Failing motherboard?... replacements?

animus_divinus

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
hey everyone.. ive been having some issues.. i have a gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard.. and my problems started out with BSOD daily, did the windows and the memtest86 memory tests on the RAM, no problems there, doubt its the HDD, even reinstalled windows and linux, no change

now besides BSOD, my computer is also locking up, sometimes upon booting up itll freeze, and today after it froze and i attempted to restart it... it held out a beep for 2 seconds, paused for one, beeped for two, paused for one... did this for about 10 beeps with a black screen before anything would load up, not even the BIOS came up... so my thoughts is that this all points to a failing motherboard

i have 2gb DDR3 i believe it is, athlon 64 x4 processor 500 gig harddrive, and im using the onboard HD4200 graphics

my questions..

do you guys agree these are the signs of a failing motherboard?

and if so...

are there any recommendations on a better, more durable, reliable motherboard?

thanks in advance for any help

beenthere

Distinguished
Gigabyte mobos are some of the best quality and most reliable so it's unlikely the mobo is failing but anything is possible. Have you checked the CPU and GPU temps? Is there any pattern to when you get a BSOD like under heavy load, gaming, or ??? What PSU are you using? These fail more often than mobos in my experience? Do you have another PSU that you could try? Have you tried re-seating the CPU/heatsink?

As you can see it's difficult trying to identify what is causing a problem in a PC when it happens...

animus_divinus

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
temperature remains between 45-50 degrees celcius which seems to be normal so i dont think there are any issues with overheating.. and it usually happens after i turn my computer on for the day, fan seems to be working too.

so it has to be either something with the motherboard or the PSU, however i dont have a replacement PSU right now, and im not sure what would cause the series of long beeps i mentioned before.. in my experience everytime a power supply fails, the entire computer fails to turn on so im cautious about blaming that

also, i havent played any games on here since before the issues started happening and havent used any other resource hungry applications

TRENDING THREADS