Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Boot + HDD Storage in Win8

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2013 4:26:18 AM

Hey all,

I've just built a new machine with two drives. I have a SanDisk Extreme SATA III 240gb SSD for a boot drive and a WD Caviar Blue SATA II HDD that I wanted to use as file storage. I've installed Win 8 Pro 64 on the SSD and it's working fine but my HDD isn't showing in explorer. If I go to Device Manager or Storage Pool it shows the WD drive but if I go to Disk Management, it's nowhere to be found. I was hoping to just set it up as an F drive or something to use for program installs and general clutter. What am I missing?

More about : ssd boot hdd storage win8

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 10, 2013 4:51:11 AM

I had issues with my HDD showing up too. Make sure it appears in the BIOS. Also, plug your HDD into a different mobo port. Also, double check it is getting power. These might seem obvious but easy checks too.
January 10, 2013 5:00:03 AM

I figured it out. I had accidentally added it to a Storage Pool before it was formatted. I removed it from the pool, went back into disk management and was able to format it as a simple F drive. I think I'm good.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 10, 2013 6:52:31 AM

Just curious. Why did you buy a 240gb SSD instead of a 120/128gb?
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:35:53 PM

I got it free from a relative who had it laying around from a project. Way bigger than I would have bought for myself but couldn't argue with the price :) 
m
l
January 10, 2013 4:52:15 PM

Best answer selected by Negative459.
m
l
!