Sign in with
Your question

Help diagnosing my problem

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2010 5:59:46 PM

I have recently started having intermittent freezing on my PC. It seems to have no rythme or reason to when it happens, whether it be while gaming or just surfing. No BSOD or error message occurs, the PC just hard freezes with the HDD light solid red.

Some symptoms I've observed.

-Lately when attempting to turn on the PC the power/LED lights will flicker as if its attempting to power on, but never turns on completely. Unplugging/Replugging the PSU fixes the problem.

-Memtest is finding errors on serveral different tests, but they never seem to be consistent. I have 4x 1gb DDR and have tryed any/all combination of memory in different slots - still fails.

All drivers up to date including bios.

Specs:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
AMD 64 x2 5600+ (stock speeds w/ aftermarket cooler)
4gb (4x 1GB) Corsair XMS 2 DDR2
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V Power Supply

I'm a novice PC builder and can reasonable narrow the problem down to 2 components - the PSU or the Mobo. I'd really like to find out exactly what is wrong before I spend the money on replacement parts. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about : diagnosing problem

December 28, 2010 6:10:28 PM

Sounds like you need to test each stick individually in order to find out what stick or sticks are bad. How long has the PC run before it started displaying this problem? Have you set proper timings and dram voltage in bios?
m
l
December 28, 2010 6:13:22 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Sounds like you need to test each stick individually in order to find out what stick or sticks are bad. How long has the PC run before it started displaying this problem? Have you set proper timings and dram voltage in bios?

Can you test dual channel matched sticks individually? I've tested each pair individually in the 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th slots respectively. The ram fails in all combinations, but usually on different tests.
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2010 6:19:14 PM

Yep, you can run/test one stick at a time.
m
l
December 28, 2010 6:41:14 PM

I was treating the failed memtests as a symptom of a greater problem. The flickering when attempting to power on the PC is most troubling and would point to a bad PSU or Mobo. This could, in turn, cause memory errors that would otherwise not be there with good hardware backing it up?
m
l
December 28, 2010 6:59:08 PM

It's a possibility, but without a multimeter you can't test the power supply. What does HW Monitor say the voltages are or eversest if you have it would be better.
m
l
December 28, 2010 7:19:06 PM

VCORE - 1.26V
VIN1 - 3.18V
+5V - 4.78
+12V - 11.84
+5V VCCH - 4.73
VBAT - 2.94
+3.3V - 3.34

Per HW monitor
m