Last response: in Components
December 28, 2010 8:43:04 PM

First of all, here are my rig specs:
ASUS M4A78L-M motherboard
Phenom II x4 955 CPU
4GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz
Temporarily using onboard graphics
250GB Seagate HDD

So about a week ago, my PC started acting strange after I took the graphics card out. When windows booted up, the hard drive would repeatedly start losing power every few seconds (causing windows 7 to crash, no BSOD though).
I replaced the hard drive, but the same thing happens. The strange thing is though, it would work 100% normal in safe mode.
So then I tried to reinstall windows, but it keeps crashing in the same place each time. I tried reinstalling on both hard drives, but both crash after a certain amount of time.
I then found an old Casecom 300w PSU lying about, which I used to power the hard drive and DVD drive ALONE (because it wouldent be powerful enough for the whole system).
I then again tried reinstalling windows - and SUCCESS!
BUT, after logging into windows for the first time, I noticed that the screen was sort of "shimmering", the pixels were wobbling a bit, and the mouse was freezing every few seconds. Everything seemed a bit slow and unresponsive.
So it does look like a faulty PSU, but why would it work in safe mode?
Any suggestions? Thanks :) 

More about : psu dying

a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2010 8:49:36 PM

brand of the said failing psu please
a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2010 8:51:16 PM

model and brand of the( Probably) failing psu???
Related resources
December 28, 2010 9:29:00 PM

obsidian86 said:
brand of the said failing psu please

Oh sorry I forgot to put it in the first post :o 
Its a Thermaltake Toughpower Qfan 650w power supply. Thermaltake is a decent brand right?
a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2010 9:35:45 PM

thermaltake is so-so. they have some terrible ones and some good ones...for example the tr2 series is abysmal junk. but tbh i think the tufpwr qfan is alright...but someone else should say cuz im not sure :) 
December 28, 2010 10:48:09 PM

the freezing mouse, Shimmering and slowness will be down to the on-board graphics chip, there brutally bad, in most cases any way.

I have heard in some rare cases that People have taken a component out with out unplugging from the mains and or turning the PSU off by its little on off switch (with the PC off, just still plugged in), and its been a bit temperamental afterwards...usually, iv heard that leaving the hole thing plugged (from the mains) for 5/30 minutes and or a few resets usually makes the PSU realise that said component isnt there and doesn't require power. like i said, a few RARE cases.

I have had this same problem when i was still a wee whipper snapper, i cant remember how i fixed it tho... =/ i think after a little while it just sorta worked.

but i would test the system out on another Capable PSU beore buying a replacement. Unless you are in the middle of upgrading your graphics cards then i would probably upgrade/ buy a new PSU anyway
December 28, 2010 11:14:55 PM

1000FPS said:

So it does look like a faulty PSU, but why would it work in safe mode?
Any suggestions? Thanks :) 

Safe mode doesn't load as many drivers or services ostensibly using less power and using fewer features of the different pieces of hardware. Win7 in Aero mode will use the 3D features of a video card and classic mode will not to my understanding.

Regardless of that, I recommend plugging the 300W PSU you had lying around into the whole rig. It should have just enough juice to run your setup without blowing up (try to stick with onboard graphics). If everything runs fine and stable for a day or two, then your Thermaltake PSU is to blame.

If your video is still messed up, try a discreet graphics card (something low power, ala radeon HD 5450 or some other older entry level card). If the video fixes itself with the discreet card then it's your on board video that is to blame.

When building a system, the PSU is the most important part IMHO. I always spend extra money on a quality PSU as it protects ones hardware from damage (by not breaking or by supplying cleaner power) and will last a whole lot longer than a budget power supply.
a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2010 11:18:17 PM

do NOT use that lousy 300w psu. a good 300w could do it but not a CASECOM
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 3:47:23 AM

Use a multimeter and see if the voltages are correct.
December 29, 2010 6:29:00 AM

Quote:
What shovenose said. Agree

Go into device manager. Then click on your first sata controller. Then properties on the drive. Tell me what does the disk speed report?

Go into device manager? Lol I cant do that, windows is so slow and unresponsive that I cant even click on start :( 
December 29, 2010 6:31:11 AM

shovenose said:
do NOT use that lousy 300w psu. a good 300w could do it but not a CASECOM

Yeah its only got 10A on the 12v rail lol pathetic.
December 29, 2010 6:32:21 AM

PreferLinux said:
Use a multimeter and see if the voltages are correct.

In the BIOS, the 3.3, 5, and 12v rails all seem to be the correct voltage. Strange.
December 29, 2010 6:50:04 AM

Confusedracoon said:
the freezing mouse, Shimmering and slowness will be down to the on-board graphics chip, there brutally bad, in most cases any way.

I have heard in some rare cases that People have taken a component out with out unplugging from the mains and or turning the PSU off by its little on off switch (with the PC off, just still plugged in), and its been a bit temperamental afterwards...usually, iv heard that leaving the hole thing plugged (from the mains) for 5/30 minutes and or a few resets usually makes the PSU realise that said component isnt there and doesn't require power. like i said, a few RARE cases.

I have had this same problem when i was still a wee whipper snapper, i cant remember how i fixed it tho... =/ i think after a little while it just sorta worked.

but i would test the system out on another Capable PSU beore buying a replacement. Unless you are in the middle of upgrading your graphics cards then i would probably upgrade/ buy a new PSU anyway

I used the onboard before, and it was fine. And it didnt do it in safe mode, either. It was doing it all the way through the windows installation. Soon after I wrote the last post, I ordered a new Corsair 650w with next day delivery, so it should arrive here today so I can test it :) 
December 29, 2010 3:36:13 PM

Small bump :) 
a c 1203 ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 4:10:50 PM

Have you tried clearing the CMOS and re-entering the correct settings in BIOS?

When you removed the discrete graphics card what did you change the Primary Video Controller setting in the BIOS SETUP Utilty --> Advanced Settings --> Chipset --> Internal Graphics? [IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI] or did you leave it at [GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI]?
December 29, 2010 7:22:57 PM

ko888 said:
Have you tried clearing the CMOS and re-entering the correct settings in BIOS?

When you removed the discrete graphics card what did you change the Primary Video Controller setting in the BIOS SETUP Utilty --> Advanced Settings --> Chipset --> Internal Graphics? [IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI] or did you leave it at [GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI]?

Yes I did do that. But that shouldnt make a difference should it?
January 1, 2011 3:17:51 PM

Ok so I finally installed my new Corsair 650w PSU in the system, and everything works now! So it was a faulty power supply - thanks guys :) 
!