?

By that logic though, we should all buy Galaxy's GTX 460 Super Overclocked Edition which is overclocked higher than Palit's Sonic Platinum. Galaxy's edition also has better cooling, and a fan which can be cleaned more easily.

I know for sure overclocking EVGA cards won't void their warranty. XFX's warranty is modder-friendly so I'm assuming overclocks are fine as well. As for BFG... I'm not sure. Possibly, although they are out of business so getting a replacement would be quite difficult I suppose.
m
l
August 19, 2010 9:28:27 AM

true, i just have those three names in my head as being the manufacturers that allow overclocking.

emeprus' claims to appear to be very misleading though:

Quote:
overclocking does not comes with a warrant

Quote:
the amount of overclock applied on the platinum edition card is precisely the margin one would overclock his/her stock card..

not entirely false, but also not entirely true.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 19, 2010 9:37:49 AM

welshmousepk said:
Quote:
the amount of overclock applied on the platinum edition card is precisely the margin one would overclock his/her stock card..

not entirely false, but also not entirely true.

I'm assuming it's not entirely false because if the chips are binned the Palit's Sonic Platinum GTX 460s could go even further than most GTX 460s, and it's not entirely true because those who buy factory overclocked cards either are to afraid to overclock or do not know how to overclock, and so that you yourself do not need to overclock?

Am I right?
m
l
August 19, 2010 9:59:23 AM

Wrong choice of words on my part i guess.. Should've chosen guaranty rather than warranty.. My idea for the statement was not to pin point the manufacturer but the rather the user who would be overclocking.. I too am aware of EVGA's product warranties (right word this time i hope) and policies.. My second point is more of a continuation from my first point wherein a user can get the benefits of higher clock speeds, which those chips are capable of going, by going all out for a factory overclocked card.. And yes, there lots out there (including me) who are a little skeptical when it comes to self overclocking the GPU.. So these factory overclocked solutions are good for us.. Afterall, what's the point of getting a stock speed card when you are anyway intending on overclocking it.!! There factory overclocked cards come tested and will work right out of the box with higher speeds.. You may call it being afraid (may as well be the case) whereas i consider it playing safe..
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 19, 2010 10:08:18 AM

I understand that some may not want to overclock their cards, and believe that it could reduce operating lifetime. However, if you see reviews and other validations that the cards can run a bit higher than they're officially rated at, I don't see why you shouldn't overclock, although you are right in the sense that leaving the card running it at speeds it's certified to run at will ensure the longest lifetime possible.

For others though, a factory overclocked card doesn't make sense, they would think, 'Why pay $30 (or w/e the price it is) when I could do it myself in a minute or so?'. Some who intend to overclock pay for the factory overclocked cards too as most of the time they have better non-reference cooler designs.
m
l
August 19, 2010 10:11:18 AM

+1 to playing it safe.

However, for those who ARE alright with overclocking, it wouldn't matter, right? Anyways, today there are a gazillion forums/ articles/ tutorials to teach a newbie how to overclock....and we all learn only by taking the first step, right? :) 

Back to the OP: as suggested, any of the three brands (MSI/ EVGA/ ASUS) should do the trick for you. Also, if you're looking at getting a second 460 in future, I really don't see the need where you'll need to OC them! So, I would suggest you stick with factory settings and get any of the three cards....my pref: MSI.
m
l
August 19, 2010 1:09:50 PM

I actually just got my MSI GTX 460 1gb OC version. I picked up 2 of them and I am running in SLI mode. Core Clock is 725 and I haven't had to touch it. I Have run Just Cause 2, Metro 2033, and Starcraft 2 at full settings with no issues at all. Im sure most of the cards are very similar and offer about the same level of performance. If your looking for the best warranty grab EVGA, though the MSI is a 3 year and if your anything like me your gonna be upgrading your cards in a year or 2 anyway. I am extremely happy with my MSI cards. Hope my input helped on some level.

ASUS P7P55D-E Premium
Intel I5 750
4gb Gskill Ripjaw
Corsair Hydro H50
2@ MSI GTX 460 SLI
OCZ VertexII SSD Boot Drive
WD Caviar Black 500gb
750w Corsair PSU
m
l
a c 439 Î Nvidia
August 19, 2010 8:24:53 PM

Get two of the Gainward GTX 460 "Goes Like Hell" 2GB cards in SLI and blow away anything on the planet.... if you live in Europe that is, they're not available in the US.
m
l
August 19, 2010 10:04:29 PM

I vote for the Asus GTX 460 1Gb.

And NO, Asus will not void your warranty when overclocking, the card comes with Smart Doctor which lets you raise the clocks and voltage. Of course if you push the card past its voltage threshold and it dies then that means you had no clue as to what you were doing and YES the warranty is void.
m
l
August 20, 2010 10:05:47 AM

^+1 on Asus warranty. Palit IS good, but not one of the better ones. MSI>Asus>EVGA.
m
l
August 20, 2010 7:28:08 PM

Best answer selected by boiler1990.
m
l
August 20, 2010 7:28:45 PM

I think I'll go with the MSI. Sounds like it's a popular, well-made piece of PCB and silicon ;) 
m
l
August 21, 2010 4:17:51 AM

namelessonez said:
So in your opinion, MSI/ Asus/ EVGA are junk because they offer warranties, eh? And you're calling other people 'fan-boys'! Ever used an MSI card?? Let's think twice before we become so generous with our comments., shall we?

For the OP:
MSI/ ASUS/ EVGA are the top-tier cards. (you can, by all means, go for this 'gainward' thingy...never really heard of them though!) The cards I suggested are known for their quality. I've always used MSI and have never had an issue...warranty, or otherwise. As for the OC'ing bit, it's completely your choice. In my view, one should try a card at its factory setting and then see if one needs to OC it at all.

Just my views...:) 

I did not say they where junk, you must have misinterpreted what I wrote. What was referring to the huge warranty claims that some companies make (can you explain to me what a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY means?), three year warrenties are more then enough.

As for MSI - it's currently my favorite brand, I own more then a few things from them and don't buy even more cause they are hard to find in Europe. I consider their Cyclone series the best card on the market. If you look at my other posts you will see I always recommend them. Also have 3 Asus Mobo's so...

Might I remind you that a few years ago BFG offered the, apparently, best and longest warranties for the GTX200 series - fortunately, at the time I chose the XFX GTX285XXX series. If I had chosen BFG what exactly would my warranty be worth?

Palit and Gainward have a reasonable warranty policy and, if you bother reading the fine print on other partner's apparent longer policies, theirs isn't a publicity stunt - just an honest and reasonably long warranty.

It would be a very good idea for a series of Tom's Hardware articles - the 'small-print' and real-world value of hardware warranties... Or they could include the value of the warranty in their normal reviews...

I assure you there would be some surprises ;) 
m
l
August 21, 2010 4:31:29 AM

Lmeow said:
I don't understand, you say they have good warranties but it's pointless, even though you don't need to overclock them...? What is this? I don't even? You just said overclocking voids the warranty but you're not overclocking so you don't need the warranty?

By that logic though, we should all buy Galaxy's GTX 460 Super Overclocked Edition which is overclocked higher than Palit's Sonic Platinum. Galaxy's edition also has better cooling, and a fan which can be cleaned more easily.

I know for sure overclocking EVGA cards won't void their warranty. XFX's warranty is modder-friendly so I'm assuming overclocks are fine as well. As for BFG... I'm not sure. Possibly, although they are out of business so getting a replacement would be quite difficult I suppose.

I was just suggesting that if you don't want to overclock a card - and many don't - you are better off buying a SOC version. As for EVGA, you pay $20/30 for a Limited Lifetime Warranty - this must be a joke, sure isn't English. Wait I know, it's Lawyer talk for "let's squeeze a couple of bucks from the idiots that don't read the fine print"!
Their (EVGA's) cards are great - don't get me wrong - but their warranty is nothing but a publicity stunt...

Anybody remember BFG? Same warranty policy and look what it's worth today...paper-wait...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 21, 2010 5:08:46 AM

Alright. Just so you know, EVGA's AR versions which come with lifetime warranty are $10 more expensive or so.
m
l
August 21, 2010 5:11:31 AM

Northwolfe said:
I was just suggesting that if you don't want to overclock a card - and many don't - you are better off buying a SOC version.

well now at days it would be practically insane not to overclock unless the card is overkill to begin with. All you need to do is move 2 sliders to the right and test for stability, you can get up to a 25% gain for free so it's kind of a no-brainer. Normally OC'ed versions are the exact same models as the non-OC'ed versions with a bump in clock speeds. This can be done manually and you pocket the extra cash. As for users that do not overclock their cards, well most of them are either clueless and do not want to mess with the settings or they can care less if the card is under performing and would rather upgrade the GPU before messing with the clocks. I find it to be a waste of potential when someone spends good money on a GPU that is capable of so much more and they leave it at stock. My 2 cents :) 
m
l
August 21, 2010 7:59:19 AM

Quote:
(can you explain to me what a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY means?)

Surely! But for the sake of brevity, I'll put up the link where we recently had a chance to discuss the issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

Guess that should help you understand where I'm coming from. :) 

To the OP:
Good call! :)  Enjoy...
m
l
August 21, 2010 3:40:14 PM

So in terms of warranty, who do you think has the best?
m
l
August 22, 2010 11:11:44 AM

namelessonez said:
Quote:
(can you explain to me what a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY means?)

Surely! But for the sake of brevity, I'll put up the link where we recently had a chance to discuss the issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

Guess that should help you understand where I'm coming from. :) 

To the OP:
Good call! :)  Enjoy...

Thanks for the links, even though I intended the question to be rhetorical. These articles, and the BFG case, will surely be more adequate for my lawyers...

P.S. Almost everything having to do with hardware, and said manufactures warranty claims, is nothing but BS - at best a publicity stunt. After all who in their right mind can understand their "lawyer talk" and their claims/disclaims/claims/disclaims games?
Being this such a volatile market who is to say a certain brand will even be around in one or two years time? Look at BFG, from one of the most reputable brands to a swindler to a non-existing entity...

P.P.S. Again, thank you very much for the interesting reading. You own me ten Aspirins ;) 
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:29:12 AM

Northwolfe said:
Thanks for the links, even though I intended the question to be rhetorical. These articles, and the BFG case, will surely be more adequate for my lawyers...

P.S. Almost everything having to do with hardware, and said manufactures warranty claims, is nothing but BS - at best a publicity stunt. After all who in their right mind can understand their "lawyer talk" and their claims/disclaims/claims/disclaims games?
Being this such a volatile market who is to say a certain brand will even be around in one or two years time? Look at BFG, from one of the most reputable brands to a swindler to a non-existing entity...

P.P.S. Again, thank you very much for the interesting reading. You own me ten Aspirins ;) 

The pleasure was all mine! ;)  Just lemme know where to send you my bill....all this tantamounts to legal advise! Just kidding... ;) 

See? I saved you another couple of aspirins.
m
l
!