Problems with svchost - DCOM process

August 20, 2005 3:43:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,m.p.w.general,m.p.w.help_and_support,m.p.w.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have a Dell desktop 3 Ghz 1 Meg ram running XP Pro, and the thing has
been slow since I got it. Mostly this shows up as a lag when programs
load. For example, it takes a few seconds to load Word, whereas on my
work laptop (also XP) it snaps to life in less than a second.

I ran all sorts of spyware killers, found nothing. I killed every
non-vital process, still nothing. Finally I killed the svchost.exe
process launced by the DCOM service, and the slow problem went away. Of
course, the computer no longer worked right because it needs that service.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

David
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:01:17 PM

From a command prompt;
tasklist /svc
now match up the PID with the Image name found in Task Manager|Processes

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]