I7 950 vs X6 1090T Black

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Greetings all. O.K. Im new to this so if im causing greif let me know . I will modify my style.

My question is Which platform is best. I can build on either of the 2 CPU's Listed in the thread name for very close to the same money.
I guess you all would need a bit of information to be able to give good advice. So here goes.
Finaly for the first time i have enough (around $3000 AU) to build a worthwhile system. I have had a lot more AMD based platforms in the past than Intel. But i am not committed to or against either of them.
I originally researched and priced an AMD solution purely from the belief that the equivalent Intel option would be significantly more expensive. Turns out that i was wrong, I think!
I live in Perth (west Australia) Which is relevant how you ask? Well going into a shop out here and asking about AMD gets a reaction akin to vomiting on the salesman's desk. That said i did eventualy find a shop (PLE computers) Willing to work with "the other chip company"
It was here that the posability of an Intel System loomed when the guy said he could do a good 17 system for the same cost. Show me i said. He Did
i7 950 , GA-X58A-UD5, 12GB Kingston DDR3 C9 1600mhz, XFX HD5870 850M , Spinpoint F3 1TB ,LG BluRay writer, Corsair 850W PSU , Centurion 690 II, 24" Asus monitor .

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah well took a look you would see that i already replied to that one.Still there quite a lot to plow through there, so i could see why you wouldn't pay it too much attention. Also i don't entirely think i did post two threads the same. Another user happened to post a thread with the same title on the same day as me. I think that that(sic) is the duplication.
You are right about the memory for sure. I have been doing my own research into this as well 6 gig be plenty. If i go 6gig on that, and delete the BluRay writer i save nearly the cost of a 120gig Revodrive for the O.S. Which is an appealing idea.
It seems to me however that the gpu setup i outlined ( 1 ati 5850 or similar)is nowhere near enough to make use of a i7 950. It looks like crossfire or sli is the only way to use the processors potential. I cant afford two video cards costing $500(+) each in order to be able to play games at the same type of detail as you can get on a consol for less then the price of one gpu .
So i think i might just stick to the consols for games. Use the pc for video and sound file editing.
You know that PC games only account for about 5% of the market these days. The times they are a changing !! Sorry about the grief i may have caused you . Thanks for the heads up about the memory.
yours, Flawed.

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Thanks for taking an interest. Could you explain to me a bit about what sort of programs use a lot cores. I thought that it would be video and sound file editing, but i'm not sure what else. I look to the future and think that software writers will make increasingly better use of multiple cores as they inevitably become more and more mainstream.
Thanks ,Flawed.

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Great way to get a newcomer to close a thread when it's not really been solved. But the memory problem you pointed out was the best answer purely because it saves a chunk of money.
Should i have posted this as a discussion rather than a thread ?
I may be wrongly reading between the lines , but i get the feeling that you are a bit annoyed with me.
If that's the case i am sorry. But you have to start somewhere. Protocols over the net seem a bit strange to me at times. It's very hard to judge the tone of emails and similar items. Maybe its just me who has this trouble.
Flawed.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
No not really, annoyed, the link I gave is a template to provide us with the information necessary to help you in turn. Which is what I think I said. Dunno.

Also when you said:
Greetings all. O.K. Im new to this so if im causing greif let me know

and I said:
Just a heads up multiple threads for the same reason falls under the "grief" category.

How did you manage to get butt-hurt over that?

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hey cmcghee358 I'm not "butt hurt". Just unsure. And i got it wrong by the looks of things. Apologies tendered.
As i said the other thread as far as i can tell was coincidentally put up by another user, with the same title and on the same date as mine.
I did end up posting a half written thread first off by mistake. But i got a message back saying it hadn't been accepted, due to it being poorly written or similar, I hit a button to confirm mass delete and started again.
So I am pleased that i hadn't annoyed you .
And, point taken.
I did ask to be told if i was "causing grief"
Put it down to my paranoia. Case closed ? I hope no harm done.
Thanks for your input. I pretty sure i will go for an intel system. But i will be tweaking the specs a bit to try and get a more balanced platform. Good article on Toms in 4 parts that i have been reading up on covering that. I suppose all the information i need is probably to be found on these pages. Just hoping to shortcut it a bit by asking for info on the forum. Being a bit lazy i guess.
Finally, showing my total lack of knowledge, how does your link form a template? Where does it link to ?
Thanks.
Flawed.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

O.K. Now you've been good enough to point the way to the links i see that each one is like 1/2 of the post i intended to put up. Don't know how i managed that. But i have a knack for chaos!
The unfortunate thing is that if you read either 1/2 of the post it's missing relevant info for anyone to be able to give a good answer and doesn;t really make total sense!(as i am sure you, and others noticed.)
Funny thing is, when i pull the thread up on my pc at the forum it shows as one complete posting on my screen, not two 1/2 posts.
And I get a contiguous list of posts, everyone of which i have replied to. It would probably be best if the whole thing was removed and i started again. I would be happy to do that . But i'm not sure if that's the normal thing to do , or how to do it. "Cos spam is something that really gives me "butt hurts". So I wouldn't want to be involved in propagating it. And I see your point.
Can the thread be terminated?
Flawed

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

O.K. I had not noticed that the word "this" was your link. I just gave it a look and i will try and follow your advice to the best of my ability. I have already done a fair bit of reading up on this site and others. But starting from such a poor knowledge base ... Well i have some more reading to do.
Give us a few days i will get my act together and try again. Using your template.
Yours.
Flawed.

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Thanks, cmcghee358.
Haven't put me off. I look at a few sites similar to this ,and "Toms" seems the most assessable /useful/ freindly one .
I confess to not understanding a deal of what i read here. It's difficult playing catchup with something that evolves so quickly.
It's just been a bit hard for me to work out how to use this site, and work out better ways to use the forum. I will admit to being a bit cack handed with this sort of stuff. I always have been. I don't have any intuitive grasp of this kind of technology.If there's a way of doing it wrong i will, inevitably, it seems find it .
Although i don't consider myself a to be fool. I often flounder over relatively simple tasks when they are web / IT type things.
That said, me getting a powerful computer is possibly akin to a small child getting an AK47 for Christmas!! Lets hope that I use the potential "only for good" ho, ho, . bye now.
Flawed.